Oil Filters | FerrariChat

Oil Filters

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Bob Zambelli, Jan 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Misrepresents current production Fram 2804 oil filters. They have fixed their construction issues but no longer have an anti drain back valve.

TTR likes this.
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    im switching to baldwin or ufi

f355spider likes this.
  4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    When I owned a 308 and 328, all I used were Baldwin and UFI. Even way back in 1999 to 2004 we knew Fram was crap...so many complaints and examples of failed anti-drain back valves and collapsed filter media. I wonder if they were ever any good?

absostone likes this.
  5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    That fram video made me want to throw up. so baldwin is B253 for 2v 308s.? I don't know the UFI number thx

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, all 308/328 variants. Used to be only $9 or $10...I bought them at an industrial fishing supply store near my house. I live near the Alaska fishing fleet base in Seattle.

absostone likes this.
  7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    well im buying like 10 of them.

8. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I only use Baldwin 353’s in my 328. Readily available at a Grainger near you.

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yes thx I saw that

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The shelf life is four years. You must change your oil pretty often.

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    three times last summer!

12. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Very interesting and informative video!

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They were. At one time they were sort of the standard of the industry. The American parts industry in the last 20 or so years is a story of good companies being gobbled up by giants and in many cases going to offshore production or just plain old cut costs at any cost mentality. Since Allied Signal has had Fram its a mess. Very sad but a good look at American manufacturing in general. We used to make the best in the world and in some cases still do but not typically by multi national corporations. Outside of petroleum products I can't think of anything I buy to use on cars is US made. I go out of my way to buy US products but in most cases it is just impossible and we are not the better for it.

TTR and f355spider like this.
  14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    +1
    My views have reflected this for past 20-30 years already and not only regarding automotive related, but just about every kind of consumer and industrial products I or we as a society encounter or use daily.

And right or wrong, but I tend to put good part (half ?) of the blame for the "cut cost at any cost mentality" squarely on the consumers themselves.
    Just couple of days ago I witnessed one of the most disheartening & saddest example of this, but I can't bring myself to describe or recite details about it here/publically.
    Besides, the story doesn't have Ferrari content anyway. :rolleyes:

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree. I should have exempted the American racing industry suppliers. Most are still making top quality stuff. I get great custom made engine parts made in the USA.

We have people of that caliber. There just isn't a market for it in general goods.

16. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Bet you can go into most any Napa, Autozone, or other parts store & find a filter on the shelf for some oddball vehicle that has been sitting there 5, 10, or more years. I know I haven't purchased new filters for my BMW in almost a decade - have a few left from a big case I bought when I lived in Illinois, and I left Illinois for good in 2009. They seem to work just fine & the rubber o-rings are still nice & fresh (as they are in sealed baggies).

Rifledriver likes this.
  17. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Bill Budurski (former FCA tech adviser) turned my dad onto Baldwins about 30 years ago. They also cost less than the UFIs and I can always get them at my local grainger store if I call ahead.

absostone likes this.
  18. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    +1 Tools, clothes, furniture etc. I understand there are certain things that are meant to be disposable, but quality products last. Do it right or you are going to do it again.

19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    very true

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I enjoy paying more and having something quality that will last me my lifetime.

The general public is not in agreement. We are in the iPhone generation. It only needs to last until the next version comes out and the car only needs to last until the loan is paid off.

taz355 and JP365 like this.
  21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    true, but I hate when something is high priced and its actually garbage. which is why I don't buy things online. I want to see it and feel it

JP365 likes this.
  22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    And the average car is never paid off! Just move onto the next lease or when warranty runs out. New car sales are based on how much of a monthly payment you can afford. We will stick you in a lease or long term loan!

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And they will write car loans now half as long as a home loan. Bankers used to exercise some caution in dumb loan making but that is so passe.

24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Then you have the multi generational mortgage.
    I mean seriously!!
    As i said before you generally get what you pay for, but not all ways.

25. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Makes you wonder how long this is sustainable?