Official "All the strange things that my F1 equipped Ferrari has done to me" thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Official "All the strange things that my F1 equipped Ferrari has done to me" thread

Discussion in '360/430' started by RayJohns, Feb 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- The clutch position sensor can be replaced without removing the transaxle on both the 360 and F430 according to Brian Crall.

2. C Alexander

C Alexander Karting

May 9, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mr. H
    First week of ownership:

1. Upon opening door, drained battery caused contacts on F1 relay to remain closed, which led to long F1 pump priming and failure within a minute. Fuse was also out.

2. Had no idea what the issue was so I replaced the F1 fuse thinking it was at fault. Stepped out of the driveway, made it 150 feet before it completely left me in N. Called tow truck, paid $150 to slowly tow it back to the driveway...

3. Did my research, ordered some parts on ebay, replaced relay, fuse, pump and purged system. No problems since :)

3. Ferrari-F1

Ferrari-F1 Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Southern California
    +1

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mr H- How did you "purge" the system?

5. Ferrari-F1

Ferrari-F1 Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Southern California
    I think people with these problems have never owned an F1 transmission

6. ferrari502

ferrari502 Rookie

Jun 4, 2013
    Vancouver BC
    When coming to a stop, is it normal to hear a clunk noise when it automatically downshifts from second to first gear?

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes. it doesn't do it every time but occasionally. Doesn't tend to do it at all once the system is warmed up.

8. Dave430

Dave430 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah I had the same thing on my Aston Martin V8V (same trans I believe). It would usually clunk when it self shifted from 2nd to 1st if I was slowing to a stop. I usually tried to downshift it myself but above 2500rpm in 2nd otherwise it would lurch.

9. GyllesSmyth

GyllesSmyth Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    CGS
    When I first picked up my 360 Spider, I encountered what seemed like a couple of common F1 issues:

* some harsh shifting (bounce your head off the headrest kind of shifts), particularly at lower RPMs while driving around town, and

* inability to use reverse once the clutch was too warm (real problem when you live in a high rise where the garage has narrow corridors and really narrow parking spaces); once this even brought on the F1 light momentarily.

Had the clutch adjusted and gearbox mount replaced when the car went in for service and haven't encountered either issue since then.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I loved my F1 box in the F430. My favorite gearbox. Much better than the 458 DCT.

Never had one problem with it in three years of ownership.

11. russomanno

russomanno Karting

Dec 16, 2011
    1-When i first start it, it doesn't wanna go in the gear I need to be in, for e.g., if i need to go in reverse it won't, i need to put it in 1st, then go into reverse or vice versa.
    2-sometimes when shifting at very high rpm from 1st to 2nd it will bobble like 3 or 4 times then jump straight to 3rd, very embarrassing.

12. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My F1 gearbox on my 360 felt good and raw. So much like a race car feel...I loved that. Now on my F430 F1 is even better. A quicker shift, but still has that kick in the back that makes this car "so" much fun to drive.
    Now I have had the luxury of driving a 458 and it shifts so fast. That car is stunning as well. Ferrari is just dong a great job of getting better if indeed it can actually get any better!!!???

13. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    I can add to this lot. Car won't select 1st gear sometimes from neutral (I would say half the time). Eventually, it will select second and you can get moving. Obviously not before a round of applause from onlookers. If running in Auto mode, when it downshifts as you come to a stop, if it can't select first, it just sits in second gear, which I can at least pull away with.

Back at the dealer (who first noticed it at the last service and adjusted the actuator), it's been behaving. Thought it might be the actuator playing up, but the clutch is 85% worn, so might be an influence. New clutch going on and fingers crossed that does fix it............

14. roly05

roly05 Rookie

Jan 28, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    I've just had a non starting problem with my Scuderia, solved by the above rocking solution.

I'm still surprised it worked, but I suppose it is italian. Pressing the brake with the ignition on and pulling both paddles while rocking the car forwards and back and it popped straight out of reverse and started as normal.

Clearly the car won't start when it's in reverse.

Cheers

15. atl_boy

atl_boy Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2014
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Alarm went off in the middle of taking a friend out to drive ... :)

16. fahlmanb

fahlmanb Karting

May 14, 2014
    Mount Pleasant, MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Fahlman
    Hello,

Last summer, my 360 would fall out of gear and flash the dreaded F1 warning light, but only when the outside temperature was > 70 degF or so. Last Fall, the dealer replaced my F1 pump, and it worked fine last Fall & this Spring; however, I didn't get a chance to test it with warmer weather until a few days ago. The temperature was 77 degF - a great day to take a drive, right? Wrong. The same problem happened after about 40 min. of driving. After accelerating to about 5000 rpm in 6th gear, the F1 warning light/buzzer came on. After stopping a few min. later, there was a high-pitched sound from the pump, which was trying to prime once every 5 seconds or so. After waiting about 30 min., I was able to drive the car home without any issues, as the outside temperature had dropped by then. The car is back at the dealer - hopefully, it's a defective pump, since that would be covered by warranty!! From other posts on FC, maybe it's a T/O bearing that sticks at high temperatures??

I'll keep you posted re what they find...

Brad.

17. fahlmanb

fahlmanb Karting

May 14, 2014
    Mount Pleasant, MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Fahlman
    As a finale post re my F1 issues, I am delighted to say that my 360 is now working fine. The dealer could never reproduce my issues, although they never tested it during a hot day. However, they did find a stored error in the computer related to the pressure sensor (listed as an 'overpressure' error). They replaced the sensor and relay, and didn't find any further error codes after extensive road testing. I just returned to the U.S. this week, and finally got a chance to test drive the car in hot weather. The outside temp was about 85-90 degF today, and it shifted perfectly without any F1 light or slipping into N (after about 2 hrs of driving) - SUCCESS at last :)

18. payneless

payneless Karting

Oct 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    Steve
    2005 F430 with 16000 miles went for drive had trouble engaging first gear from neutral when leaving home no problem shifting when gone or driving .After returning home left car in driveway to cool off before putting in garage when putting car up had hard time putting into gear from neutral after parking disengaged reverse to neutral and now will start but won't go into gear again I've tried twice ! I tried pulling both paddles and pushing on brake pedal but no luck getting into first.

19. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Replacement clutch and F1 pump in 3years - apart from that plain sailing LOL

20. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

one of my strange thing: when self-learn, it will go from 1st-3rd, then to 2nd, then back to normal

21. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    F1 goes stupid mode when the brake fuse went out. Won't go in gear and got me stuck in the middle of the road. Not cool.

22. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    3 years almost and no issues. I put a new TCU from the 2004 model into my 1999 because i wanted to and i replaced the clutch which i knew I would need to when i bought it. It's given me about 7k spirited miles of no issues so far.... just had major service last week and got a clean bill of health with only 2% clutch wear after 2.5k miles on the new clutch and PIS set to 4.3

23. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    When I had my model year 2000 360 with F1 gearbox, I stalled it twice! I have no idea what I did, but both times I was slowing and downshifting and the car stalled and I couldn't restart the car until I came to a complete stop, did the two-paddle pull and then it would start.

Very embarrassing as one of the times I was pulling into Alice's Restaurant on SkyLine BLVD in front of a HUGE crowd of sports cars and sport bikes.

24. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No problems ever with mine. Fun as hell and shifts faster and more consistent than any human with a clutch pedal can. Not slamming the clutch pedal cars at all, I have those too, plenty of fun to be had for all.

25. suecom

suecom Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Allister
    I had the dreaded F1 flashing/beeping issue intermittently for some time (although everything worked great). Changed the pump motor, relay, etc. as a precaution, but it eventually turned out to be the (up) paddle microswitch (SD2 reader identified it correctly).

Having to have an SD2/3 is a real pain, as is the complexity of the (any) closed-loop system. Other things I looked at/was advised about, are the break pedal switch (it's two switches in fact - one can fail/need adjusting), and the common reverse handle/switch (centre console).

As an aside, for a single plate clutch system, I'm not sure what people are complaining about with respect to performance; when it (the F1 system) works correctly, it's great (far faster than a manual).