Oil Change made really easy | FerrariChat

Oil Change made really easy

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Aeroengineman, Jul 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I have a 2015 458 Spider but because I'm an engine guy, others that know me ask my opinion on doing an oil change themselves vs paying the dealer an un godly amount. I'm on the 7 year program but I intend to keep my car for a long time so I decided to research how I would do it.

There are several threads about cutting access holes in the belly tray which I researched and had planned to eventually do in 2022. One experienced guy, said he only uses the oil sump drain as the crankcase drains when open never produce a significant amount. I even located all three drain plugs to find that the factory witness marks have never been broken - indicating the oil was never changed using the crankcase and sump drains. See Photos

TA DA - I think the Ferrari Dealer is using an evacuation system from above through the oil tank filler!!!
    -- and they are charging how much?:

My 2015 has a cutout earlier models don't have so I can inspect for oil leaks without removing the tray.

Option 1 (shows concept)
    Option 2 (large capacity for big sumps)

With 9 quarts – I suggest we use the extraction process of option 2.

P.S. There are good videos on changing the filter from above also but you have to lay a small soft mattress across the engine bay to get to it without damaging anything. Here is the full video but go to the 8:45 point to get to the filter change:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F485, Graz, pdxjim488 and 4 others like this.
  2. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Great to know!

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great job!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Update: I NOW BELIEVE I WAS IN ERROR Evacuation alone will NOT do the job

With the help of friends, I did a diagnostic analysis of the suction method by removing the lower tray and first trying evacuation from above and then opening the drains from below. Note how dirty the lower tray was and I had the time to clean it. Note the little evacuation pump mounted on some melamine hardboard. It worked perfectly but was only able to evacuate 6 quarts of oil. It took some doing to snake the hose down the long neck of the oil tank but you know you are in all the way at 25 inches. (the flat bottom of the tank is (18 inches).

Here are the results into calibrated containers:
    Evacuation from tank and filter area = 6 quarts
    Draining the oil tank from below = 2 quarts
    Draining the two crankcase plugs = 1 quart each = 2 quarts
    Total Drained =10 quarts

Attached Files:

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks Dave, great to see if an oil extractor would work or not. It was a fun morning and interesting exercise. Guess we now have the answer.

6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Excellent detailed information. Thank you so much for doing the video and posting it!

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I was present during the maintenances and the oil was changed via these drains always at my oem F shop …..

8. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    #8 hgoodwiniii, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Ok everyone, I been changing oil for probably 40 years now but I find myself needing some clarification. I changed the oil in my 458 Italia for the second year in row last week. The manual calls for 10.5 QTS. I put 8QTS in after draining the engine from below and the dipstick reads over by about an inch over the max mark. Last year, it was over when I added 9QTS after draining from below. The dipstick read about 2 inches above the max mark so I drained some out. Both years, I drained oil from the oil tank and the two crankcase plugs below, only. I left the drain holes open over night. If I am reading this thread correctly, oil needs to be sucked from the tank and filter area from above the engine, as well. Please let me know if correct.

9. Eds458

Eds458 Karting

Jan 24, 2020
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Edward Lagunte
    Same thing happened to me the 1st time I changed the oil. I drained with a cold engine 1st thing in the morning and let it drain half the day. Second time around I warmed up the engine before I drained it. When I filled it took a little over 10qts.

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

hgoodwiniii likes this.
  10. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I put in a little over 10 quarts of oil in my last oil change too.

hgoodwiniii likes this.
  11. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I drain when warm, put in 9.5L (not Qts.) and never even bother to check it until before I drain the next time. I put all 10L in once and got a little oil burn on startup for the first 500 miles or so, must have been slightly overfilled.

hgoodwiniii likes this.
  12. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Ok, thanks; I will warm her up and change it again. Thanks everyone.

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Personally, I would buy my own oil and pay the service center to change it according to the factory recommended procedure.

pumping it out with some cheap plastic punp while following some YouTube video ? Fogget about it !

14. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Yes, any sludge will collect on the bottom. Pulling the plugs, all 3, at the bottom makes sense. If you change once per year and put on less than 1k miles, well, that is different... Suck it out the top and refill, then have it changed at the dealership every 5 years or so.

I have put on 15k miles in 9 months. I have done 3 oil changes now. All 3 are pull all three plugs and change the filter. I did make holes in the under tray to make life easier.

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    gravity results in sludge being found at the bottom of the oil pan. No way to clear this from the top. You may also find that it is difficult to pump oil when it is cold. And you may also find that the cheap plastic pump will quickly fail with warm oil.

Also good luck if the plastic tip of your oil pump gets stuck or disintegrated inside your car while puMoping.

and I think there is a nice magnetic plug which gets changed with the factory protocol. This Probably doesn’t happen when you do a pumping procedure.

the magnetic plug collects tiny bits of metal and prevents that metal from circulating and causing damage

unfortunately the YouTube video doesn’t discuss these issues

Solid State likes this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If your an engine guy then you'd change the oil when warm using all drain locations per the service manual. Maybe even tip front or rear to get the last bit out but that's just me.

Challenge likes this.
  17. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    I just replaced the oil pump seals on my 458 challenge car. Being I had the entire oil pump out the car drained of all possible oil. I just added 10qts and it is barely showing on the dipstick at 95c oil temp. I assume it needs another quart or so.

When taking out the oil pump a sold amount of oil still drained that would not have otherwise drained with a typical oil change. I imagine from the factory they may add 11-12qts.

Solid State likes this.
  18. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    With the oil pump removal it definitely took more oil than normal. It took 11 3/4 qt just to get over the first indicator on the dipstick. at 95c oil temp.

f355spider likes this.
  19. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

If I’m not mistaken the engine holds 10 liters which is less than 10 qts. Be careful when adding so as not to overfill.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    10liters is specifically 10.57 qts..

I cant imagine my dipstick is wrong.. I can understand the car requiring roughly 10qts on a typical change. But removing the oil pump I got a lot more oil out than a typical change. So I imagine that the actual capacity that the factory fills it from new is more than what an oil change would require. It kind of sucks knowing there is probably always a qt of oil that can't get drained when you change the oil. Regardless of how long you let the oil drip out.. I left the oil plugs out on my car for 2 days until I removed the oil pump. I easily got more than 1qt more when removing the pump.

Bryan S likes this.
  21. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

10 qts is 9.46 liters. Google qts to liters.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Here’s the 458 fluid spec sheet from the workshop manual. The manual calls for the magnetic drain plugs to be cleaned off, but not replaced as referenced above. Of note, the manual says to gradually fill as the amount drained can be different every time. I also would wonder are people doing the full check procedure or just simply checking the dipstick when cold?

As for sucking the oil out, there are some brands (Land Rover) where this is the procedure. I wouldn’t recommend it on a dry sump system.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MEGACHAD and f355spider like this.
  23. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Check oil when it's hot. Dry sump and oil expands when hot. Not as hard as the old air cooled 911 days.

Also suction from top is hard with a dry sump. Only proper solution is to do it from below removing the undertray.

hgoodwiniii, MEGACHAD and Need4Spd like this.
  24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You cannot use an oil extractor on a 458.
    My good friend Dave attempted this in 2019 as an experiment and proved it won't work:
    Oil Change made really easy | FerrariChat

I attended is attempt. He gave it a good try. :)

MEGACHAD and SeattleStew like this.
  25. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    funny how this thread has come full circle

SeattleStew and AD211 like this.