Old Car Legislation | FerrariChat

Old Car Legislation

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by onboost, Aug 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Thought some of you Cali guys would be interested in this information that will effect those of you with older cars. This was sent to me by one of my buds who runs early 911s in SoCal.

California Emissions Exemption Repeal Bill Will Be Considered by
    Senate Appropriations Committee

As you are aware, the California Assembly and now the Senate Transportation Committee have passed A.B. 2683, the legislation that would repeal the state's current rolling emissions-test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older. A wide array of business and environmental interests aggressively support this bill. The measure would repeal the current pro-hobbyist exemption and replace it with a law requiring the permanent testing of all 1976 and newer model vehicles. The Senate Appropriations Committee has re-scheduled the hearing on this bill from today, Monday, August 2 to Wednesday, August 4. If the Appropriations Committee passes this bill, the entire Senate likely will approve it as well and send it onto the Governor for his signature. Make no mistake, our backs are against the wall!

Time is of the essence. PLEASE CALL Members of the Senate Appropriations Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to A.B. 2683.
    Even if you have called or e-mailed previously,
    it is critical that you make your feelings known once again!
    • Existing law in California exempts all vehicles 30 years old and older from emissions testing.

• California's current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 30 years old and older on vehicle emissions and air quality.

• Vehicles 30 years old and older constitute a very small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

• Antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (a fraction of the miles each year as a new vehicle).

• Legislators, regulators and stationary source polluters are feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes!

California Senate Appropriations Committee

Senator Dede Alpert (Chair)
    (916) 445-3952

Senator Jim Battin (Vice-Chair)
    (916) 445-5581
    Senator Samuel Aanestad
    (916) 445-3353

Senator Roy Ashburn
    (916) 445-5405

Senator Debra Bowen
    (916) 445-5953

Senator John Burton
    (916) 445-1412

Senator Martha Escutia
    (916) 327-8315

Senator Ross Johnson
    (916) 445-4961

Senator Betty Karnette
    (916) 445-6447
    Senator Michael Machado
    (916) 445-2407

Senator Kevin Murray
    (916) 445-8800

Senator Charles Poochigian
    (916) 445-9600

Senator Jackie Speier
    (916) 445-0503

2. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Yes,
    I fought to have the original law passed, everyone MUST call and write their representatives, this is not about smog its about money. I wrote the govenator also but recieved no response. jay leno recently talked about it on his show, evetyone need to act now. my car is exempt but I will still fight!! diesels, aircraft, boats and motorcyles are not even tested!!