The Purosangue Thread | Page 252 | FerrariChat

The Purosangue Thread

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by MDEL, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    we know it, no need to repeat it in all sections of the forum

PATRIEK and paulchua like this.
  2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    it's also slower to 200km/hr

Bamsefar likes this.
  3. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    No some doesn’t know this precise agenda.
    And don’t tell me what to do or not.

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. footsoldier

footsoldier Karting

Sep 18, 2009
    Evo sums up my feelings on it, and I can't help thinking back to Lusso reviews, such as Chris Harris's, which were more enthusiastic.
    Clearly well put together, and never think that winter tire reviews are that helpful for commenting on unltimate dynamics, but I did expect more raving in the reviews. I was expecting a little more cancelled-deposit-remorse!

For me, it's a niche I don't need to fill - I wouldn't take it out on the days I need a big family bad-weather SUV, and wouldn't take it out on the days I can use a sportscar. Still not quite enough space in the back, higher COG, not as much effortless torque on long motorway trips as the V8 turbos (heresy I know...), and let's not talk about the effortlessness of haptics...
    For others, who are looking for a Ferrari on all occasions then fair enough. Great piece of kit, clearly a very competent one, they will all sell, and will be the thing to have no doubt. I do hope that the cost of them don't make people mileage sensitive, because then it really is a compromise too far, in my opinion.

EVO
    Overall the Purosangue is a deeply impressive and intriguing car. I’m just not sure what it’s really for. It’s not practical enough to be a true Range Rover or Cayenne replacement but it’s too big and too compromised to be a true sports GT. It also lacks the sepia-toned glamour that drips from cars like the GTC4 Lusso with their direct link to the wonderful GTs from days past. It simply doesn’t feel as special. What an engine, though. They will, of course, sell every one they can make. That’s what it’s for, ultimately. The Purosangue is a happy car for Ferrari’s future but it’s a little sad that it’s had to go here at all.

5. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Went out for lunch in Denver. Like the color matched wheel arch fairings better than the CF ones.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

sailfly, 250boano, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've noticed every negative review does not trash the car, they simply would rather have a 'pure sports car' when they want a pure sports car.

Well duh.

I want a desktop, the problem is this is a laptop, if it could just be a desktop. (Loop it.)
    Yes, you’re right, the professional car reviewers at C&D, MT, R&T have zero experiences with Ferrari. My bad.
    One good critique deserves any another. May you let us know your bylines?

PATRIEK, elmadi and Nospinzone like this.
  7. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I would enjoy seeing some lifestyle info on the buyers
    Ex. Owns a business grossing at least $50 million, owns a private jet, owns a ship (50 meter min), owns a home of at least 10,000 sf or something like that
    What I am getting at is my guess is that many of the buyers are so well resourced that a $500k vehicle is a rounding error in the asset category and may not worry about getting the thing messy

elmadi and paulchua like this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #6283 paulchua, Mar 9, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    Experian looked at a sample of Ferrari owners and found that the average household income was about 500K
    A Ferrari customer in North America is 47 years old (higher in China), 45 percent are entrepreneurs, and 45 percent have a doctorate or MBA.
    The above is where a backhanded compliment - a Dentist can buy a Ferrari comes from. Not particularly earth-shattering.

As we know though, there are Ferrari customers and then there are Ferrari CUSTOMERS.

The 'real' customer is folks where your money works for you. I argue at least 10M in the bank (NOT INCLUDING PRIMARY RESIDENCE) Is when you can feel you're inside the stadium (albeit in the nose bleeds.) This is the group this car is targeted to, not a cheap schmo like me. :)

elmadi likes this.
  9. Senad

Senad Formula Junior

May 14, 2019
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Sanad Alibrahim
    a dentist CAN :) get a Ferrari
    But just .

paulchua likes this.
  10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hey Paul, like me, you may be cheap, but you're no schmo! :D

paulchua likes this.
  11. elmadi

elmadi Formula 3

Apr 25, 2009

MDEL likes this.
  12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Is ps ever getting its own subforum? It should

Juvendude likes this.
  13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Wow thats crazy to me. I earned $400k year and was nowhere near being able to afford any new ferrari. But then I lived in Los Angeles lol

dhlnb and paulchua like this.
  14. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    For those who cant figure out who the Puro customer is...its me. Single with dogs. Id use it as my daily driver as has enough room for 95% of my needs, such as taking dogs out, going to Home Depot, etc... And its not so low its going to cause me to throw my back out, which has happened more than once in my 360.

I have no desire for low slung sports cars at my age. Puro with a Portofino is perfect combination.

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    At one point I thought the same thing, but there will be so few of them out there, and even fewer owners who are on FChat, it would be a dead forum.

16. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I don't think 629 pages here is dead zone

elmadi likes this.
  17. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Thanks but some of the referenced analysis has gotten dated
    A 296 GTS with some options will sticker in the $400s and the SUV in the $500s
    To get an SUV allocation my understanding is you have to be on the Ferrari loves you list
    I kinda think folks in that category would have at least $50 million with a lot of these folks at say 10x that

paulchua likes this.
  18. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Like the LaFerrari etc? ;)

It’s simply a personal issue. Just put it with the Lusso…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Lukeylikey, elmadi and 456-boy like this.
  20. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yes! 100% agree! Didn‘t understand this ignore! It‘s a Ferrari and it seems to be a stunner and yes the 4-doors are new
    but so what…

anunakki, elmadi and Nospinzone like this.
  21. Data

Data Karting

Dec 11, 2007
    We have a few hard punchers on this forum who pay that in taxes alone each year.

22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Sorry, evidently you need a subscription to the WSJ to read this. I'll look for an alternative method.
    2024 Ferrari Purosangue: A Touring Wagon That Howls
    The first four-door, four-seat production car from the Italian house of speed is powered by a 715-hp V12 engine—a category departure that still brings all the Ferrari drama, writes Dan Neil

GOOD SPORT The Purosangue’s front-mid-mounted V12 typically sends torque only to the eight-speed, dual-clutch rear transaxle, ensuring a super-sporty, rear-drive character. The AWD comes by way of a power takeoff and two-speed gearbox that transfers torque to the front predictively when the dynamic controls sense slip at the rear.PHOTO: FERRARI
    Image Unavailable, Please Login By Dan Neil
    March 9, 2023 at 4:47 pm ET
    IN ITS WISDOM, Ferrari staged the global press launch for the new Purosangue AWD wagon in February, in the Dolomites, near Madonna di Campiglio in northern Italy. Unfortunately, the region’s mild winter meant that scenic, snow-covered mountain trails were in short supply. As a last resort, Ferrari’s team established a short, hair-raising course in some shadowed patch of woods, through rutted snow and between large trees that had been wrapped in orange pads—to protect the trees, not the cars.

How very Italian. While I waited my turn, visions of tree-slapping the six-figure, 12-cylinder Purosangue raced through my mind. Oh what an exalted shower of parts that would make. WHOOM! There goes the aerospace-caliber aluminum monocoque. Say arrivederci to the carbon-composite and aluminum body panels. Buona fortuna getting those rear-hinged back doors to hang straight again.

Then the man said avanti! and I romped it. So Pavlovian.

Contrary to early reports, the Purosangue (“thoroughbred”) is not an SUV but rather a touring wagon, with four full doors, a liftgate and cargo space for up to four rollaboards laden with Krugerrands. The reclining silhouette is similar to the retiring GTC4Lusso, only a bit taller and thicker, sitting on a slightly leggier suspension. Ferrari engineers note that while the driver’s view is elevated compared to previous cars, the long-legged sitting posture remains classic Ferrari.

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP

Grapevine

A weekly look at our most colorful, thought-provoking and original feature stories on the business of life.

Subscribe
    Remaining doubts about its Ferrari-ness dissipate with the touch of the Start button. KWWEeee-drummmmmmm…throbbing in the hull is a conservatory-trained V12: naturally aspirated, dry-sump lubricated, direct-injected, 6.5 liters of silken savagery. No turbos, no plug-in hybrid electrics. Bareback, if you will.

RARE BREED The Ferrari Purosangue is powered by one of the last V12 engines on the market, and it’s a screamer: Naturally aspirated, dry-sump lubricated, with high-pressure direct fuel injection fed by two 350-bar fuel pumps, the 6.5-liter, 65-degree V12 produces a maximum 715 hp at 7,750 rpm.PHOTO: FERRARI
    Behold, dyno numbers of the gods: a maximum 715 hp, gathering at a sky-high 7,750 rpm. Maximum torque (528 lb-ft) also lives atop Olympus, at 6,250 rpm. Dual 350-bar fuel pumps, 13.6:1 compression ratio, 8,250 rpm redline? Mamma mia!

All this lusty thrust gets piped to an eight-speed, dual-clutch transmission (transaxle) mounted in the rear. Like the Lusso, the Purosangue behaves effectively as a rear-drive car until otherwise required. A unique two-speed gearbox (plus Reverse) takes power off the front of the V12 to drive the front wheels, as needed. Two of the five drive modes (Ice, Rain) are maps for low-grip conditions.

The figures of merit are formidable: 0-62 mph in 3.3 seconds and thence to 124 mph in 10.6 seconds. But numbers scarcely do justice to the sensation of being mechanically coupled to this two-ton killer whale when it’s in seal-hunting mode. Aquaman needs to trade in his sea horse.

Such performance might have been achieved at a lower cost and emissions with electric propulsion. The Purosangue targets brat-mobiles such as the Lamborghini Urus Performante and Bentley Bentayga; but a Tesla Model X Plaid can outrun them all at a fraction of the cost. What does a Ferrari offer, if not categorical bragging rights?

Drama. The portentous drumming at stoplights, the bawling upshifts and guttering downshifts between hairpins, the avalanche-inducing hosannas at speed. Ferrari’s gas-flow musicologists have endeavored to create the Trombone of Doom. The equal-length exhaust headers have been tweaked to better complement the chordal harmonics of a 12-cylinder. The revised intake manifolds and stubby intake runners contribute crisp resonances in the mid-frequency range, coloring in the aural spectrum.

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue
    And, as the revs approach the 8,250-rpm redline, there is a sort of harmonic convergence, a ringing, wailing crescendo, which will pull your car-loving brain apart like fresh bread.

Not everyone is delighted by the Purosangue. For some of the old guard, a fat, four-door Ferrari is heresy, an affront to Enzo’s sacred memory. Meanwhile, against the backdrop of E.U.’s effort to ban tailpipes by 2035, the Purosangue’s recidivism seems particularly brazen.

For some of the old guard, a fat, four-door Ferrari is heresy, an affront to Enzo’s sacred memory.

Ferrari is playing a crowded chessboard here. Now independent of Fiat Group, it can’t hide its gargantuan emission/consumption within fleet averages of a larger corporate owner. Ferrari has laid out its timeline for electrification in the next decade, with most new models featuring some sort of hybridization. But it is also quietly pushing for relaxed standards for low-volume automakers, permitting them to build limited numbers of IC-powered cars, for the foreseeable.

Ferrari says it will constrain Purosangue to 20% of total annual production, or around 2,600 units, even though they could probably sell several times that. The Purosangue is sure to be the hottest ticket in Maranello.

Astonishment is on the menu. Among the wonders, the 48-volt active suspension and damping system, using liquid-cooled motors and spool valves at each corner to actively, instantly and uncannily compensate for vehicle momenta (roll, dive, squat, and the vector cross-products thereof) while also seeming to magically pave the road underneath. I give ride-and-handling an 11 out of a possible 10.

Adding to the high-tech synergy is the latest edition of Ferrari’s rear-wheel steering, super-smart brakes and empathic Side-Slip control algorithms, all of which helped me waltz the Purosangue between the trees without incident. That and the oil-drum size snow tires from Michelin.

ENDOWED CHAIR The Ferrari Purosangue’s cabin provides four matching sport bucket seats with heating and ventilation functions. The forward bulkhead comprises two sleek widescreen displays, one each for driver and passenger. Ferrari omitted a conventional navigation display in the cockpit reasoning that drivers will connect their smartphones.PHOTO: FERRARI
    Above all I appreciate the work it took to transcend the boxy SUV paradigm. Compared to the low and lean Purosangue, the Lamborghini Urus Performante looks like it only came up the hill to deliver Amazon parcels.

The rear-hinged doors are pivotal, if you’ll pardon the pun. These full-size power-assisted rear doors each swing on a single, formidable hinge at the rear, mounted to large and impressive structural castings hidden in the quarter panel.

With them, the Purosangue’s rear cabin could be made more spacious, comfortable and easily accessible without spoiling the coupe-like profile. With them, designers were able to endow the four-door with its exotically cinched waist, its lengthier hood and faster silhouette.

But rear-hinged doors are hard, which is to say, expensive. They require a specific architecture, with load paths, side-impact mitigation, latching and sealing requirements very different from front-hinged doors. Like just about every other corner of this car, the suicide doors testify to an all-hands, costs-be-damned determination to make the Purosangue a landmark vehicle.

So don’t hurt the trees.

2024 Ferrari Purosangue
    FANTASTIC FOUR The Purosangue (“thoroughbred”) is Ferrari’s first four-door, four-seat production car. Built on an all-aluminum monocoque structure unique to the model, the Purosangue features rear-hinged back doors that swing open up to 79 degrees, easing access to the two-seat rear cabin.PHOTO: FERRARI
    Base price: $393,350

Price, as tested: $483,350 (est).

Powertrain: Front-mid-mounted, naturally aspirated, direct-injected 6.5-liter DOHC V12; eight-speed dual-clutch rear transaxle; two-speed (plus reverse) front-mounted transmission for the front wheels.

Power/torque: 715 hp at 7,750 rpm/528 lb-ft at 6,250 rpm

Length/wheelbase/height/width: 195.8/118.8/79.8/62.6 inches

Curb weight: 4,784 pounds

0-62 mph: 3.3 seconds

EPA fuel economy: 12/16/13 mpg

Cargo capacity: 17 cubic feet

Sinnerman, MDEL, anunakki and 2 others like this.
  23. elmadi

elmadi Formula 3

Apr 25, 2009
    Make sense.... congrats for getting the Purosangue!

24. elmadi

elmadi Formula 3

Apr 25, 2009