Official Make Over Thread for my 512TR. Many Pics! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Official Make Over Thread for my 512TR. Many Pics!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by silvergts1998, Oct 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I got the car started today. Car seems to run fine and strong. It rained today, but screw it! I drove the car anyways! It's just water right? LOL!

I do notice my car idles high at times and all vacum hoses seem to be in check so no open air supply to make it rev that high. I think it might have something to do with the throttle linkage and getting it adjusted right.

2. babyruth95746

babyruth95746 Karting

Feb 11, 2007
    granite bay, ca
    Full Name:
    steve r
    great thread, can't wait to see a video! Thanks for the awesome pictures

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Congrats on completing the job! Looks great, you could definitely make a business out of doing that kind of work.
    :)
    BT

4. mhiroshima

mhiroshima Rookie

Sep 10, 2007
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Michael Hiroshima
    Adam
    Great work!
    I also have a Ferrari 512TR and my tool kit is missing the Wire Harness next to the two Screw Drivers in the tray that has the Tow Hook
    Can you identify and inform me where I can obtain the misssing part?
    Orange County Ferrari Dealer's parts book only identifies it as misc.
    Thank You
    Michael

5. 79spitfire

79spitfire Rookie

Nov 14, 2007
    Spectacular job, I hope you get the running sorted out, I think the black air boxes would look good, perhaps with red lettering. Again, thanks for your efforts and great documentation. Has been a great help!

6. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Oh my....this is a very good thread. You can save them in a CD & start hawking them!

Good job there. Really appreciate your effort to share this with us.

7. grantb

grantb Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Columbia SC
    Full Name:
    Danny Burnstein
    Just found and read your thread. What a fantastic job, from the actual work, to the pics, to the description.
    Bella, Bella, Bella!!!!!!!!

8. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    wow, that was an unbelievable job you did on your engine! It looks spectacular - looks better than a brand new car's engine! I cannot believe how clean everything is especially considering the age of the car. Super Job. Yeah, I wold also hate to take it out and get it dirty! Should be in the ferrari museum on display!
    gordon

9. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
  10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Sounds pretty good!

11. ggetz

ggetz Karting

Dec 20, 2007
    Having read this thread from start to finish, I have to say that I'm greatly impressed! A great record of what was clearly a labor of love.

While I'm already on the public record about the powdercoating and other non-original aspects of your renovation (I'm a no), I certainly admire your passion and commitment, as well as your desire to make your Ferrari absolutely the best it can be, with the exact definition of "best" being something about which people of good will can certainly disagree. Not to mention your willingness to scrape your knuckles getting the grime out of all of those nooks and crannies.

As long as I'm at it, consider me to be wagging my finger in your general direction about coring out the cats -- at 11 mpg, I consider that I'm destroying the Earth enough already! -- but to each his own. Congrats at pursuing your own vision with such ardor, and I hope that you continue to enjoy the results.

Best,

Gary

12. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks Gary for the compliments. I hardley drive the 512TR so the pollution is non existance...now on the other hand I get more than 11 mpg on my car. Ever since I changed out the injectors the gas mileage has went up alot.

You can wave your finger at me on my truck now. :) I need to get something better and more enviro friendly here soon on that.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Silver- You are an artist. And it looks like you drink Weihenstephaner beer so you and I would get along great. Kristall Weissbier for me. When I grow up, I want to be like you, except I refuse to grow up. That is the prettiest Ferrari engine compartment I have seen.

Your Faithful Servant (sorry Manney),

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. CarmelFerrari

CarmelFerrari Karting

Apr 24, 2008
    I've saved every page and am actually studying it! Fantastic job and experience, and I thought my 512 was clean LOL!

Thanks so much for the effort, will it be shown somewhere where some of us might be able to see it?

15. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Wow! Old post came back! :)

I am planning to take off all the powder coating and go back to OEM crinkle paint finish. I am going to keep this baby close to OEM as much as I can. Engine is still pretty clean. My next move is the interior this winter. I want to redo the seats and dash. May even look at carpet also.

16. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    All that I can say is WOW.. The engine looks amazing. I am so jealous... Great job.. any reason why you are going back to crinckle finish. Does the clear hold up.

R

17. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Everything is fine, I just wanted to go back to OEM finish.

18. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    #143 barabus, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
    Adam,

Just found this thread, greetings from over the pond, you've done a sterling job Adam. You say you're just a DIY'r but with all the equipment and tools you've got you seem more like a professional to me and the end result is stunning, all credit to you. I must say the underneath almost looks more spectacular than the top end. I've been toying with the idea of doing a similar job on my Testa but have often wondered if i quite have enough bottle. It's threads like yours and Jeffs (carguys) that keep pushing me on to do it. Thanks for all your hard work and inspiration.

Cheers Si

UK

19. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam

Thanks!

20. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Adam, the red work on your engine and intake boxes looks superb, and personally I would keep it. But if you want to go back to crinkle silver, rather than waste all that time and effort to strip it off, why not offer it to someone here on a changover basis and then you can repaint theirs for yourself in silver crinkle.

Seems such a waste of beautiful work. I'll bet someone here would love to buy your red pipes, manifold and airboxes for a reasonable price C/O.

Just a thought.

Rob.

21. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It's a good idea! But don't think many on here would want it plus I would like to get it done soon...My boxes are not read right now. THey are black I will post an updated pic soon.

22. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #147 silvergts1998, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    it looks superb to me! :-o

are you going to sell it? i do not see any reason to go back to stock loock!

24. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It's always for sale. LOL!

I am seriously thinking of selling it to get something else. Any real offers I am willing to entertain. The car has 19K on the clock right now.

25. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    bump for research.

this is an amazing thread.

should be a sticky, given all the detailed photos.

great work!