"OFFICIAL" 3500 GTIS/Sebring series I & II photo thread. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

"OFFICIAL" 3500 GTIS/Sebring series I & II photo thread.

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Enzo Who?, Jan 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    #51 jonack, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are a few pics of my car #0167 SII, 1964 september build date. The picture of the car
    while painted Yellow is BEFORE the restoration started. The pics of it in primer are about 2 months old. By now the body as been completely blocked and should be ready for paint.
    We are also working on the engine, liners have been taken out and the head studs are on their way as well. The fuel metering unit was rebuilt by Harm Klijn in Holland.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, not a big fan of yellow cars I must admit that the Sebring looks nice in that color.

What color did you chose now? Hope not silver as with the most cars.......

Ciao!
    Walter

3. datafeil

datafeil Rookie

Oct 17, 2008
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Kimm Saatvedt
    The first yellow Sebring I have seen!

My Sebring II was also delivered in yellow, in December 1964. I agree with Walter it is not the best color for the Sebring, nor is my red.

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    No, I have to correct you here - I wrote in my preious post that the Sebring II looks nice in yellow, although I am not a big fan of this color.

Ciao!
    Walter

5. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Anybody have Sebring 2 body numbers for me?
    Also spare parts you've found with a number stamped, which may be from a broken up car.
    Rich

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
  7. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
  8. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    Judging from the VIN it was probably built in 1964. Sometimes titles reflect first registration date as the manufactured date. Mine is 101.02099 and was delivered in February 1964.
    By the way, Sebrings look much better with wires.
    carnutz

9. lussoman

lussoman Karting

Sep 7, 2008
    This ebay Sebring is so poorly listed, very inaccurate. It is a 1964 listed in Olaf registry as the 8th from the last one made. The pictures don't show much but it has a Ferrari 250 heat shield on over the exhaust headers. I agree, the car look so much better with Borranis although no many of them came with wire wheels. These sebring are so undervalued at the moment.

http://www.olaf-boecking.de/index.php?nav_1=telaioliste&nav_2=Sebring%201st%20series%203,5%20l&nav_3=AM*101/02.113&language=eng

Chris

10. lussoman

lussoman Karting

Sep 7, 2008
    Hi,

Just listed a Series 1 Sebring body shell and chassis roller with suspension, steering and differential on ebay if anyone is interest. Very straight body and chassis as a great source for panels.

Send Pm if interested

Walter the vin number is 2079

Chris

11. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    #61 johnei, Jun 5, 2011
  12. LewM

LewM Rookie

Jun 19, 2011
    #62 LewM, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
    In fairness to the seller, if you read the ad copy in detail, he does say that the car is a -1964-65, but it was first titled in 1967. I went to see this car. I am interested in buying it, but i have nothing to compare it to; I have not seen a Sebring "in the flesh" since the early 60's, when I lusted for one. Can someone point out to me where you see the "incorrect" Ferrari heat shield? Should that be any real problem? It could just be removed. The chassis is #330 of 348 series I's made. Now that I understand that there were two series, I prefer the series I for looks. It has a lumpy idle on the correct original Lucas FI, but it runs great with no smoke, etc. Is lumpy idle OK? The seller was unable to locate replacement windshield rubber, so after the re-paint he had to re-use the original rubber, which is aged and cracked a bit here and there. Plus the engine compartment could stand a bit of a clean-up. Even though the price on this one is high, I have to think these cars are seriously undervalued when I look at recent prices of Aston Martin DB5 and plain jane Ferraris of the same era. Any comments on that?

Can one find the appropriate wire wheels and hubs these days, should I get crazy? Thanks for any input.

Thanks for that photo of the 1961 prototype. It is fascinating in that it appears to use the headlight treatment that was later adopted for the series II, but it is like a series I in most other ways.

13. chrismalish

chrismalish Rookie

Jun 26, 2011
    I was interested in the silver "1967" (really 64/65) ebay Sebring too. Is it possible to verify a Sebring like this is "matching numbers," i.e., the engine is the one it left the factory with, without documentation? For example, is there a number stamped somewhere on the engine that matches a number on the chassis or data plate?

Also, I noticed that the silver Sebring on offer on ebay had an emblem on the trunk designating it as a 3700 GT. I though the 3.7 liter motors were available until the Series II Sebrings came out. Is it possible that this silver one, if it was late in the production run (8th from end) could have been originally equipped with the 3.7?

Thanks,

Chris

14. maserich

maserich Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Hi Chris
    Send me an email and I'll send images of the engine numbers. Head and block are stamped with chassis numbers.
    I have seen an early series 2 car with a 3.7, but perhaps it was finished late.
    Rich
    [email protected]

15. abo78

abo78 Karting

Sep 5, 2008
    Denmark
    Hi Chris

Does it mean that the engine no. is stamped two places on the engine? (Head and block) - I thought it only was stamped one place(on the block)!

Best regards
    ABO

16. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #66 thecarnut, Sep 1, 2011
    On the Sebrings II and Mistrals the VIN is stamped on the block and head. Not sure about the Sebring I. In addition, there is also a unique engine number stamped on the left front of the engine, near the water pump. Sometimes (not always) factory records will also contain this number.

This photo is from a Mistral cylinder head.

Ivan

17. abo78

abo78 Karting

Sep 5, 2008
    Denmark
    Dear Ivan

Thank you for your reply and information. I will check on my Sebring series I.

Best regards
    ABO

18. fidjeland

fidjeland Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jan Fidjeland

The car now actually resides in Sweden since June 1, 2013
    The car is fresh from a long renovation and now need to be run / beded in properly.
    I´m presently researching the history of the car as is possible.
    The car was originally sold to a Mr Laurenti in Rome.
    After that the trail goes cold for a while.
    The car turns up in Britain presumably owned by the founding father of a firm called Europarts.
    Then Alan Carrington bought the car and sold it presumably to an garage owner called Hans Bakker in Holland
    Hans Bakker sold the car to a gentleman by the name of Marcel Zwaneveld who sold it to Pieter Noordman.Both in Holland.
    Pieiter Noordman set about completing the renovation which took about 4 years.
    The Sebring was then sold to Rutger Houtkamp from whom I bought it.
    Does anyone of you all out there know anything more about this particular car?
    Kind regards,
    Jan Fidjeland
    PS I have seen that there earlier existed another Sebring register that was run by an Olaf Boecking. This site doesn´t exist any more nor does his company. Do you know what happened? Would be nice to know if a Sebring register is in the making.

19. fidjeland

fidjeland Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jan Fidjeland
    #69 fidjeland, Aug 7, 2013
    Some photos taken by the Dutch photographer Peter Boudestein when the car was still with Pieter Noordman

20. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Wow.....

21. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Very, very nice.

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Great photos of a great car!

23. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Jan,

Olaf Boecking does not put his hands on any Maserati anymore --and that`s good!!!
    I have a Sebring register but have no intention to put it on the IT.

24. fidjeland

fidjeland Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jan Fidjeland
    Walter,
    Hmm..problem...that was my guess re. Olof Boecking.
    Very interested in your Sebring register. Will send you a person email.
    Kind regards,
    Jan

25. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    Beautiful, beautiful car! Nice owner too!
    Can't wait to test drive it. See you soon Jan.