Official Daytona Pics | Page 116 | FerrariChat

Official Daytona Pics

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Iceman.1, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Thanks for the detailed look Timo, I do appreciate it.

2. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Timo would this have been applied to most/some cars and more common on the angle top rad or the flat top rad

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Howard, my research and supportive findings on this so far only applies to mid- to lateproduction cars with “3rd generation” (flat top) radiator, but if anyone has any dispelling or supportive evidence* on early production cars with “1st/2nd generation” radiators, I’m all ears/eyes.

* Photos of this lower front valance area, either on cars still featuring their unrestored/untouched original coach work or any restoration projects in which this (& other) areas of the body are/were adequately photo-documented before and during major body repaint/repairs/restoration.

I’m not holding my breath though, since finding an unrestored early production Daytona is probably akin to a unicorn and I’m not convinced most (Daytona) restoration projects are that well (in-depth) photo-documented before or during the process, as most people only seem to care about and focus on the shiny objects they eventually become.

The past/history just gets erased and swept away with removed old materials, refinishes and damaged/rusty body sections…

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  5. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted

TTR likes this.
  6. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Had a chance to see this detail on two more Daytonas past weekend (managed to photo-document one and will do same with other next time).
    While initial, quick peek under the front valance suggested neither having the “blister”, a little closer and more careful inspection revealed evidence of (half-hearted) attempts/efforts of their removal during previous repaints at one time or another in the past.
    So, +/-50 years after the original construction, further evidence of the (original) existence of this can still be found, even on cars with multiple owners/repaints/restorations…

Also managed to observe and photo-documented several other obscure OEM details IMO often (unintentionally/-knowingly ?) erased or misinterpreted on so many of these cars…

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #2885 TTR, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    Had a chance to see (& photo-document) yet another Daytona having its (original ?) lower front valance “bump/blister” still present after at least one repaint in 50+ years.
    Owner has had the car 15+ years, but never noticed or realized it having this lovely little authentic(?) hand crafted detail.
    Image Copyrights TTR
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

V12addict and colombo2cam like this.
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Closer study also confirmed/revealed that combined with several other obscure coachwork detail evidence usually found in the same general, front end sheetmetal area, the pictured example has likely never suffered any considerable collision damage or questionable corrosion repairs.

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Is/was this example perhaps presented being in her all or mostly original, unrestored, wearing all her original details, materials and refinishes condition or … ?

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari likes this.
  11. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    It is, 12653. But most importantly it is the only road version Daytona with an alloy body! Sold by RM back in 2017.

12. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I understand original cars and not ruining them ----- but what is point of leaving dirt etc., on? shouldn't a car be cleaned as best as possible preserving what is there?

NunoRosso, Edward 96GTS and miurasv like this.
  13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #2891 TTR, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    OK, thanks.
    So obviously not a true “survivor”, as far as authenticity/originality is a concern.

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #2892 TTR, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    So we’re on the same page, if you will.
    I don’t appreciate nor understand signs of obvious neglect, like presented with the referenced example.
    My main interest with the question is/was that if this is a “true survivor” with all or most of it original/unrestored details, it would be good candidate for serious documentation of them, but apparently this one has been (extensively ?) messed with in the past, so chances of many OEM details having become lost is pretty good. :(

Just goes to show the “barn/garage/backyard/field/forest/junkyard find” is perhaps still a fad. o_O

15. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    This Daytona was discovered in Japan sitting untouched in a garage for years. Maybe the new owner wants to preserve the Japanese dust and dirt as a testament to PATINA.:rolleyes:

16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    There is a difference between preservation and neglect.

colombo2cam and miurasv like this.
  17. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    of2worlds likes this.
  18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Trust me, I probably know what it is far better than most you've ever met.

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... among all those pretending to be "(vintage) car guys/gals".

20. Anton van L

Anton van L Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2021
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Anton van Luijk
    Do you perhaps have the unblurred version of this picture?

21. Schultz

Schultz Karting

Mar 9, 2014
    Midwest
    colombo2cam and Wheels1 like this.