Oil Pan Removal - 355 | FerrariChat

Oil Pan Removal - 355

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mr Dobermann, May 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    How much trouble is it to remove the oil pan off the engine, and is this doable without any big difficulties when engine is in place in the car? The car is a 355 GTB -95, 6-speed.

How is it attached towards the gearbox? Anything to watch out for when taking it off?

The owner of this car came to me and was worried, because it sprayed oil all over the place when driving, and when standing still it dripped quite a lot of oil... When i checked it thoroughly, i found 2 cracks/wholes in the right corner of the Oil-pan, just next to the alternator-bracket. The previous owner had GLUED 2 small aluminiumpieces on the oil pan to stop it from spraying oil, then covered the glued parts with some kind of silicone ****... I need to take the oil-pan off and get it to a welder.

Advice?

Thanks, Kimmo. :)

2. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Easy enough to do. Just watch out for the rear o-ring type gasket at the trans. don't tear it.

Remove the crossmember, alt and then the pan.

3. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    After getting the pan repaired, I think it's best to insure the gasket surface of the pan is still flat and true, since it may have warped some during repair. May need to take it to a machinist to get this done. Assuming the 355 pan is basically the same as my 348, there is no pan gasket, so I used Loctite 518, and have NO leaks. I didn't have an O-ring at the transaxle/pan vertical interface, and someone had successfully used RTV. I used 518 there also.

4. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    #4 Mr Dobermann, May 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok, thank you.

How about these 2 screws? Anything to worry about? Nr 12 in the picture, marked with a red circle.

Regards, Kimmo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    #5 FandLcars, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
    No problems with #12 or #6 on my 348. I did have my transaxle drained at the time. Not sure how much leakage I'd have from transaxle if it was full. Check Ricambi's website for 355 drawings, and there should be a link to the 355 work shop manual. Refer to it for procedure on steps to remove the oil pan.

6. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    Thank you very much Rick.

Kimmo/Sweden.

7. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    Rick, my transaxle was not drained at the time you helped me out with mine and there was no leakage......use care not to tear that rubber seal/gasket........I also used Ricks suggestion for a sealant with no leaks to date on mine either.

good luck..

8. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Thanks - I couldn't remember enough detail to know if it would have leaked, but glad to hear that it's not an issue.