Old Alpine Alarm | FerrariChat

Old Alpine Alarm

Discussion in '308/328' started by redqv, Jul 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    When I got my '85 GTS 6 years ago it was pretty much unmolested, which of course has all changed over the years. I've done the usual stuff, bumper tuck, new suspension, LED gauge lights but what has really been bugging me is an alarm control unit mounted right below the center A/C register. I have never used the alarm, and it probably doesn't even work. So I'm going to rip it out, but I am not sure what all it's wired to. So my question is has anyone else ever dismantled an Alpine Mobile Alarm 8100? Is there a "brain" module somewhere, and if so, where might it be mounted? I've looked most everywhere. The Alpine web site that boasts wire diagrams just laughs at me - way too old. (Just like me.) Any help would be appreciated.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Any alarm should have a brain box somewhere. There are not a lot of hiding places on a 308 so the first thing you will want to do is try and find the wires that don't quite look like the others and trace them. A few places to look would be under the passenger side foot rest (which requires the carpet to be pulled back and the access panel removed), in the front trunk near the master cylinder/brake booster (requires removal of the front plastic covering in that area), or lastly somewhere around the battery under where the spare tire would go. There is some space there. Not a lot of space under the dash and not too many other hiding spots in the car. Good luck with your search and be sure to post your findings.

3. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    Thank you. I’ve looked in some of those places but not the passenger foot rest. The installation was done well, so it’s hidden pretty well. The search continues.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've managed to find a diagram for an Alpine 8040 alarm system... It's extensive. You have my sympathies.

5. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    Project Aborted! For now anyway. Who knew alarm systems were so complicated. This is a winter project, when there is 4 feet of snow on the ground and you can't go anywhere. I found most of the alarm components under the passenger foot rest - thank you Nuvolari - and a lot of other sound system stuff like an amplifier thing and a rats nest of wires. So without a wire diagram showing the alarm components and what was cut and spliced on the original car wiring it's going to be long winter. The good new is that I disconnected the door buzzer which has also been on my list.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Smart move. Some jobs are best left alone until the driving season is over.