Oil and Water Temp Senders PN 100453 | FerrariChat

Oil and Water Temp Senders PN 100453

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Doug D, Sep 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug D

Doug D Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Douglas Dwyer
    Hi everybody. Ran into a snag.

1974 365GT4 2+2

Trying to replace the oil temp and water temp sending units. I have two of part number 100453.....but they don't fit. Thread size is apparently different. The originals thread in-and-out like butter. The new parts won't thread, and naturally I don't want to force them.

This parts number is seemingly correct for both oil and water temp and is applicable to a wide variety of Ferraris. Such a wide variety, in fact, that I'm wondering about an incorrect newer-vs-older specification conflict. I'm sure we've all seen instances when recent substitutions/replacements are not always correct.

Thoughts? Alternative part number? I searched the archives using the part number but came up empty.

Thanks
    Doug D.

2. Doug D

Doug D Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Douglas Dwyer
    Update, perhaps helpful to others in the future. Problem solved.

On closer examination of the new senders, and comparison against the old, it became apparent the the thread size and pitch of the new parts was correct but the contour of the threads was different. I'm not familiar with the correct terminology but the threads were taller and sharper.

I ran the new senders through a M16-1.5 thread chaser which removed a fair bit of material. I then dressed the threads lightly on the wire wheel. The new senders now thread into the holes like butter !

Cheers
    DD

Il Tifoso likes this.
  3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks for the info.