Oil pan / gasket | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Oil pan / gasket

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Sammi, Feb 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Good news for her if its a dry sump. Wonder why the salesman told me the Roma is wet sump. I would obviously prefer a dry sump motor. Doesn't make sense for Ferrari to make a significant change to what would otherwise be the same motor. Do you know for sure the Roma is wet sump? I hope so, that would be good news.

2. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Guess it depends what year it is. Original Cali was wet sump and then went to dry sump in 2015 with the Cali T to lower the motor to make room for the turbo. With the amount of oil in the photo it is probably a pre- 2015 Cali.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/should-the-engine-be-warmed-up-in-the-morning.381317/
    https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/36382/2015-ferrari-california-t-the-one-to-dream-about/

I would like to definitively know what the Roma is...wet or dry sump. My guess is its a dry sump.

RamsHmb likes this.
  3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    It looks like her car is a 2013,which makes it a California 30. Unfortunately,that makes it a wet sump.

RamsHmb and Andrew Pour like this.
  4. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Sammi: If your wet-sump engine was indeed running for five minutes without oil,you should have the engine checked out before spending money on other repairs. The good news is that the synthetic oil may well have prevented any engine damage.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    It's a positive that it was only idling. Here's hoping it's okay.

Aside from potential engine damage, I wonder if the repairs would be far more reasonable at a body shop that is familiar with Ferraris -- the labor rate is almost certainly a lot less and they will be used to dealing with damage like that, and more inclined to repair instead of just ordering new parts at list prices.

I really don't see how this is not an insurance issue, and a comprehensive one at that -- there was no collision with another vehicle, it was road debris.

6. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Is it a collision or comprehensive claim?
    "Whether a road hazard accident will fall under your collision or comprehensive coverage depends upon how the incident occurred.

If you hit a fallen tree or big rock in the road, then it’s a collision insurance claim because you collided with the object. Instead, if the tree fell on your vehicle or a boulder rolled onto the hood of your vehicle, then most auto insurers would find the accident to be a comprehensive insurance claim.

Whatever the damage, if the cost of repairs is minimal, it might not be worth filing a claim with your auto insurance provider, either because it doesn’t reach your deductible amount or is barely above it."

7. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Good catch by you and gw32. Sounds like wet and agree that she should check before spending the money. Also, at some point you are better to file for insurance and take the hit on accident depreciation/ resale. This isn’t a new 400k 812. If it’s 20k to fix and the car is worth 100 to 120k how much depreciation will you really get. I know a Ferrari w accident history is bad but 20% hit or more? Don’t know the answer there

8. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I would say that the first priority is to evaluate the engine. Install a new pan (or possibly patch the damaged one temporarily),put in oil,and see how it sounds. If it were my engine,I would want to remove the valve covers and look for signs of oil starvation. Given what I have read for decades about good synthetic oils,the engine is probably fine. Then you can move on to having your insurance company or personal attorney press a claim.

SLViper1 likes this.
  9. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    If the car has substantial frame damage (as it appears from the photos), best outcome would be that the motor is also damaged and the total cost to fix the frame damage and motor plus 'depreciated value' due to stigma associated with a damaged/repaired car is considerable. It might be possible to get the insurance company to considered it a "total loss". That way she gets a check for the cars pre-accident value, less the deductible. There was an interesting article on this subject in Sports Car Market, Legal Files a couple of months ago. The key is getting the insurance company to accept the diminished value of a car that was damaged and repaired due to loss of interest from most prospective buyers. Specialty insures like Haggerty understand this concept and will act accordingly. Lots of assumptions in this hypotheses but worth keeping in mind if the repair bill estimate is substantial. If so, it might be worthwhile to engage an attorney knowledgably with auto insurance claims.
    My sympathies to the OP, as in any event this is going to be a major hassle.

Sammi likes this.
  10. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    gw32: I sure hope you are wrong about the frame!

Sammi: Keep us posted.

11. robmike

robmike Rookie

Mar 22, 2011
  12. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Hey guys!

Sorry for the delay in response regarding this matter. I’ve been dealing with the insurance company, and my mechanic all while trying to purchase a daily driver from out of state, overwhelming to say the least!

Anyway, the insurance company has deemed the vehicle a total loss with damages around ~$81,000. They have offered me a fair ACV price or the ability to take the salvage value and do repairs myself.

My mechanic has assured me that the damages are not $81k, and the adjuster has even agreed that they must do things by the book even if the vehicle can be repaired for substantially less ($8k). As one user mentioned - there is frame damage, the subframe can be replaced at a fair cost, and the oil pan and gasket as well. This would get the vehicle road ready.

I’m uncertain if I’d want to keep this vehicle and repair it myself and put the payoff towards another vehicle. (A second toy if you will)

Absolutely heartbroken by the whole situation seeing as I’ve only had her about 7 months, and most of the times she’s been in the shop getting mods .

Whatever route i decide to go, now I’m also undecided on whether I want to keep this with salvage title and buy a mclaren 570s. Or, just buy a new model and go for the Cali T.

Decisions, decisions..

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If you can repair for it $8k and they will pay you $81k, that is hard to resist. As long as you realize you'll pretty much be married to it, a Ferrari is a challenge to sell with a ding on the Carfax, let alone a totaled and repaired car.

If you mean they can repair it for $8k less than the offered payoff, run away from the car.

I think you would be very happy in a California T.

Sammi likes this.
  14. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sammi, you have to ask yourself if you'll feel uneasy every time you get in the car. Also, if you repair it and put it up for sale at a later date, how much of a hit will you take on the price? I assume you'd disclose such a major repair, and that alone might scare away potential buyers. Cali T's from what I've read here are wonderful cars, and it seems there are plenty on the market, so you may find a good deal. We'd all love it if you stayed in the Ferrari family!:)

Sammi likes this.
  15. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    They offered me $74k on the salvage, and my mechanic can get it road ready for $8k.
    But yes, I would have a hard time selling this vehicle with that salvage title.

vjd3 likes this.
  16. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    I’ve heard that as well, and I believe the salvage would be listed on the title. My audio technician actually expressed interest in purchasing it and fixing it up for his shop to rent out. But there are no guarantees there either.

17. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Sorry to hear the damage was so extensive but it looked that way from the photos. I'd take the money and move on to your next automotive adventure. I'd say Cali T or Portofino over 570's.

SLViper1, Sammi and alex like this.
  18. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Get a California T. They are model years 2015-2018. Many were sold,so many are on the market at bargain prices compared to new. If you liked your California 30,you will like a T even more. Best of all would be a T with the optional performance package called Handling Speciale.

Sammi and alex like this.
  19. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I would be sorry to hear of that happening to any car, but it is really heartbreaking when it is a special car. We are ready for Pothole City in the Midwest in the wake of a cold, snowy winter. I shudder to think of the damage one pothole could cause!:eek:

Sammi likes this.
  20. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    After going to see a 570s Spider at a local dealership, I’m having a hard time trying to convince myself of the California T now, though they never were comparable cars, that 570s just looks so mean.

21. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    Plenty of damage I am certain, lowering my Cali made it look boss, but in the end that was contributing to the demise of her

22. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Ultimately what matters is what most stirs your passions for the amount of money that you want to spend. I wouldn't trade my (modified) Portofino for anything else from Ferrari or any other company. Buy what turns you on.

Sammi likes this.