Official Magnum P.I. thread... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Official Magnum P.I. thread...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RedNeck, Sep 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f308gtsi

f308gtsi Rookie

Dec 23, 2007
    United States
    The reboot is directed by Justin Lin who directed the last Star Trek Beyond movie and also some of the Fast and Furious movies, hence the great car shots and stunning car chases. It usually takes several episodes and sometimes even the first season for actors to settle into a groove. I was expecting a little more ornery TC and recalcitrant Rick (like second gear in a 308 on a cold morning). It's an interesting twist of the tension between Higgins and Magnum, adding another person to the adventure. I think the acrimony with Zeus and Apollo feels a little too contrived.

The original Magnum was somewhat of a vagabond with heart which was juxtaposed against the rich trappings of the estate. This new Magnum is clean cut, almost preppy-like and he seems to fit right into the lifestyle rather than being a stranger to it.

Still, as the story arc unfolds the writers will use this to their advantage just like they did with the original Magnum. I hope it succeeds if nothing else as a showcase for Ferrari glamor shots and exhaust soundtrack.

daytona355 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I lol’d at the part where he says he was broke from getting the Ferrari fixed...as if that 488 was repairable, or that a millionaire doesn’t have insurance.

I’m disappointed in the 2 episodes so far.
    Lots of cute references to the original... beautiful backgrounds and cars.

But bad acting, little charm in the actors, and bad casting is too hard to overlook.
    Magnum can’t carry the role.he lacks the physical presence, comes across as smug and lacking depth.
    A female Higgins with some obvious predictable sexual tension with Magnum is ridiculous.
    The comedy feels forced.
    And the reincarnation of James Gandolfini as one of his pals is just weird.

It’s more or less like the writers of CSI Hawaii got together with the writers from the new Hawaii 5-0, hired some models to act, and raided the prop storage locker from Magnum PI.

EnzoItaly and davemqv like this.
  3. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    A "308" was blown up, "possibly" killing Mac in episode 41.
    • They used a Fiat X1/9 for the explosion
    • Mac sorta came back later as a "Is that Mac?" character in episode 87, and as Mac's ghost/spirit a few seasons later.

Bisonte likes this.
  4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'm giving it a few episodes...I would suggest watching a few later episodes of the original Magnum, then watch the pilot, "Don't eat the snow in Hawaii", you can see the definite "loose ends" in some of the character development. At least that's my excuse to keep watching, which says a lot, because I am NOT a TV watcher. In fact I never owned a TV until a few years ago...

I just wish they would stop saying "BFF" and "Uber"

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You guys all know that youtube has thousands of hours of Ferrari video available for free, 24 hours a day, that don't require sitting through insufferable dialogue and bad acting, right?
    Just saying....

G. Pepper and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    but its on mainstream tv, so that validates us more :)

It actually feels like they say "Ferrari" more on this show so far. If the acting doesn't get any better, I may have to watch this show as a drinking game....take a shot every time someone says "Ferrari" or they show it in a scene.
    the product placement feels very heavy. reminds me of when BMW released a set of short films by high profile directors with Clive Owen in a Bond-ish role, featuring their cars. google if you get a chance, theyre pretty fun.

7. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I get that.
    But I don't know if im ever going to get past the casting and constant mugging for the cameras like hes Taylor Lautner or something. There I said it. Theres a "Twilight" quality to this show. Almost camp-y. The original was generally serious with some subtle humour for balance.

8. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
  9. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    thanks. didn't know that.

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I love those Clive Owen ads! But they were ads...albeit strange and great.

11. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    OMG (Magnum), I just realized a scary fact - When Ferris Bueller's Day Off was filmed (stay with me) in 1986, the iconic but "ancient, vintage, classic" Ferrari 250 GT California was 25 years old - a 1961 model.

Here we are with a new Magnum PI in 2018, and the last Ferrari driven by the original Thomas Magnum was (at the latest) a 1985 308 GTS QV. When the new Thomas Magnum pulled Robin Masters' treasured 308 GTS QV out of the garage, it was at least 33 years old - older, relative to the time frame, than Cameron's dad's 250 GT California in FBDO!!!

Texas Forever and Bisonte like this.
  12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  13. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Love that we are seeing photos from the set, keep it up!

Overall the show is just beginning. I'm enjoying it because I'm a long time Magnum fan and it's fun to just explore these characters. Stealing stuff like the end of episode Magnum voiceover is a bold choice, but it does keep me watching.

14. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    They do say Ferrari a lot; I have to wonder if FNA is somehow promoting it? Remember what happened what they crashed the fake Daytona on Miami Vice: Enzo immediately gave them 2 TRs to use.

15. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Try this one on for size - When Miami Vice premiered in 1984, Crockett's "vintage" Daytona Spider would have been about 12 years old, give or take. They did use a real one for 2 shots in the pilot, so I think it counts!!! Lol

Bisonte likes this.
  16. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    It was the other way around - Ferrari was suing McBernie and Miami Vice for copyright violation for using the replica Daytona, and the settlement that was agreed was that the show would destroy the replica and Ferrari would give them the TRs to replace it.

17. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Kelowna, Caphill, NbyNW and 6 others like this.
  18. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    papou,
    Thanks for posting that!

EnzoItaly likes this.
  19. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    OK, so the 458 got repaired going into episode 3. Magnum driving a salvage?

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  20. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
  21. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    #71 efg2014, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    A bad remake. Higgins is some hot chick and magnum looks sort of feminine. The other two guys are also lame. In the original, the 308 was THE car. Now they are changing Ferrari's like outfits. You can tell it is a very bad show as they have to crash the car to get people excited. No real story line so what do you do? Crash the car! :)

ricksb likes this.
  22. f308gtsi

f308gtsi Rookie

Dec 23, 2007
    United States
    After enduring the third episode I think the show would have been better off if they tried to take things in a different direction rather than trying to duplicate the original. Too much of it seems forced and the actors can't seem to relax into natural roles.

23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Well, hell. If Peter Weller is involved, I guess I'll have to give this a shot.

Thanks for the pix, Papou!

24. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Daniel: Thanks for the great photos! It is terrific to have you filming here on Oahu. I have been impressed with the lushness of the photography so far.

Let me know if you need a silver 360 Spider for any of your scenes (unless, of course, it is to wreck it . . . . .).

Aloha!

Kelowna likes this.
  25. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Watched the pilot, didn't like it.

Call me in a year or so when the Vin Diesel produced Miami Vice reboot gets started...