Official Ferrari California Picture Thread | Page 35 | FerrariChat

Official Ferrari California Picture Thread

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by furious_ferrari, Aug 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Thank you! Were you at the national meet a few years back at Indy? If so, I remember your car.

2. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Nelsonc275 likes this.
  3. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    No My Friend, I am UK based.
    I found these pictures of the Azzuro California 456M GT as it was delivered to me, you can see how the colour makes a dull English fall day seem brighter. Also included is the current family car, so as you can see you have my approval on all counts !

Attached Files:

Nelsonc275 and tomc like this.
  4. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    She is gorgeous!

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #857 4th_gear, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    It's been a while since I posted my last photo of my Cali30 and she's gone through several upgrades in the interim. Here are some photos of her taken a couple of weeks ago. There are a number of external upgrades that my dealer installed. BTW, I just have my iPhone camera so the photos are not very high quality but I carefully placed the iPhone so the photos do reflect how the car comes across when viewed in person.

A customized LED steering wheel was also installed.

My dealer's upholsterer actually approached the upgrade even more "enthusiastically" than I had requested. In addition to the original CF LED strip, he also leatherized the CF panel on the new steering wheel. They did a great leather job so I thought I would live with it for a while before deciding whether to keep it. My original intention was actually to keep the aluminium panel to maintain a better balance of leather-vs-aluminium interior accents. What do you think, leather or aluminium?

What is not visible is a set of Novitec Sport Springs provided by my dealer.

These have spring rates almost identical to a 991.1 GT3 and are considerably stiffer than the HS Pack springs they replaced. However, the suspension remains very everyday comfortable, not harsh at all to me. The difference is that the suspension resists any leaning and eliminates any unexpected change in the suspension attitude of the car when you make a fast steering change at speed. The suspension "quietly" and quickly steers where you point it and places the car exactly where you want it to end up without any extra movements, just point-and-shoot.

In the process of re-tuning the suspension after the upgrade, the front suspension was further lowered from the already lowered HS Pack suspension setting. This was necessitated to avoid low speed understeer and not done for looks, although the car does look better lowered. Medium and high speed responses were already fine even without the lowering. However, lowering further transforms higher speed handling from the HS Pack springs. It's even more fun to carve through the twisties. It's now even more track-oriented although I have to be more careful with front clearance but so far, so good. Luckily, this is not the lowest car I have owned.

BTW, there's an external upgrade that's not so easy to spot, so here's a closeup...

Wheelb and NEP like this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Very nice mods. Your side skirt seems less recessed ?
    T

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #859 4th_gear, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    LOL! Yeah, I knew it would be difficult to spot. Here's a better shot of it I made before I upgraded the suspension.

They are essentially a take on the ones used on the track-only 599XX (see below).

I discovered my car could use extra downforce on certain sections on the local track. The CF skirts were one of the 3 upgrades that address this. Coincidentally, similar carbon fibre side skirts now seem to be de rigueur on almost all high performance cars. Every wannabe "track-oriented" car are now taking after cars like the 599XX. Some cars like the 488 have even more aggressive ones, like those on the 599XX EVO.

NEP and tomc like this.
  8. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    After showing our '94 348 Spider at the NW FCA Concours last weekend my wife got the itch for a new toy. We had been contemplating this for a while, but last weekend was enough to push her over the edge.

This is her new 2010 California, Nero Daytona with two tone Cuoio/ Terra Bruciata interior w/ Daytona Seats. Absolutely in love with this beautiful color combo, and it's a great garage companion for our classic!

NEP and 4th_gear like this.
  9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great-looking Cali and 348! I would be curious to know how you compare them to each other. I also like that you line up and back both cars into your garage. ;)

10. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR

Thanks! They're completely different beasts. The Cali is obviously way more powerful and faster, but it's also much quieter, and feels more like a luxury car compared to the very analog, non-assisted, loud, high-strung 'i might try to kill you today' feel of the 348.

Those seats in the Cali are sooooo damn comfortable too.

The Cali will be wonderful for long tours. Not that the 348 isn't capable of long drives we have taken those in it, they are definitely a bit draining though.

I actually have to back the 348 in because those shelves are too close to the side and you can't really open the door enough. The Cali gets backed in for symmetry!

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeah, the 348 and 355 are arguably the best-sounding Fcars with sports car credentials. A few years ago, someone in my area listed a late-model 348 TS coupe with the fancy 5-spoke wheels. I was really tempted to go for it. At the end, I was worried by potentially expensive maintenance and opted to mod my car instead.

BTW, I also back in my Cali30... but it's out of necessity. My garage needs work. :rolleyes:

I hope you and your better-half will rack up some nice memories in your Cali. ;)

12. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Honestly the Cali makes me a little more nervous for maintenance than the 348. It's a much more complicated car, and those CCB Rotors are PRICEY!!! We do have the New Power plan though..so if the top or Trans goes wrong we'll be covered there.

The 348 is very easy to work on, and I do it all myself. While prepping for the concours I had most of the car apart to various degrees going through things and it was a very simple car. I haven't had to tackle a major on it yet, but I'm confident that won't be an issue for me to do myself.

13. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    SkiFreak, fossilfuel, AD211 and 2 others like this.
  14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If you do your own maintenance you will always find it more expensive and challenging to work on newer cars as they all rely much more on software and electronic components, expensive proprietary test equipment. However, those are also the things that make them perform at levels above older cars. ;) FWIW, I was referring to the engine out aspect of 348-355 maintenance for belts and pumps.

As for CCB rotors, unless you track a lot, they are designed to last the life of the car and only weigh half as much as iron or steel rotors - they're a big part of why the Cali can easily do sub-4 seconds 0-62. At any rate, this is a Cali photo thread so I will avoid discussing maintenance here but Kudos to you for working on your 348!

Enjoy your Cali!

aballas likes this.
  15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OK, now I can see these on my laptop (having issue w/ the Tapatalk app). Your interior is gorgeous (the outside ain't too bad either!). The contrast in colors between the bruciata and cuoio is very handsome. I can see how your wife will be in love with this car and this spec. Congrats!
    T

aballas likes this.
  16. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique

Very nice HRE P204's! We did them on a customer's California recently as well.

More photos at - http://wheelsboutique.com/gallery/ferrari/pics/ferrari-california/Ferrari-California-T-on-HRE-P204

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for the compliment! Your red CaliT provided the confirmation I needed to decide on those wheels although I went with 20"/21" (FR/RR) sizing vs the 21"/22" of the red car. I also had mine repainted and diamond-cut to better match the Bianco Avus colour of my car.

The HRE rims are amazing - I also bought the HRE titanium lug bolts. The dyno tests indicated 10whp gain - that's like 13-14bhp... and in addition the weight loss is felt on the steering and throttle responses. It's the best performance upgrade for the buck on my car!

Wheelb likes this.
  18. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  19. Ltfor3

Ltfor3 Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    FL
    Full Name:
    L.T.
  20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  21. Ltfor3

Ltfor3 Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    FL
    Full Name:
    L.T.
    I had a white 2012 exactly like that one. I traded it on my 458 speciale and then ordered the Red Cali T for my wife- although I like having the drop top option

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    tomc likes this.
  23. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    was never thrilled with the Cali when it came out.. but its growing on me more and more..
    some simple adjustments such as nicer wheels and lowered suspension.. transforms the car. nicely stanced, I think it looks way nicer then a Portofino..

that said, I've never seen the 20" challenge style rims that were available on the 599 and 612 on the Cali.. perhaps due to dimension issues.. unless someone has put them on..?