Official book collectors thread | Page 144 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Same code, same procedure.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #3577 Rosey, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Oh thanks buddy.
    I'll try it now.

On the other hand they look like a very heavy pair of books.
    It might be the last straw that brings my bookshelf tumbling down. :(

3. joejackson

joejackson Karting

Aug 18, 2006
    Muenster/Germany
    Full Name:
    Gert S
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    This is the first I’ve heard about it.

of2worlds, Rosey and jm2 like this.
  5. Zeltweg

Zeltweg Karting

Apr 8, 2021
    Just saw this at Hortons and came here to see if anyone here knew more about it. Given the author’s reputation, I’d wager it’s worth grabbing a copy.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

gpiro and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. joejackson

joejackson Karting

Aug 18, 2006
    Muenster/Germany
    Full Name:
    Gert S
    I found it at Chater's. Strange that both don't mention the publisher or the number of pages.

7. Zeltweg

Zeltweg Karting

Apr 8, 2021
    Thanks, Chaters listing had more information.

“Written by Ferrari authority Keith Bluemel, it covers the development of the ‘TR’ from inception through to the 1959/1969 seasons, with the Le Mans victory in 1961. It slowly focuses on 0774, the car actual car that won Le Mans in 1961.

It has been designed by Julian Balme and it is a high quality production with a slip case. The print run is limited to 1,000 copies.”

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Spoke to Andy Masson (former Horton's Books guy),

He said he spoke to Keith a few months ago saying he was working on a new Testa Rossa book.

He said he had only just started working on it.

I guess lock down gave him the chance to get it done at lot earlier.

Lusso123, of2worlds and Zeltweg like this.
  9. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    I have seen extracts from the book and the finished book by video - it is very good indeed. Palawan-level design and lovely photos beautifully reproduced as you'd expect from the designer. The cover is stunning.

Lusso123, of2worlds, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Agree the cover looks amazing.
    Compare that to the GTO book from Porter Press.
    (and yes I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but there you go).

Lusso123, of2worlds and bloomberg like this.
  11. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge
    If that is the case Steve and it is Palawan standard seems a heck of a good price.
    Any idea how many pages as Chaters or Horton's do not state this?

Zeltweg likes this.
  12. markst270

markst270 Karting

Aug 5, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Cory
    The Mclaren F1 GTR Book is amazing, I purchased the standard edition :)

NürScud and Zeltweg like this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    An older article I rediscovered on line recently.

Worth a quick read for some of the newer collectors that have joined this forum.

I have no affiliation with Automobilia Resource Magazine or Horton's Books (although I have bought a number of books from them over the years).

Investing in Motoring Books
    11/1/2018

Nov/Dec 2018 edition
    Issue #2 AutoMobilia Resource Magazine
    Ben Horton

The majority of our customers buy books for their content or pleasure. However, there are an increasing number who are also buying one or more copies as investments. Motoring books have always been a sound way of spending your money; not only do you have the enjoyment of reading the book, but once on your shelf many will steadily rise in value.

Most motoring titles have low volume print runs, typically between 1000 and 3000 copies. When publishers decide to print fewer books on certain subjects they can sell out very quickly. The numbers fall further with the passage of time; some copies will be damaged, lost or discarded.

Just as in any market place, there are definite trends with motoring books. Titles rise and fall in popularity according to the change in trends in the wider motoring arena. The motoring literature market, without doubt, closely follows the classic car market, or indeed pre-empts changes in this sector. For me this is fascinating, as I often can see a changing trend in the car market with the emergence of a new ‘hot’ model, or the decline of a current one as we start to see an increase or decrease in related literature sales. Consequently, if investing in motoring literature, there is definitely a time to buy and sell. As with many very limited editions of any product, there are some that are so limited, they will always be rare, always be desirable, and always hold their value, and often steadily rise.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

If considering books as an investment, then new books are the best way of achieving a profit as the right books tend to increase in value the moment they are out of print, and rarely fall below their original published price. More often than not, recently out of print titles will double in value. Additionally by buying new, you can ensure the book is in optimum condition, and if looked after, maximize its future value. Condition is vital, it is always best to select mint copies of new books.

For out of print titles, look for the best possible condition available. After purchasing new or OP, you should not be afraid to enjoy them, even if you have purchased them for investment purposes. Look at them carefully and ensure they are stored in a relatively cool, dry environment, out of sunlight and direct fluorescent lights.

There are thousands of motoring titles. You do not have to be a connoisseur to recognize the good and the not so good. However, there are exceptions to every rule, it is not uncommon to find a title of mediocre quality being a good investment. In these cases it is usually a book that covers an area of motoring that hasn’t been covered before. There are a plethora of reasons why a book might have low production qualities or imperfect content, but despite this, it turns into a good investment, simply because nothing else exists on the subject.

My advice would be to pick marque history books first. The cars will always have an owner, or be changing owners, and people will always want to research the cars they buy whether now, or in the future. Then I would recommend the more specific the better. For example, a focused book on a Ferrari 250 SWB is going to more desirable long term than a general book on all Ferrari models.

If the model specific book contains chassis data or race results (where applicable) this will only enhance its desirability. This is essential information that owners, prospective owners and enthusiasts want and need. Finally, if the book is a limited edition, numbered, signed or distinctive in a particular way, it will almost always carry a premium over its ‘standard’ publication equivalent.

Correctly and professionally binding books in leather is a very expensive process. Due to the high costs, publishers are obviously forced to significantly increase the price of the leather-bound edition vs. the standard edition. It is essential to keep this in mind, purely from an investment point of view, especially as the two editions often have the same content. It is quite common, almost the norm in fact, for the standard edition to outperform its leather-bound sister on the aftermarket in terms of percentage return. Always ask advice, most professional vendors will give you their honest opinion. It is also advisable to check with them about the print numbers and whether the book is likely to be reprinted or not.

If you decide to invest in motoring books, choose wisely and you can be assured that the returns are there. There are numerous examples. Highlighting just one....a very limited edition Bentley book, published 10 years ago, which originally retailed for $600.....today sells in the region of $7,500!

Ben Horton

elmadi, jm2 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  15. Zeltweg

Zeltweg Karting

Apr 8, 2021
    An oldie but a goodie.

Amazing that the Miura book managed to do in less than a year what the Bentley book did in 10 years.

Rosey likes this.
  16. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    I have not physically seen or held it but it is done by one of the best designers in the business who does Palawan books. And the Kidston Miura books. So it will be as good or better than Porter production-wise (better design) and light years from Veloce. It is approx 204 running pages and includes bios of the drivers and in-depth analysis of the races, the circuits, the seasons and the competition.

Rosey, 375+, Zeltweg and 1 other person like this.
  17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Unfortunately the Miura Book is the exception, not the rule.
    If it wasn't most of us would be "book millionaires" many times over.

Lusso123, stevewak and Zeltweg like this.
  18. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge
    Thanks for that Steve ,taken a punt after your recommendation. Will update once I have received it.

stevewak likes this.
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I will buy a copy based on the cover graphics alone.

of2worlds, stevewak, Rosey and 2 others like this.
  20. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Agree, one of the nicest covers I've seen!

stevewak likes this.
  21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Ferrari by Schedoni, standard English edition, will be available at the end of July. Big size (24 x 28 cm), 324 pages.

https://www.artestampaedizioni.it/prodotto/ferrari-by-schedoni-a-long-ride-on-the-prancing-horse/?fbclid=IwAR1fxPRwj0mi-1DPRtWYuXDTn2jP8zm_2Xc4n4KiWvmztyyeLLsSFdNtS1Y

There will be also a limited English edition, 141 copies only (same figure as the Schedoni company age, started in 1880) with Schedoni 'official' leather cover, high end paper, numbered and signed by Simone Schedoni himself.

ciao

22. BtvFerrari

BtvFerrari Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2020
    The Netherlands
    Awesome! Do you have any information about the price of the limited English edition?

Thanks

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thank you.

Not yet, sorry: I heard it will be in the 500 euro range, but we are awaiting for the Ferrari factory green light (they could ask a Royalty, so it will affect the price) because Schedoni still is a Ferrari supplier and so he has to ask them before doing anything. They already said "yes" by words, but they still not answered if that "yes" is for free of with a royalty. The answer is expected to arrive very soon.

Ciao

of2worlds, Rosey, Zeltweg and 3 others like this.
  24. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Why would they owe a royalty, is this a licensed product? I doubt.

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    This is not an official Ferrari book, of course. But Schedoni needs a Ferrari green light to do anything that is Ferrari related and this is a book that talks about Ferrari: the leather cover will have the official Schedoni brand embossed (Cuoio Schedoni Modena), and so this book will be a bit also a Schedoni official book. Commercial agreement between Schedoni and Ferrari says that he must ask them before doing anything. They already told "yes, you can", but they are still evaluating if this permission is for free or not.

Ciao

of2worlds and bloomberg like this.