Oil leaks GT4 | FerrariChat

Oil leaks GT4

Discussion in '308/328' started by absostone, Sep 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Where to begin. Engine just underwent valves ,guides seals. Belts endless bearings and gaskets. 11k total. Drove 60 miles so far and I have seepage out of the side clutch cover and what looks like the cam seal or valve cover front bank. If I wipe it up it will be every where in a 4 mile drive. I spoke with the mechanic ( yes it's a reputable mech) I was told if it was something they did they would take care of it. What could it Be that is not installed correctly ? Is there something wrong with the gaskets or seals? I bought the parts the same places Everyone else does. How easy is it for the mech to say it was the parts and then charge me? I did my pans two yrs ago which also was redone by the mech on this service and I have seepage now. I didn't before. I also helicoiled the side cover when I did the pans and it was fine. The thing is I brought him the engine out of the car. I wanted to do it myself but was afraid of having leaks! What do u guys think?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This is a reason why you let the mechanic buy the parts, then he is responsible. The front bank leak is very likely the cam seals, which for a GT4 is very prone to leaking. As for the side clutch cover, better description of the leak or a picture is needed. Let me warn you now, having a GT4 that is NOT leaking is close to impossible.

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    #3 absostone, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    I bought all the gasket kits to save time and the mech said it was ok to do so. And I'm pretty sure it's the cam seal. I think the side cover leak is coming from the studs. Which last time I did it was fine. I'm just asking was it a assembly issue. The motor was in his lap. The other. Cam seals aren't leaking.

4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Is it leaking from the bottom right hand corner in this shot? There are 3 o-rings that stop oil from flowing out of the transmission and I also sealed this area with Loctite just in case.

Attached Files:

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    No its seeping from a stud or two on the drop gear side cover. . very pissed that I pulled the motor to have everything done right and now all this mess. yeah I know things happen but this place has been around forever.

6. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    On the bright side the drop gear cover is relatively simple to remove and reseal. There is no gasket, just sealant. I imagine these engines were not leak proof when new (as were all Italian engines of that era) so the likelihood of a leak or two on a fresh rebuild is probably 50:50. A friend of mine that owns a body shop remembers fixing corrosion and paint on GT4's when they were delivered new to the dealership.

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yes correct about the side cover. but I'm not gonna touch anything. The Mech said he should be able to get me in end of next week. I been waiting for at least 6 weeks already. yea I'm sure they leaked. but there are ways to assemble so they dont

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    [QUOTE="... yea I'm sure they leaked. but there are ways to assemble so they dont[/QUOTE]

No, they do always leak from somewhere. the side cover is one place that does not leak too much.

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Had to pay to have Leaks fixed around the time of the thread . Just finished the front suspension and steering rack, and had a alignment done and some great driving yesterday. In the afternoon I'm poking around under the car on my lift and the cam seals are leaking again. Total bs. kinda looks like the front bank seal is bent

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok guys. I've had enough. I cleaned up all the oil seepage . The other day I put oil dye in the engine and trans. After driving it for 20 miles I used a black light to verify where all the leaks are, and they were where I thought. Front and rear EX cams and at the smog pulley seal. and both Distributor gaskets. I took the caps off and both of the dizzys yesterday and they looked dry inside from what I can see. The trans vent is still pissing fluid, even after my Indy said I was stupid (in Sicilian) that I over filled the trans when I brought it in last Sep/Oct or so. I'm thinkn ok whatever dude , hard to over fill a trans with a fill level plug missing in order to get the correct level right?. So today I was thinking , I have a feeling that the engine oil is seeping into the Cambio. I leveled the car on my lift and sure enough one quart spilled out into my catch pan. I took a empty oil bottle and poured the bucket into the bottle. It was one quart. All the parts came in kits from AWItalian. Could anyone have the balls to say that every single part in $1300 bux worth of gaskets, seals ,head gaskets etc . say that every part of every kit be defective? no way no way. Tomorrow I will get it hot drive it a little and open the cambio and see if it is over full. Then I will drain the oil and measure what comes out cause I know I put 8.5 qs in last month. and I think ive gone under two hundred miles. I need to check my odo photos,. I had a call into him yesterday and he wasn't in, his guy said he would let him know I called. yeah ok. ill be calling him Monday to ask what he wants to do. But at the same time, do I really want them doing this again? I don't think the main guy did all the work, and I'm gonna ask him straight out, did you do this job or one of your guys? Total joke this is. This has been going on for three years with this car, and it hasn't been fun for the last year and a half. My back cant handle one more straw

11. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    Once I had a "reputable shop" do the first major service after I bought the car. At full speed a coolant hoseclamp gave in. Bye-bye engine. For 99% shure not tightened well. The shop offered a rebuild the engine, without charging labour. After that it ran like cr*p, overheated. Shop said it ran fine.. Took it to another shop with the message "fix it and you have a customer for life or make me an offer for it".

It turned out that the cooling system was not properly bled, the ignition wires were replaced by ones that would not interfere with the (not working) radio, the pistons were just-not the right size, and the bottom O-rings of the cilinder liners were not (!) renewed, so the first stuff that came out of the oil sump pan was coolant. I bit the bullet, drew my wallet and had the job redone. After I picked up the car I immediately felt I had a totally "new" car. After "running in" time it pulled like a maniac, never-ever overheated again, never had any issues again (though still no radio.. :) ). I fell in love with the car again and Forza Service in Oss the Netherlands has a customer for life.

What I' m trying to say: sometimes you are in the right but things just don't work out. if you can cut your losses/end your frustrations and take it somewhere else. There must be "Forza" 's in your area. After that you can enjoy your car to the fullest & you'll forget this episode easily. I took quite a financial hit back then. But calculated over the miles I made since then, oh well...could be worse.

absostone likes this.
  12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Image Unavailable, Please Login sorry that happened to you. The Forza will probably be me. What pissed me off is that I brought them a engine out of the car and it wasn't done right. And also I'm tired of the mess at my house the garage is clean and so is the car. And now I need to start over again, if they will not fix this

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #13 thorn, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Forget that this is a Ferrari. If you took your Toyota to a shop for $2000 of work, and the work was not completed correctly, the acceptable end result is not the shop saying "Well, we tried. Sorry it's still leaking."

There are any number of things that can be done incorrectly when changing out the seals.
    • Seals installed correctly?
    • Was gasket sealant used?
    • If it was, was it used appropriately?
    • Correct sealant for purpose?
    • Proper cure time allowed?
    • All bolts torqued exactly to spec?
    • All bolts torqued in correct order?
    If you're finding 1 qt engine oil leaking into the gear oil, the shop is seriously incompetent. (Did they forget to install the rear shaft seal?) They are obligated to fix this, for the $ you have already paid in parts and labor. Or, they owe you a refund in some amount.

absostone likes this.
  14. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You mentioned that the cam seals are leaking. They should have trimmed the gaskets so they do not touch the cam seal but stop short by about 1/16". Then a small dab of RTV is put on the gasket next to the seal. Also, sometimes when the cover is installed it can push the seal to the side and that can cause a leak. Image Unavailable, Please Login

absostone likes this.
  15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yea I agree. Not sure of the details of how they did everything they have been doing Ferrari stuff since the 80s. I know some things can happen but this is rediculouse

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thx Joe. I am aware of this I do see some silicone on the corners on mine.

17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So I drove the car 20 minutes just now. Drove onto the lift with the rear wheels on 2x4s to make the trans level. Cracked it open and out it came again!
    Yesterday I drained it till it stopped dropping. Now with the car in the same spot. More came out. Makes me sick. And annoying all the back and fourth that needs to be done.

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Joe you are obviously doing the job yourself. Did you pull the cams or the sprockets? Looks like you pulled the sprockets

19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Guys spoke to the shop early tody, my blood pressure is twice my oil pressure. Ill try and type something tomorrow

20. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Mike sorry to hear, hopefully it’s something minor that can be corrected.

21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Kevin. Thx.

22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok. I spoke to the shop on Monday. I told him about What came out of the trans. He said that's a lot of fluid and something must be wrong. I told him about the cam seals. He said the last time I brought it in it was one cam seal. That he fixed. With some silicone on the edge to the head. Yeah I know I know. I told him the other seals were leaking also and the dizzy gaskets. He said maybe they need to be snugged. I told him I already did. I asked are you gonna cover this. He said he wouldn't know till he looks at it. Ok when can I bring it in? He said call me in a week or two. Seriously.

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    somewhere up this thread, I did mention that it is virtually impossible to stop a GT4 from all of its oil leaks. Are you looking for perfection? If so, this is not the car. The normal leaks are;

cam seals at the pulley
    main crank shaft seal
    cam drive seals
    oil pans
    rear main seal
    distributor shaft seals and orings
    valve cover gasket at the corners
    oil breather at the top of the gear box
    shift shaft seals to the front and to the gear box
    some leak at the engine mounts

You can stop some of it but not all, unless you don't drive it at all.

Best of luck.

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Well. in 17 yrs of ownership I only had a cam seal leak 2 weeks before I pulled the motor. I fixed my pans in 2015 with statoseal washers and new gaskets. Never had a vent issue. The cam drive seals and balancer seal had seepage. But yes I lived with pan stud drips for a long time. Either way the shift shaft o ring has a issue

25. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I have a bunch of the x profile o-rings if you want some. It is really hard to install the shaft without nicking an o-ring. I bought a couple from Verrell and then ended up buying a bag of 100. Used a few before we got it done.

absostone likes this.