Official book collectors thread | Page 134 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Completely useless. Do not buy.

Marcel Massini

Doug23 and Lusso123 like this.
  2. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    In fact, it is more slipcase than book. It belongs in the bin!

Lusso123 and 375+ like this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    A huge disappointment.

4. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    The 312P book from McKlein is the winner in that group.

Doug23 likes this.
  5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you all. Didn't expect that. Really appreciated. I was tempted for a sec...to buy it.

bloomberg likes this.
  6. 250GTE

250GTE Karting

Mar 21, 2004
    I didn't expect that either...I have a copy that is still shrink-wrapped (it was a gift)....I guess it will remain shrink-wrapped!

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #3332 Rosey, Mar 14, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    I bought it off a good friend to add to my collection.

I must admit it's not that heavy on technical content but I've always loved the 330/ P4 and the studio photos and quality of the book are excellent.

Plus there are not too many 330/P4 specific books out there. If memory serves wasn't the Speed Racer Mach 5 anime cartoon car loosely based on the P4 ?

I was lucky enough to purchase it at a good price and as long as there is an aspect to a book I enjoy, more often then not I'll buy it.

gt4me and jm2 like this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I can confirm the 8360 are individually numbered. FerrariChat got 100 copies as our parent company Motorsport Images provided many of the pictures.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud and Rosey like this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    In spite of what everyone else had to say, I loved that book for the photos & presentation.
    To each his own.

gt4me, Rosey and Jack-the-lad like this.
  10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    +1

11. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Would you consider doing a 330P4 book?

NürScud likes this.
  12. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    As it only starts in 1950 it’s missing two important years - 1948, 1949.
    Nathan

of2worlds and Rosey like this.
  13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
  14. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    jm2 likes this.
  15. PAT30

PAT30 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    jm2 likes this.
  17. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    The reasonable price being the trick!

Rosey likes this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Ferrari author Dick Merritt obit from the GM Design newsletter.

Retirees and Friends,

I am sorry to inform you of the passing of fellow retiree Richard (Dick) Merritt.

I received the following note from Bob Ackerman:

Hello Dennis,
    I just found out about the passing of Dick Merritt last week in Virginia at the age of ninety. He worked in Bob McClain's studio during the 60's. In 1968 he and Warren Fitzgerald wrote the first book about Ferrari in the USA. He was also known for owning and selling forty eight Ferrari's during his lifetime.
    Regards,
    Bob Ackerman

Dennis

Richard F. Merritt

Richard F. Merritt (Dick), passed away in his sleep from complications of cancer early Friday morning, March 12, 2021.

Mr. Merritt, born March 1, 1931, in Webster, Iowa, had just turned 90 years old.

At a young age Richard and his family moved from Iowa to Boulder, Colorado. In the early 1950’s while in high school, one of his first cars was a 1932 Ford Roadster hot rod. This car started him down the path of being a car enthusiast for many years to come.

Richard would attend the University of Colorado for an accounting degree in 1956 and an MBA in 1959.

While in Colorado Mr. Merritt met and married his first wife, Donna Akins. Along the way Mr. Merritt served in the US Air Force in Alaska during the Korean Conflict. In 1958, they gave birth to a son, Kendall Merritt. Richard and Donna remained married until 1975.

Upon graduation in 1959, the family moved to Detroit, Michigan, where Mr. Merritt worked for both Ford and General Motors in their design centers. Mr. Merritt then sold new Porsche and Volkswagen automobiles as a full time job. As a hobby, he bought and sold used Ferrari automobiles and parts. Most notably, Mr. Merritt was principal founder of the Ferrari Club of America in 1962 and co-authored with Warren Fitzgerald the first important book on Ferrari automobiles; “Ferrari Sports and Gran Turismo Cars” in 1968. Mr. Merritt authored two additional Ferrari books and co-authored a Porsche book with Susan Miller. In 1973, Mr. Merritt and his family moved to West Palm Beach, Florida. While in Florida he sold new Porsche automobiles at a local dealership.

After he divorced his first wife in 1975, Mr. Merritt moved to Washington, D.C. He represented a farmers’ association of Iowa and Nebraska lobbying for ethanol production to be used in gasohol fuels. During this time he was commonly known as “Mr. Gasohol”.

Mr. Merritt started his thirty five year career at the United States Department of Transportation as a Safety Analyst in 1983. He was most notably known for working with the National Highway Safety Administration’s Vehicle Compliance as their desk expert for cars and motorcycles imported into the United States. Mr. Merritt was known as “Mr. Gray Market.”

Mr. Merritt retired in November 2018, at the age of 87.

In 1993, Mr. Merritt married Swiss born Elisabeth Schuler, his constant companion. He enjoyed her multi-language ability, and she was his translator to car friends worldwide.

Mr. Merritt is survived by his wife Elisabeth Silvana Merritt and his son Kendall, daughter-in-law, Ruth (Soucier), and granddaughter, Riley.

A graveside service will be held on April 30, 2021, at Ketoctin Baptist Church and Cemetery, 16595 Ketoctin Church Road, Purcellville, VA.

Cards are being received c/o Merritt Family, Hall Funeral Home, P.O. Box 896 Purcellville, VA 20134.

An online obituary and guest book are available HERE . In lieu of flowers, donations in Richard’s name can be made to the American Cancer Society or Antique Automobile Club of America, Hershey, PA.

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Thank you for posting this John.

Rosey and jm2 like this.
  20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Thanks for letting us all know his story.

A great Ferraristi.

"As a hobby, he bought and sold used Ferrari automobiles and parts." Now that's a hobby that's now out of reach for many today unfortunately.

jm2 likes this.
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    48 Ferraris! :eek:

22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    48 great Ferraris--among them s/n 0728TR the 1958 le Mans winner and many more.

Rosey and jm2 like this.
  23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  24. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Awful cover!

Rosey, jpsf1uk and Nembo1777 like this.
  25. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I agree.

Looks like the promotional photo for a cheesy new buddy cop crime action comedy.