Official "All the strange things that my F1 equipped Ferrari has done to me" thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Official "All the strange things that my F1 equipped Ferrari has done to me" thread

Discussion in '360/430' started by RayJohns, Feb 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fcarbillpaducah

Aug 25, 2007
    Paducah, Ky.
    Full Name:
    William L Harris, Jr
    WHATS THE DEAL...MY '05 360 OCCASIONALLY WHEN SHIFTING UP GO INTO NEUTRAL...AND THERE I AM COASTING DOWN THE HWY TILL I HIT THE LEVER AGAIN AND THEN IT GOES INTO 6TH GEAR...THEN I DOWN SHIFT TO AN APPROPRIATE GEAR...IT SEEMS LIKE IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I HAVE BEEN DRIVING IN STOP AND GO TRAFFIC. GETTING TIRED OF IT NOT GOING INTO GEAR....

2. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Dropping into neutral while upshifting is a pretty universally a sign that the clutch has worn out. Sounds like it's time for a new clutch.

3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    When I first bought my car 5 years ago, I would get a transmission light every now and then for no reason. The car seemed to shift fine, and the light would go away on it's own after a few minutes (I think I had to make a complete stop). After looking at the shop manual and figuring out how the system works, I decided that it may be a flakey brake light switch. After 2 separate mechanics told me that it can't be that, I had it hooked up to a SD2 which revealed no problem! Out of frustration, I decided to try the brake switch anyway, since it was only ~$40. Sure enough, I have not had the issue in the past 4 years!!!

4. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    My 360 F1 scared the crap out of me when it wouldn't downshift from 6th heading into a corner going reasonable fast. Was a bad sensor that took $$$ and time to find. The other strange thing it did to me was it sent me out to buy a manual 430. All good now.

5. Spyder631

Spyder631 Karting

After backing out of my garage and then heading out the driveway (frontways), I got the dreaded red flashing F1. Turned car off and on, no further dash lights, drove to dinner with no issues. After dinner, car cold again, backing out it sounded like a metal on metal crunch (I thought i hit something in the dark at first). I put her in first to leave and about 150ft later I got the red F1 flash. Dealer diagnosed bad solenoid and pressure sensor. All it took was $4k and a week in service to rectify things. If you let them, these cars can drive you nuts.

6. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I hadn't owned my car one month (used with 12k miles on her). Car would slip out of gear and go into Neutral. Had to start her in 2nd gear because 1st wasn't an option. Amazingly was able to do a few good pulls in the car with friends only to find car ppping out of gear back to Neutral more frequently.

Took car to reputable repair shop and when they took a look at the clutch and showed me 98% wear and asked me, "How the Hell did you get the car here?!!" At that moment I knew I was f_cked. I felt my wallet getting lighter. New clutch and new flywheel (no one mills fly wheels anymore) and $6.5k later I was good to go.

7. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    +1

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Just so I understand, the strange thing it did was have a worn out clutch?

9. Rnye

Rnye Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    My first 360 was an F1. Even with the CS TCU, it was problematic. Spent months chasing down a transmission light that could never be replicated. I'd be cruising down the highway and it wouldn't go shift up or down, just neutral. Or I'd be pulling out of my parking garage, go to shift and same thing...

After months and months and a few grand here and there - it was a faulty clutch position sensor. It hadn't gone completely bad, and was working most of the time, making it impossible to diagnose and leaving me on a tow truck twice.

Sold the car, bought a manual and haven't looked back. Now I love my car and it's been so much nicer to live with.