Oh ohh, I just bought a car older than I am! - 1957 XK140 MC OTS | FerrariChat

Oh ohh, I just bought a car older than I am! - 1957 XK140 MC OTS

Discussion in 'British' started by John B, Nov 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I've been buying and enjoying cars for 44 years, but this is the first time I bought a car older than I am. It feels like I just broke a natural barrier of some sort, like the speed of sound or something. I'm not sure what the implications are.

I've had my eye on Jag XK's for quite a while and have come close to getting one once or twice. Along the way I've learned that I prefer the "swoopy" lines of the XK120 & XK140 to the straighter XK150. I also learned that at 6'3" I really don't fit in an XK120, and that the XK140 has 4" more leg room, plus rack & pinion steering and telescopic shocks that were not on the 120's. I've always been a fan of roadsters and cars that were traditionally designed as such so I really only considered the Open Two Seater (OTS) as opposed to the Fixed Head Coupe (FHC) or Drop Head Coupe (DHC). Being a bit of a performance junkie I also wanted the "MC" option which includes the head from the "C-Type" LeMans racer with larger valves and ports, sportier cams, and dual exhaust along with other goodies like stiffer torsion bars and driving lights. So of all the 18 XK variants (XK120, XK140, XK150 : OTS, FHC, DHC : MC, std) for me, it had to be an XK140 MC OTS. You don't see them that often, but whenever I stumbled across one I would consider it.

Recently I happened across this British Racing Green XK140 MC OTS that was on its second owner, who had owned it 40 years. It looked great in the pictures, the owner was an enthusiastic engineer who was very educated and into the marque, and the price was very reasonable. I decided to grab my toolbag and fly out for a look. I was tentative on my way out, would the car be as good as it looked? Would I fit? I've never sat in a 140, so I wasn't sure if that extra 4" of legroom would do the trick. I'd never driven an XK at all so I wasn't even sure if I'd like it. I thought perhaps it might feel too "truckish" to me. After a quick chat with the owner and his wife we went into the garage and my jaw just about hit the floor. The car was stunning! Perfect body gaps, excellent paint, beautiful interior patina, no rust. Compression was 150 down the line, just as he said it would be. Then it was time for a drive. I fit reasonably well, that extra 4" makes all the difference in the world. I really enjoyed driving the car, it's powerful, smooth, and relatively nimble. It's actually surprisingly quick for a 60 year old car. They call them XK140's because Jaguar tested them at over 140 mph, there's a plaque on the dash attesting to it. These must have just blown peoples minds in the 50's when going 100mph was a big deal! The car sounds great and the non-synchro first gear makes a wonderful whine. Although they require a bit more pressure than discs, the drum brakes actually work quite well and haul the car down nice and straight. Bottom line the car checked all my boxes and was very reasonably priced so I just couldn't not buy it. Since then I've been really enjoying it, I go for a quick ride every moment I can. Every drive is an occasion and an adventure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Congratulations on your new acquisition. I am sure you will enjoy many happy miles in her. :)

of2worlds likes this.
  3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

if you ever need a 1st rate mechanic (and you probably will) best Brit car guy I know is across the river from you in Malvern, PA. Ralph Steinberg at cloverleaf Auto has been fixing and racing old jags since the late 70's. He's just the right mix of curmudgeon and master mechanic for these.

Good luck with her, that car is a beauty.

D

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    wax and of2worlds like this.
  5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Same with Terry Lippincott - Sinking Spring, PA. Great guy - not a curmudgeon by any means, but in his 70s, doing Jags forever. He worked on my E-Type.

The XK is a waaaayy different experience from your Carrera GT!!! Good luck and congrats!!

6. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks for the Jag mechanic tips guys. I like to do most of the minor stuff myself but certainly can benefit from having access to experienced mechanics when the going gets rough.
    BlueBottle, I really like that! right up my alley.

rdefabri likes this.
  7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That’s a gorgeous car, John!

Matt

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Last LBC tip of the day.

http://www.brgparts.com/index.html

Can't find a part? Call Jim at BRG, he has a yard full of cars he's always parting out, and is also a Moss Motors distributor. This is another one of those lifelong Brit car guys that can find almost anything for your car.

Also a good guy, although again, a bit of a curmudgeon. (seems to be a theme for the car guys I know. :D)

D

John B likes this.
  9. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    That's awesome! Thanks

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012