Official Ferrari F12 Berlinetta Picture Thread | Page 208 | FerrariChat

Official Ferrari F12 Berlinetta Picture Thread

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by furious_ferrari, Mar 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
  2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Marcel, side shields or no side shields that is the question. Ferrari GT's have been wearing them since the 50's therefore the brand has a tradition and heritage and IMO they go well with some models and colors but with others they look too flashy. Personally when I look at a F12 grigio like mine with the black calipers from the side view, if there are no shields I only can visualize the two tiny yellow caps on the wheels as focus points. In this case the yellow and black side shield adds another focal point and to my taste makes the car look better. As you mentioned there are many good things on the minimalist approach and from a purist point of view I agree that's the way to go.

3. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I love shields and i like some shieldless specs too.
    For me it is a historical detail which i like a lot in most cases.

deltona, MDEL and dcmetro like this.
  4. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    The irony here is that over on the 812 forum a new owner commented that he had, on four separate occasions, been asked at gas stations if his new car was a corvette. Im not tying to start the whole corvette comparison but speaking to the branding/identification even with the shields. Although the f12 is a more elegant design and says “Ferrari” to me more than the 812 so that may be part of it, IMHO.

5. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    I am probably wrong, but my assumption was that historically, the shields were typically associated or reserved for cars that were actually raced. I thought the appearance of shields on regular road cars was a more recent option (last 20 or 30 years). Shields or no shields is a personal preference, for me, I feel the elegance of granturismos don't require the shields.

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think the midengined cars look best with shields.
    F12 and 812 could go either way depending on aggressiveness of spec.
    FF and Lusso look better without shields.
    All special versions look better with shields.

The F12 is covered with "Ferrari" branding everywhere you look so to suggest someone likes shields, because they alone are over the top ego crutches and needs to see a Doctor for mental health reasons is just plain preposterous.

MDEL likes this.
  7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I’m no expert on the subject of shields but I find it to be an interesting subject because is intimately connected with Ferrari history.
    Through time I’ve looked at a good number of old pictures of Ferrari cars published in the Internet and based in them my assumption is the following:

The first grad-prix racing cars made by Ferrari were the 125 F1 and the 166 F2 from 1948 and they didn't wear the shields. Neither did the Ferraris 275 F1, 340 F1, 375 F1 from 1950. The first old picture where I could see shields is the one of a Ferrari 500 F2 from 1951 driven by the glorious Alberto Ascari and I’ve noticed them as well on a Ferrari 375 Indy from 1952. From 1951 onwards the shields became part of every F1/F2 Ferrari racing car.
    In terms of sports racing cars the oldest picture I’ve seen showing a Ferrari with shields is from a 340 MM from 1953. Later models of Ferraris 857 Sport Scaglietti and 750 Monza Scaglietti both from 1955 also have the shields.

The 250 GT Competizione from 1956 shown below in a 1959 picture was the oldest road GT Ferrari I could find wearing the shields.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP, Makuono and tomc like this.
  8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Pic #4 is NOT a Ferrari.

Marcel Massini

9. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #5184 dcmetro, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Marcel, may I suggest to drop the use of words in capital letters ? It's exactly like yelling the words to someone, it's not necessary and can be seen as arrogant.

My 2 euro cents.

iloveferrari and MDEL like this.
  10. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    The first time a red car has the SF shields was in the Alfa Romeo - Scuderia Ferrari (below pic of a Alfa Romeo 8C-35 Scuderia Ferrari 1935).

Before being a road car manufacturer, Ferrari a race car manufacturer! Therefore, I think its natural that Ferrari products can/should reflect its racing breed.

I completely agree with you said shields are a personal choice - according to the owner's taste. The car is correct with or without them IMO.

We should remember, that for most of us, Ferrari is much more than a motorcar. It is a dream, it is a victory, it is a way of living...

So, if the owner wants to proudly display the breed of his beloved motorcar, so be it. SF shields are loyal to Ferrari's ethos, so why not use them?

In a time where motorcars are looking more and more the same and like aseptic appliances, it is great that Ferrari gives us the possibility to be creative and do multiple combinations.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

RamsHmb, NEP and MDEL like this.
  11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ricardo I agree entirely with what you said and thank you for refreshing our memories with that very interesting historical fact that the first car to wear the scuderia Ferrari shields was in fact an Alfa Romeo.

12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you for calling my attention to the mistake because I got the picture titles mixed up. The car in picture number 4 is in fact the Maserati A6GCM at the 1952 Italian grand prix driven by Jose Froilan Gonzalez. To mistake a Maserati with a Ferrari is a sine and I presume more than enough to be suspended temporarily from Ferrarichat lol. To put things back as they should be I post the the Maserati's picture with the correct text and also the correct picture number 4 of the Ferrari 375 F1 (1950)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, NEP and Makuono like this.
  13. Mc11

Mc11 Karting

Jun 3, 2015
    Germany
  14. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    ^where are the Pininfarina badges?

16. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  17. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    NEP, WilliamB, MDEL and 1 other person like this.
  18. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  19. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Your car is the DCmetro corrected version of F12 Lover's car above (No offense F12 Lover just my personnal tastes ) : Ferro instead Titanio , Grey wheels instead of diamond, and no orange reflectors, wich are similar to mosquitos concerning their utility on earth.
    Beautiful scenery with the stone pines, Portugal is fabulous, I'm sweating in my parisian office and I'll kill mom & dad to be at Praia de Caparica

MDEL likes this.
  20. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Olivier apart from the color there are also other details that can change a lot the F12 looks . The other day I had my F12 at the detailer to do lthe interior and the exterior and the wheels were taken out to be retouched. While this operation was undergoing they put on my F12 the wheels from an FF and to make things worst they parked it next to a beautiful grigio silverstone. What a sight…..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 and NEP like this.
  21. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Great picture.. Yours almost looks like scuro !

22. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS