Official FERRARI CHALLENGE cars and racing thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Official FERRARI CHALLENGE cars and racing thread

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by roma1280, Apr 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Thanks for making this thread. I've done the first two Corsa Pilota classes and am signed up for Evo in October. I'm still toying with doing the Advanced class immediately after Evo this year. If not, I'll do it next year. I'm thinking to do Club Challenge next year and then go racing in Challenge the following year. Racing a $350K 670 hp car seems like the sort of thing you should do in baby steps. LOL But the competitor in me might make me skip right to Challenge. We'll see.

I too attended the recent Challenge races in Laguna Seca. I was surprised how many cars there were. Must have been at least 50. I had assumed there would be maybe a couple dozen. To anybody who is considering Challenge or the Corsa Pilota classes, I recommend going to a race, walk around the paddock and meet with the team manager for your prospective team and ask a lot of questions.

Love the info. Keep it coming.

2. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Baby steps would be the rational way to do it, or do what I did which is do one corso Pilota, buy a challenge car the next week and go testing!
    If you are going to do it the rational way (sensible) try and do something like a Mazda racing series to work on your race craft. For example in the new York area you can join a private track (Monticello which is AWESOME) and you can buy a fully race-prepped Mazda Miata for about $60k and race almost every weekend with 30 other people. I haven’t tried it but supposed to be amazing fun and safe and great for race craft. I know you’re on the left coast but am sure there is something similar there and probably in other parts if the world too.
    Yes the race weekends are great fun to visit. Yes lots of cars but the more the merrier. The four classes are split into two races, so Trofeo Pirelli (top class) and Trofeo Pirelli AM (“amateur”) race together and Coppa Shell and Shell AM race together. At Laguna the Shell races had about 30 in total and Pirelli about half that. The racing is laugh out loud fun and the feeling of elation when you cross the finish line (whatever your position) is great.

3. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    For guys/gals interest in any aspect of Challenge, ask anything here.

4. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    488 Challenge interior.

And no the cooler isn’t for spare beers, it contains the ice water that feeds a vest that you wear under your driving suit with ice water to keep your core body temperature down. It’s very comfortable and works really well aka the “cool suit”

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    I've heard that some people skip the Corsa Pilota Challenge class and are still able to get their IMSA license. Is that correct? If so, I'd rather do that and spend the $25K on private lessons, which seems like a bigger bang for the buck.

6. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Yes, correct.

FWIW, another 'baby step' option is to rent a Challenge car to do a private testing/Club Challenge event prior to buying your own car, but be advised, you'll end up buying one anyway as it is FUN FUN FUN. There's just something about arriving at an awesome track and seeing your race car prepped and all ready to go.

roma1280 likes this.
  7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yes but Ferrari don’t like it. I missed the first one, did the EVO course then still did the Advanced course after I bought the car. I would have done the Challenge course too but had a scheduling conflict. Racing in Challenge is also about supporting the brand, being a brand ambassador and being a client of all services and opportunities offered. If you embrace this and all aspects of Ferrari you will eventually reach the top tier of client and be offered special cars. That’s important to some , less important to others. IMSA like to see all the Corsa Pilota classes completed but don’t technically require any Ferrari courses. If you don’t have the full set of courses you will need several highly respected coaches to vouch for you (I can provide names) and you may be required to attend one of the test days prior to the start of the season. It will also help if develop a relationship with the head coach of the series (Didier Theys who is a great guy). I was asked to attend the test at COTA (which I was excited to do) and was then given the license.

Bottom line I recommend doing all the courses. They are very thoughtful and thorough about how they build skills gradually and without pushing too fast. Some feel there could be more track time but trust me you’ll be pleasantly tired at the end of the days. After the courses then yes by all means test with your coach.

8. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    You guys are going to cost me a lot of money--I may even have to un-retire!!! So far the discussion has been focused on driving, but do you guys do any physical training (strength and/or cardiovascular)? I know that you don't have to be F1-fit, but was wondering how tiring the racing was. Also, what about testing/coaching? Do your teams have scheduled testing/coaching sessions prior to a race weekend or do you schedule those independently? And stokpro, who is yur team?

9. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Money? check
    Training? not so much (does drinking count?)
    Testing? check

Well yes the money aspect is definitely there. We can have talk about that if you’d like. I view this as a bucket list item so I don’t care about cost.

The car honestly isn’t that physically taxing. I mean if you have a basic level of fitness I think you’re fine. I have had days where I have spent 4 hours total driving flat out. Yes you are exhausted at the end of the day but believe me I’m no marathon runner.

Anytime you drive the car ideally you want your coach to be with you (that’s what I have done) makes improving SO much faster, easier and probably safer. Yes the teams normally arrange 2 day tests in the month before the race which are optional but obviously super helpful. I did a few test sessions but just didn’t have the time for the others. Montreal is the exception, no testing there as the track is only open twice a year.

This raises the topic of simulators. You really need one. I’m furiously lapping in my basement right now trying to learn Montreal.

10. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    This raises the topic of simulators. You really need one. I’m furiously lapping in my basement right now trying to learn Montreal.[/QUOTE]

What simulator do you have?

11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    What simulator do you have?[/QUOTE]

I have CXC and I hear simcraft are good too

www.cxcsimulations.com/

www.simcraft.com/

12. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Vital Speed

13. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Good luck this weekend at Montreal. You doing the Indy test days? I believe your team is putting it on?

14. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Thank you. Finished 5th and 4th in class in the 2 races. I was chasing the P3 car in front of me today but just couldn’t catch it! There was an engine failure on Saturday, the car that failed was on the grid in front of me but luckily I overtook her at the start otherwise might have got caught up in the oil spill that caused a multiple car incident. Was glad everyone was ok.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    a challenge car had an engine failure? that's pretty rare.

16. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Well since Lisa posted it I guess it’s ok to repost. I’m not an engineer but I don’t think this is good!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

gt4me and GuyIncognito like this.
  17. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    It did get a bit messy but everyone was totally fine. The cars are sturdy and safe.

I go past at 50 seconds in the blue car with the white stripe then Lisa Clark follows and unfortunately when the engine let go it left a streak of oil which caused the issues.

18. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas

Glad everyone was OK. Brian managed to dodge danger and narrowly squeezed through too. Nice P5 and P4 finishes!

19. Brion Sohn

Brion Sohn Rookie

Jun 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brion Sohn
    I have CXC and I hear simcraft are good too

www.cxcsimulations.com/

www.simcraft.com/[/QUOTE]

Nice I actually do the Carbon Fiber work for CXC as well as som other parts for that Sim.. Nice to see them out there in the wild :).. That being said I have a question fo you for a specific project that I am working on and actually found this thread via Google and noticed you owned a Ferrari 488 Challenge car..

What I am trying to find out and I am hoping that you could help is in the Actual car What exactly do each of the 8 LEDs across the top of the wheel do.. I am guessing that the center 6 are generally just the standard Rev lights but the other 2 that are offset to each side Im not sure..

To let you know and why I replied to this particular post is that I am actually trying to create a decent Replica wheel for Simulators of this wheel box and of course am working on getting a functional LED display module. So anyway any help on this would be appreciated.. Because I am new to this forum I understand if you just ignore me as well I am not sure if this forum has PM's.. however if you do want to email me direct I would be happy to provide my email or you can use the support link through my company website Penguinrc.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide me.