Old Farts and Corvettes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Old Farts and Corvettes

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by cosmicdingo, Jul 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#26 REMIX, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    God, I love mine. Bought it as a daily driver / beater car. I drive it everywhere, rain or shine. I even drive it on gravel roads, down alleys, etc.

It's an auto, too!

RMX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That is a great looking car.

Didn't mean to come off as snob, should have qualified my statement more: At this point in life, I'd rather spend the money on a Ferrari(s) than a Vette.

I've had '69 big-block roadster and a '63 split window coupe, kinda been there, done that, even though a '65 or '66 roadster still gets my attention

3. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#28 REMIX, Jul 31, 2009
    As much as I love 69 BB cars, if I only had a spare $52k, this would suffice...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-for-sale-wanted/2358302-1971-corvette-conv-454-w-air-conditioning.html

RMX

4. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #29 climb, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    I've set up booths many times for my company at Bloomington gold and Corvettes at Carlisle etc.

I've got no axe to grind with the vette guys but i do like to make fun of the chains and bad hair pieces that come with some of the Corvette crowd. One guy came to every show i went to for a few years wearing the same pair of shortened red shorts. He had a bad toupee, fake tan and gold chains galore. Lots of Tommy Bahama shirts and straw hats attached to big gutted guys suckin' on a big stogie too. Not bad people just a little tasteless and fun to watch. The best are the guys with the black satin jackets with the collar tuned up..

Middle sixties vettes are beautiful breathtaking beast IMO

Goodtimes.

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My '69 was dark green/tan, otherwise much the same car in appearance.

Guy who bought it from me in summer '99 restored it to similar condition.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dingo- Sounds like the cirriculum has gone downhill since I went to Clemson in the 1960s. Learned how to drive in a 1961 Corvette, have had 10 since. The latest ones are world class except for the interiors. No rattles, go like stink, corner extremely well as long as the road is not too rough. Not Ferraris, but great cars. People who badmouth Corvettes on Ferrari sites are usually ill-informed snobs who are not real car enthusiasts. Gets old. Do not have one now, last was an 08 C6 Z06, but not because they or their drivers are worthy of disdain. Eventually everybody gets older. Hopefully you will be treated with more respect when you are older than you show people now. Just takes some of us longer to grow up, I guess.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Not to side track, but your description fits a BMW 8-series owner that I've seen last year. I still can't figure out if his "date" was or still is a man. Back on track, a sub-contractor I deal with owns a very nice '68 427 tri-power in (my best description) 'Meadow Green".

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Papa- British Green Metallic in 1968 if still original color.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. ST&A

ST&A Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Lake Stevens
    Full Name:
    Sid Thayer
    #34 ST&A, Aug 1, 2009
  10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I have had a number of Vette's......but as I was between 24 and 27 when I did. Not exactly an old fart........

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #36 WILLIAM H, Aug 1, 2009
    Um, Yeah... how about, No

You want to race against my Vette ? I dont wear chains in my Vette, Nomex instead

12. ST&A

ST&A Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Lake Stevens
    Full Name:
    Sid Thayer
    William you do have one bad ass vette, if i ever get down your way i would love to see it in person.

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    To all you young guys making comments on this thread, guess what, you're gonna get (and I hope you are all lucky enough to live to a ripe old age) old too. I am neither fat or bald, but I am in my 50's and I love cars just as much as I did when I was a teenager. I used to be quite a good driver (did some racing in my 20's), and I am still not bad, but I know my reflexes are not what they used to be. I drive a supercharged 997, and a RWD Gallardo, and I do not own a Gold Chain (I did have one in the mid 70's), the stereotypes do get old. Though I must be getting older, I am looking at getting a DBS.

14. AFRomulus

AFRomulus Rookie

Dec 29, 2008
    Cosmic,

I can't believe you see many corvettes in Clemson, anyhow.. How many 20s or 30s aged guys live there anyways?

(I graduated a few years ago)

I agree with another poster.. that corvette stigma is long gone. I hear alot of people try to say the corvette is now like 80s IROC Camaros.. somewhat of a white trash car. My opinion? They are the same guys who rag on vettes for having pushrods and "leaf springs". I say... whatever :D It's still a fantastic car.

15. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    now that is some funny ****!

16. corvetteman39

corvetteman39 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    Bartlesville, OK
    Full Name:
    Robert Bean
    Why thank you, glad I made someone laugh instead of dive bombing a Vette owner.....

17. cosmicdingo

cosmicdingo Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Clemson SC
    Full Name:
    E Evans
    Just saw three Vettes in three days, all driven by men in the same age group. Meant no insult to anyone, as the topic was raised at least partly in jest. Wish I could afford one.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nice recovery. Hope you can afford a Ferrari some day, too.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

19. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    It's not a stigma, it's reality. Every Corvette I see is driven by a guy 40+.

I saw an S2000 with a "Corvettes are for senior citizens" decal on his rear diffuser and I laughed because it's so true.

20. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #45 yzee, Aug 15, 2009
    I went to this Corvette show for my friend who owns the restaurant in the background. He wanted pics of events in the street for the bar. Over 350 and almost all were C5 or C6's with only about 3 old significant models. Nature of the club involved maybe. But most were 50+ guys and I don't mean to stereotype. It's just demographics. Ageing boomers with some cash to have some fun. Some bought Harleys, some bought Vettes.

21. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    The S2000 sticker should have said "Torque is for men".

22. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Couldn't this just as easily be "old farts and Ferraris?" Young people usually don't have the cash that a Ferrari or Corvette requires.

23. corvetteman39

corvetteman39 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    Bartlesville, OK
    Full Name:
    Robert Bean

That's a really good pic of that line of Vettes, perfect angle.

24. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thank you. The 4 best colors of new Vettes repeating

25. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Many an hour in a '65 396ci black coupe. Beautiful breathtaking beast hardly describes it.