Official Make Over Thread for my 512TR. Many Pics! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Official Make Over Thread for my 512TR. Many Pics!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by silvergts1998, Oct 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Adam, stunning documentation. Looks wonderful, thank you for sharing, i look forward to the end result.

2. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Very cool!

I saw the pics with the paint coming off...that is one reason I will never paint my motor...I can just see it all peeling of down the road...

What did you do with all of the nuts/bolts/etc? It always shocks me how corroded these look on these cars, especially given that they are fair weather cars.

I ended up replacing most of mine with the zinc coated variety. I tried to find CAD plated nuts, but they just aren't avilable in metric. I have used clear coat to cover some bits that I sandblasted, such as the heat shield mounting brackets, various bolt heads, and even the hose clamps. And, they are holding up extremely well...

As an aside, I find that the high temp paint is way more durable than most other paints. I have painted bits black/clear with the dupont 500 degree/1200degree paints intended for blocks/exhausts/etc...and the finish is very hard. Almost impossible to scrape with your nails...good stuff.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Absolutely fantastic write up! I love that you are doing all the work yourself. You must be saving a fortune!

Post # 18 is the only thing that worries me a bit - The last pic about everything getting media blasted and powder coated in bright red. On Ferrari engines, I never like when owners make a lot of the parts red. It looks cheap in my opinion. I think the Diablo engine turned out fantastic..... Not sure if I like it only because I am not as familiar with Lambo engines, so it doesn't look strange to me. So I'm curious to see how the 512 turns out. Any reason you want to make everything bright red as opposed to returning to stock?

4. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #54 silvergts1998, Nov 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wait and see how it will look before ya judge. :)

I hate the crinkle paint that Ferrari and Lambo uses. It's cheap and dirty plus it hold in grime. My powder coating will liven the engine up and have accents on it. It might be a lot of red, but to me it's going to look good. Nothing on my engine is going to look cheap.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    You can get these acorn nuts in extended reach and stainless, instead of chrome. Chrome always end up rusting on me. Just a note.
    John

6. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam

yes, I go through my local supplier who is my brother (LOL!)

To answer the gentleman's question above, I do not know if the Testarossa's are the same as the 512TR. I would assume so.

7. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    Ab is that you?
    Pete from atlanta here, when did you get the TR is the diablo no more? Thanks for the advice on teh Avanti,did very well.Anyways sorry for the hijack.

8. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yes it's me. I have the Diablos and The Ferrari 512TR together...so that makes me more Italian than you! Don't tell your wife...she already like me the way I am, but tell her I am Italian...oooh boy!

9. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    Silly asian, you kill me. Have had a crappy year health wise, no racing this year , so I started being more AB like & doing all the defered maintanace & such on all my cars. I have had this ferrari for 21 years, it was my 1st track car! http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157835

Are you making wires for dual dist 308's yet?

Anyways the advice on the avanti was exellent, I ended up with a new 300C SRT8 thanks to your advice and it only took less than a month!

Hijack over

10. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I am having some custom wires made up by my guys for the 512TR. I am going to see how they come out. If you want me to take a look at yours, let me know. I think yours would be simple to make.

Man I hope your health is getting better my friend! I am glad everything worked out for you on your situation with your car. Gald I could help out! Take it easy on what you are doing. I found out I have slight case of high blood pressure and colesteral is a little high too...so I quite drinking beer for awhile...you know me...I like the fire water! LOL! (Actually I get more done by not hanging out with my beer buddies! Shh!) Remember "racoon eyes" and now I am working on Ferraris. LOL!

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Trans fan wont be necessary, but then again if you drive it hard on the road it could save you big $$ later

12. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    How are these things hooked up? Are you using an electric pump? Any pics?

13. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Adam
    I can't believe how fast you get your parts back!!! And how easy it is to get stuff (like the acorns) There's not much here in Maui I guess...I wish I was your neighbor!!! LOL!

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yep, looking forward to seeing the engine completed! I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. :)

Congrats on the radiators, they turned out fantastic!

15. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #65 silvergts1998, Nov 3, 2007
    I got the my parts back from powder coating. I had all the crinkle finish taken off. That crinkle finish holds in so much grease and grime. This powder coating will shrug off grease and will be easy to wipe down. Everything was polished and clear coated. I even got the prancing horse polished. If you notice the ferrari lettering and stripes are also polished on the air boxes. Can't wait to get everything on the engine. This engine is going to look sooo awesome!

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    dont we have a thread of the month award or something?

this has been a great read, i feel i have learned so much in this one thread. thank you for all the time it took to document and upload these pics.

i would love to see a few pics of the Diablo you did, or post a link if there is an existing thread. your passion and attention to detail are truly amazing.

:) bravo ! Michael

17. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    these peices belong in the modern section of an art museum.......well done

18. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I'm wondering about the powder coated parts. Did you get the entire intake coated and then come back and sand / polish the powdercoating on the ribs, name and horse so that they remained silver. And then clear coat over this I presume?

19. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    We polished them first and then spray them. After they are sprayed we scrape off the powder coating and respray with clear powder. Then they go in the oven.

20. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    I likey!! Red Head all the way!

21. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #71 silvergts1998, Nov 3, 2007
  22. Leave the air boxes alone for now, then in the winter if you don't like them - change them. It's time to assemble. I guess you need to pick up some white gloves & beer.

23. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Adam, that's unbelieveable that you did that amount of work and recieved the parts back in only 8 days. A big well done.

24. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Looks very nice, cant wait to see it alltogether

Maybe I'll have my mechs do something like that on my race car while she's down off season now

25. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam