Oil Level warning light won't go out | FerrariChat

Oil Level warning light won't go out

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dan Harris, Jun 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan Harris

Dan Harris Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harris
    Hello All,

I let the oil level in my 2010 California get a bit low, and the oil level light came on. I've topped the car back up to the correct level, but after several days and maybe ten starts, the light is still on. Is this normal?

I've posted this in the California/Portofino forum, but I realize this is the better choice--apologies for the dual posting.

Thanks!

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There is an oil level sensor that is mounted inside the oil pan. Perhaps there is air trapped in it, or the float inside is stuck. Have you gotten the oil up to temperature: 10-20 miles of driving at freeway speeds? If so, you might try tapping on the bottom of the oil pan with a rubber mallet.

tomc likes this.
  3. Dan Harris

Dan Harris Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harris
    That's great, thanks so much! I wasn't sure how the oil sensor worked. I'll set to the oil pan with a 10-pound sledge.

jk

Maybe a rubber mallet. ;)

4. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    The oil level sensor is an algorithm it is not an on and off program in the cluster to eliminate false illumination due to sloshing of the oil. Once you have corrected the oil level it will take some driving to extinguish the light.
    The drive cycle must meet some specific parameters for it to confirm the oil level. I am surprised with the number of drives it has not turned off if the oil is truly at the correct level warm. This is a pretty common complaint with the system.

5. Dan Harris

Dan Harris Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel Harris
    Okay, thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully it will get itself straightened out.