Oil Additive "Tutela" for 599 GTB | FerrariChat

Oil Additive "Tutela" for 599 GTB

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by denfpal, Apr 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    My 2008 599 has about 5,800 miles on it. When the engine is first started (until it warms up) you can hear a slight rattling sound coming from the top of the engine...it sounds something like if you had a couple of glass marbles in your hand and were shaking them around together. Once the engine warms up this rattling sound seems to go away. Are these simply noisy valve lifters? Is this an inherent problem with this engine? At the last oil service, the dealer added a bottle of Tutela to the crankcase for about $40 without being asked by me to do so. What is this product...is it recommend by Ferrari...and is it OK to use this as an oil additive in the 6.0 liter V12? If anyone has experienced this similar scenario - please let me have your thoughts and comments. Thank you.

2. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    Tutela as far as I know is the recommended oil for the 575 F1 system. Why would they put it in the engine?

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is more than one type of Tutela and the one they are adding is to quiet down the hydraulic lifters until they pump up with oil as she warms up. That is what you are hearing and it will cause no problems. Personally, I could put up with the lifter noise rather than having snake oil put in my crankcase to quiet the lifters. We have the same thing in 575Ms, but the quieter 612s and 599s are the only ones generating complaints about lifter noise.

Tutela CS Speed is a synthetic hydraulic fluid/ATF used in power steering and F1/Selespeed systems.

4. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    Tutela, I believe, is the brand name - I suspect that they make products for engines, transmissions, etc., but I'm not sure about this. Prior to having it installed in my engine along with the oil/filter service, I had never heard of it before. Moreover, checked around southeastern Florida and nobody carries it other than the Ferrari dealership. What is this mystery product? - help!

5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The Tutela oil additive for the 599 is standard issue for 599. It is in the engine from the factory and is part of the oil change. I am sure this is why you were not asked. I have had no issues with its use in any 599 I have had in for service.
    Just keep the oil level at bottom mark on the high/low mark. This is when the engine is COMPLETELY hot. If it gets too high it will vent off into the intake as it is designed to do. The bottom high/low mark still has plenty of oil in the system.
    Enjoy driving.

6. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    Thanks for the good information - I'm feeling better already about the Tutela additive - this is my 1st Ferrari and I must say that I'm in love! Regards, Dennis

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wade- Do you think it is necessary because of the 10W-60 oil taking a while to get into the lifters or is it the lifter design? Is there a mention of the Tutela in a tech bulletin or in MODIS? There is nothing I see in the lubricants charts in the owners manuals through 2010.

8. Hoss91IEP

Hoss91IEP Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    East Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    Thomas K
    Marvel Mystery Oil with a dash of Sea Foam?
    Not for me...
    I don't mind listening to the audience chatter, as the symphony warms up.
    Nothing like 12 cylinders. I've had my first Ferrari, a 2009 612 for only three months and am elated!
    FWIW (likely nothing), I'll be servicing my F at a dealership (FoA), but will forego the additive.

9. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Try shutting it down slower easier. Let it idle a little before shut down. You will notice less clatter when starting.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations on the 599. Seems like its all ok. She's a great car.

11. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Do not leave out the additive. It is specifically called out for in Ferrari technical documentation for the valve train and the variable valve timing operation. Leaving it out will cause issues and potentially a check engine light because it cannot control the valve timing properly.

12. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    Greetings from Dubai!

I just found out that my private garage refuses to use Tutela as his experience proves issues in long term. I checked also service records at Ferrari official dealer at Oman and there is also just the Shell oil noted, no Tutela.

I recently get engine check light but it seems related to rear catalytic converter or sensor. Now I wonder what engine error would appear if the problem was due to a valve timing issue as described above?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I learn something everyday. I always thought oil additives and things like it to be band-aids for problems. To think it is SOP for oil changes on a 599 is laughable. Some Mustang Gen2+ V8 motors have what is described as a "BBQ tick" that noise you get when you light your BBQ with a Bick triggered lighter. It is a total joke. Mustang guys add Ceratec to their motor oil and it mostly goes away. No one can agree on what the noise is or why some motors have it.

14. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Tutela FVI (Ferrari Viscosity Improver) is quite similar to STP, but unlike STP, this is a Ferrari approved product.

I use it in my vintage cars . Once I've changed the oil I add a bit of additive until the high temp oil pressure is within spec. As a side benefits, makes my timing chain less noisy during startup. Works quite well, but I would not put the full bottle in a car as a single glass of the product does increase the viscosity a lot. Also some of the product ends-up in the oil catch can.

All in all works well but use sparingly.

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Oil out of the bottle is an engineered product with an additive package designed to work with the base stock of that design. Can anyone explain why it is a good idea to put in foreign additives never designed or tested to work with the engineered oil? These cars are not driven much and oils time out more than they are used up. Oil tests are definitive for oil condition and oil change interval. Oil boosters and additives work but bandaid problems or deficiencies. An example might be old motors needing tetra ethyl lead or ZDDP. If the additive package in the engineered oil is being used up then it is time to change the oil not extend it's life with boosters and additives. The time that kind of thing makes sense is when money is on the line in commercial industrial settings where a cost benefit analysis is done for or against additives or lubricant change.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

It is a band aid used so Ferrari does not have to admit they are 40 years behind in lifter design. Chevy Ford and Chrysler had it figured out by the mid 70s, The Japanese just copied us and had it down just a couple of years later. The Germans finally got it about 20 years later and the Italians? Well its 2021 now. We'll see.

My Ford truck has 145,000 miles and has lifter noise about like our E55 Mercedes when new and about the same as new Ferrari's.

But everone knows American cars are junk.

17. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I use it in 40 years old cars ... (with loose timing chains, and noisy rocker arms)

As said it does make cold start much less noisy and increases hot oil pressure (A LOT). Adding a glass (<20cl) of this product to 5lites of Motul 10w40 roughly gives the same hot pressure I had with Igol 10w60. As far as the 599/612 are concerned, Ferrari add this product to an already thick oil (10w60). I do not know how much additional viscosity they were trying to achieve on the but must be high. Maybe that in the long run this thick oil could be an issue?

As this product was specifically designed for use in conjunction with the Shell oil on the 612/599, at least one should not be concerned about mixing it with the Shell oil it was designed to work with.

More info on the subject : https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/fvi-booster-oil-additive.520954/

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

It was actually added to help with variator operation at hot engine and oil. Ferrari was having some issues with camshaft and crankshaft correlation errors. They changed the variator design in the GTO version and did away with the additiove.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    So primarily as a viscosity modifier to increase viscosity when hot? Very interesting...

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dominick- No, I meant where did he get that information.

23. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #23 raemin, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    It's not a magic product that only increases hot viscosity: it does increase also cold viscosity.

The safety data-sheet does not provide comprehensive details "Severely refined mineral and/or synthetic oils, additives". Looks like a semi-synthetic formula. For lack of better information, at first sight, it does look like an old-school product: amber colour, and smell is closer to mineral gear oil than modern POE. When cold it's thick. By contrast modern Esther additives are usually clear, almost odourless and reasonably fluid in the bottle, as they do get thicker with heat:

At the end of the day, I like the product (1/approved by Ferrari, 2/tames noisy engine, 3/increase oil pressure and 4/cheap), but one has to bear in mind that it features 320cst at 100°C (regular SAE 50 oil is 18cst, SAE60 is 24cst). I suspect the full 1L bottle can increase viscosity beyond reasonable boundaries.

I've included the data-sheets.

Attached Files:

FNCOOL likes this.
  24. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    Having no issues of cold clicking at 80k kms, I will keep not using as it doesn't appear to be added also in the past by Ferrari service looking at service records.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I get the noise when the engine is hot, loud ticking...I'm told that the Variators are the issues and they just get tappety.... factory uses the additive to help quiet them... more annoying that a problem