360 - Oil change, mesh filter not coming out, what am I doing wrong? | FerrariChat

360 Oil change, mesh filter not coming out, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in '360/430' started by RedNeck, May 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    trying to do my oil change the “right” way, but this damn filter won’t come out any farther than this, it just stops. What am I doing wrong?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

nothing wrong.

2 things.

1. there's a rubber o-ring surrounding the plastic tube(you can't see it, its somewhere inside), if it is damaged, it jams there and hell its going to be difficult to get out. Brutal force, or, take out the cover adjacent to it at the bottom and work from there ( push it out)

2. a few years ago, I intentionally bought 5 of these filters and i use a caliper to measure the diameter of the plastic part. Guess what, each one of these 5 has a different diameter, differences are more than 0.1mm. I forgot the exact number , but the ball park is a fraction of a millimeter, which is enough for a problem. So its a manufacturing issue.

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    The o ring is probably really tight. Tap with a hammer and chisel alternating sides.
    carefully not to break the plastic ears. It will pop out.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Thank you, I was able to tap it out, and was pleasantly surprised that it was actually pretty clean, although next go-round I will be replacing the O-rings as they seem to be just a little bit rough...

5. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    This is what mine looked like at my last oil change... Obviously replaced it but wondering how this happened?
    Nothing obvious is rubbing on it inside :-( I may have seen another post showing the same issue a while back.

Attached Files:

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Ouch, not sure what would have happened. Something like that looks like it may have been caused by install/uninstall. Either way, that adds $200 to an oil change. Sorry to see that.

7. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Mine was the same. I replaced it but haven't checked it since. Doesn't seem really necessary to check/clean that filter every time? I've let it go the last 2 years...cheers. I beleive that the filter rests a little on the point of rubbed damage. Pretty normal I believe.

8. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Yeah. Agree on the fact that this filter shouldn’t need attention every year, but again, the WSM calls for inspection, soooo. Anyhoo, most likely not critical. This seems to be here to “filter” big particules before it pumps the oil back in the engine before the actual oil filter.
    I can see the use if you ever “drop” stuff while filling the oil or checking the level. Other than that...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Um...this is the transaxle oil filter. Nothing to do with the engine or it's oil.

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This is 100% incorrect. The trans filter is on the other side. This is for engine oil.

Fotostars is correct.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Wow didn't know it existed. I will search for it next time. So 3 engine oil filters. This one, the screw on one and the mesh screen.

12. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I could be missing something. Does my 430 have this? I better have a look.

14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me