360 - Oil Change or not to Oil Change | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Oil Change or not to Oil Change

Discussion in '360/430' started by russomanno, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Lol...okay, and I understand your point, but your hyperbole gets in the way. No one is saying anything close to 20 year or 10 oil and filter changes. They are asking would it be reasonable to go two or possibly three years on a rarely driven car. And the EVIDENCE based research says "yes" that is not unreasonable. But ultimately up to the owner what they are comfortable with... after all it is their car. Oil is different than say brake fluid (hydroscopic) or coolant (where the additive package does degrade and get "used up" over time).

2. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Here is another reason this issue may come up: you find a car you like but several years ago it went 3 years and 2000 miles between annual service. Even if you plan to change the oil religiously every year, the previous owner may not have done so. How concerned should you be if you are considering buying the car? Particularly if the PPI is good and you like everything else about the car? I change my oil every year and I think the arguments above for that are good ones. But I think the counter-arguments above are good enough that I would not worry about buying a car that had missed an annual service for year or two, if the actual mileage involved was small.

3. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    What an absolutely great post. Wondering if a vehicle that has sat for a year and should get the oil changed. Guess a few factors are to consider, is the car in a climate controlled garage? The car hasn't been started in a year? Regardless, yes, change the oil. The only thing that makes engines run correctly is a proper oil change. Engine will last forever as long as you keep it's oil fresh.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If I had known this I would not have R&R'd that faulty ignition coil. All I needed was an oil change.

5. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Usually oil gets moisture when it sits, and moisture in the engine is bad.
    One test my mechanic taught me is to grab the oil dip stick when engine cold, touch the oil between your fingers and if it is viscous / sticky, then it is fine !! If it is like water... then you change !!
    If you don't do too many miles (<1000 per year) I guess you could change every 18 or 24 months oil !!