Oil question 2003 360 | FerrariChat

Oil question 2003 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by aseweepay, May 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    So, yesterday after a quick 20 mile drive I decided to check my engine oil level. Car was on level ground, up to temperature and engine was running. Upon opening the reservoir, I was greeted by what you see in the pic, the oil level all the way towards the top of the reservoir, the level climbing then falling slightly. It looks like it’s foaming severely. Today, a fellow 360 owner buddy of mine came over to take a look at what was going on. There is no white smoke or smoke of any kind upon start-up, when the oil temp is around 140 degrees, the oil has very few bubbles on the dipstick, and is showing between the high-low lines. When the oil gets around 160 degrees it does exactly what you see in the pic, fills up the resovoir and gets very “foamy.” I won’t be driving the car anymore until I change the oil, but any thoughts on what could be causing this ? It must have been overfilled or perhaps whoever changed the oil last used *crap* oil ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Is the oil milky when cold ..if it is ..it may be the heat exchanger

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    Thanks for the reply Dominick....it’s not milky that we noticed....there isn’t any oil on the dipstick when cold, then as the temp increases it works it’s way up....the oil looks normal around 140 degrees and foamy and all the way up the dipstick at around 160 degrees or so.
    The other thing I forgot to mentions is that every time I shut the car off, there is a fluid whooshing sound that lasts from 10 to 30 seconds or so. My buddy with a 360 said he has never heard that when shutting his car off..... weird.....which is why I’m posting here...

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like Shell oil to me. There is another thread here asking the which oil question.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Tell us a little more to help ..it is always a challenge not seeing the car

How long have you had the car

When did this start ..

Did you add oil before this started or have an oil change done before this started

Did you check Antifreeze ..does it look normal

These a few questions that can help the folks on here help you

Do you know what brand of oil is in there ?

160 seems low to see any forming imho

RossoC360 likes this.
  6. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Change the oil and filter and use red line and go from there

Skidkid likes this.
  7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If you choose to go that route ..have oil sent out to a place like Blackstone to see if there was any issues

cpep likes this.
  8. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Using Blackstone is very good advice. They give a very useful breakdown of what is going on in your engine. I used them for my last car and will definitely use them for this one.

9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Yes....had my car for 6 yrs....done my oil myself everytime....foaming concerns me. Never seen that pic before...change to redline 5w40 and see if you might be overfilled from last time. I have never seen that kind of foam...

10. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    Thanks for the replies....

11. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I've never seen my oil get up the oil tube quite that much, even if I rev it like nuts and drive it until the needle hits north pole! Usually when it hits 10 o'clock, I check the temps, and this helps it be in the right mark. As long as I drive more or less gently by the time it hits that temp notch, I can get a reading without it being too frothy.

Other discussions here in this section of the forum have mentioned that the right type of oil 'should' froth, as some don't. The reasoning is that it helps it spread out easier.

Don't forget, the oil is measured from a spot where oil has to be 'sucked' into the basin for measurement (which is why you see nothing with the engine cold), and the oil must be at a certain temperature due to it expanding a fair bit. If it expands too much, it's tougher to read, especially if you floor the pedal and make the engine quite agitated (based on my experience... as it constitutes to the oil getting frothier and harder to read... i.e. don't wait too long to take a reading).

Perhaps the oil you're using is just a frothier type compared to what's usual? Do you know what marque it might be?

12. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I didn't think the engine oil used engine coolant to cool it. I thought that was only the trans oil? I thought the engine oil was air cooled through it's radiator.

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    You are absolutely right...there was another thread about gear oil and my mind was still on there ..but the concept of antifreeze getting in the oil can still applies ..just from the head gasket etc

I would check thru an oil analysis if any antifreeze is in there

14. airbusdrvr

airbusdrvr Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    What would fail on a heat exchanger to cause foaming or milky oil?

15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    As mentioned by redtaxi I was thinking gear oil not motor oil when I put that response in ....in the gearbox, the oil goes thru a heat exchanger that has tubes that carries antifreeze. As the antifreeze passes thru it cools the oil around it. If one of the tubes corrode then antifreeze is forced into the gear oil ..hence giving a milky shake look to oil

There is another thread on that issue someone had here recently

The motor oil does not have this type of heat exchanger ..so I was wrong when I mentioned that but the concept of Antifreeze getting into oil can still be there from blown head gaskets , cylinder liner etc ...so if your oil looks like a milkshake it could be that ...if when cold it look like normal oil it probably isn't. I would send the oil out regardless to see what the analysis says. Some of the other questions that myself and others asked may point to other areas..like overfilling, a brand know for foaming etc

Look back at my questions and if you can answer them..it will help all of us help you better

I apologise for my brain lapse - thinking about the gear box when you were talking about motor oil

16. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West

Thanks for the reply, The last record I have of an oil change they used Motul 8100 xcell 5W40 Synthetic. I’ve contacted the last two shops that worked on the car and no one has responded. I’ll be ordering an oil change kit and be doing it myself from here-on-out. The dealer I bought it from was supposed to have done it for me before delivering the car......but......

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The foaming tells me the car was over filled with oil. The 360 takes about 9.5 liters..sometimes less, someimes more. I drain, change the filter and fill with 8.5 liters and top-up from there once warm.

18. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Good advise.

19. YorkieMark

YorkieMark Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark Lewis
    I have this exact problem with my 360. The foaming oil gets so high up that it gets drawn back in to the air intakes and the car blows smoke. One garage says it has been overfilled, the garage that did the service says it hasn't. They put Shell 10w/60 in which is technically the wrong oil and I have asked them to change it back, but they still think air is being drawn in somewhere to make it foam and bubble this much. They did change the cam cover gaskets recently so that might be relevant.

Any other thoughts?

20. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    You might be over thinking this. Why not draw out a half quart of oil and see what happens. Draw oil out until you get the proper level. I overfilled once and had the same thing happen on restart after a 20 minute drive. It was proper wt Motul but same extreme foaming and blue smoke. Smoke cleared and drove it home. No problems since.

21. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I use shell's 5w40 and it bubbles on the stick, it never reaches the top like in your picture. It was extremely bubbly on the stick when the oil level was maybe 1" above the max line. But as Ital suggested, drain out the oil and fill as needed for proper level. Or you can do an oil change.

22. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    A turkey baster can be used to draw/suck oil out the oil level/aerator cannister.

23. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you go drive the car, then stop and check the oil *immediately*, it's going to do this. You have to wait a minute or two. The exact same thing happened to me. I freaked out, called my mechanic and got schooled.

John_K_348 likes this.
  24. YorkieMark

YorkieMark Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark Lewis
    So, oil out and replaced with 5w40 to min level on dipstick and It is still foaming up when left to idle and bubbling over in to the air intakes! This is not sounding good as I was hoping it was simply overfilled, but it looks more serious than that. I can't find any other reports of things causing this degree of aeration. Any body else come across another cause?
    Thanks.

25. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    That is because min level on dipstick when filling is still too much oil.
    After an oil change with new oil, there is no level showing on the dipstick.
    After 10mins of running it goes to mid between the two marks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

KC360 FL and obertRo like this.