"OFFICIAL" Coupe/Spyder/GranSport Thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 4200GT, Aug 10, 2017.

1. chasw

chasw Rookie

Oct 10, 2017
    Please can i seek some advice from Coupe and GranSport owners please.

I have been slowly researching and building a case (to myself) that I would like a Coupe or GranSport. The car will be used for no more than 5000 miles per annum and with the intention to keep for a while and of course to be well looked after. I have swayed between which is a more sensible and a potential safer acquisition from a maintenance perspective. Any suggestions or pointers to help me decide would be most welcome. The car will be used at weekends and not tracked. I currently have a leased Alfa 4C and although great I don't intend to purchase it but the Italian car bug has caught me. It is perhaps the 4c that initially pushed me towards the GranSport. I am aware that whatever the purchase there will be some technical replacements/ rolling maintenance required for both options (for example clutch). I am in no rush as I will only change in early 2018. FYI...I live in Maryland USA.

2. F456M

F456M Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 8, 2010
    Biy a great Gransport. Fantastic car!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. 4200GT

4200GT Rookie

Aug 10, 2017
    Mary Esther, FL
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    Where are you located in FL? I'm in Destin

4. 4200GT

4200GT Rookie

Aug 10, 2017
    Mary Esther, FL
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    MalcQV likes this.
  5. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    F456M likes this.
  6. F456M

F456M Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 8, 2010
    The Maserati is in quite a different league I'd say!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I love the sound of my 1980's Alfa GTV6 Busso 2.5 V6 motor as good as my Maserati 4.2 V8. Both sound wonderful with a proper exhaust !!

graemewy and F456M like this.
  9. MalcQV

MalcQV Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc
    I think I am possibly in agreement.. maybe. The 5 valve Ferrari engine is the F355 and 360 is pretty good. Busso though, I need a Busso and owning a GT before (and like yours in black) I'm tempted for a V6 Busso GT.

I did see this yesterday on the road. I was later by his side and we chatted through open windows. Giulia Veloce is a lovely sounding 4-pot and bloomin quick.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I think I like these again now :D

Yeah, but go on Youtube and find a few Busso sound clips.

F1tommy likes this.
  10. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Congratulations Bert. The GS is really a great car and great value at the moment. I'd love to add one to the garage, but my Busso is not going anywhere ;)

bert308 likes this.
  11. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I bought the 3.2 GT 2.5 years ago, it was in a perfect state under a cover in a locked parking cellar. When the cover was removed and owner started the car it was sold. Such a great sound. Later I modified the GT with Speedline Alessio 3 piece wheels, Bilstein hight adjustable "Fahrwerk, Nurburgring tested" and Novitec exhaust, but before trading in the GT I removed all the "upgrades" and it turned out the GT in it's original form was at it's best. The original exhaust is not as loud but the sound quality is better than all aftermarket and it turns heads. Same for the Maser, I had been watching endless Youtube Vids of coupés and Gransports with upgraded exhausts, but the original Italian tune is the best especially on the Gransport, with normal and sport mode it is perfect for every occasion.

MalcQV likes this.
  12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    4200 M138 production numbers:

Coupè Cambiocorsa: 5371
    Coupè Manual GT: 1078
    Spyder Cambiocorsa: 3134
    Spyder Manual GT: 574
    Spyder 90th Ann.: 181
    GranSport Coupè: 2432
    GranSport Spyder: 472
    GranSport MC Victory: 181

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
  14. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicago USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I am hearing a lot of stories about 4200's with well over 100,000 miles. Even a few with almost 200,000 miles. Although it is true the 6 speed GT manuals have a lot less issue with the gearboxes, CC's and GranSports seem to keep going a good long time also. The motors are great, and if properly maintained seem to last forever. These cars are the current market bargain right now. I plan on picking up a second low mile Spyder GT soon. I already put the full Larini X pipe and rear exhaust on my first Spyder GT along with FD springs wich lowered and made a much better spring rate(a must do item), but kept everything else stock.

16. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    johnei likes this.