Old School Porsche Clutch Feel? 1987 911 Turbo | FerrariChat

Old School Porsche Clutch Feel? 1987 911 Turbo

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Doc_K, Sep 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Hey all. I figured I would ask for some insight because I'm a younger guy who's driven a lot of manual cars but I'm not the most experienced person. I went to Cars and Coffee this morning and a friend of mine let me take his 1987 911 Turbo for a ride. I embarrassingly smoked the clutch. Before I go into detail, let me explain. I've owned a Manual 1984 BMW 533i, A manual E46 M3, a manual Subaru and driven a few other "stick" sports cars and I've been pretty proud of my shifts and downshifts and handling of said cars and I've never once smoked a clutch. Although my experience with the classics is fairly limited, I had what I thought was a pretty good understanding of how to drive a manual. Today, I tried taking off, feathered the throttle, let the clutch out slightly and it didn't feel like it was in gear at all. I smoked the clutch and stalled twice and after another attempt, I finally took off. The car didn't ease forward when it finally did grab the clutch like most cars do. It felt like it really took off and I wasn't even giving it that much throttle or letting the clutch go much. Maybe it's a Porsche thing that I would have to get used to or maybe it was the car? Any other car I've driven I can REALLY feel when the clutch is grabbing and I don't believe my buddy had a slipping clutch. With the hopes of one day owning a classic Porsche, is this something I'd have to get used to or should I be educated on how to properly drive a Porsche. My friend was okay and not upset and there was no damage done as he was able to drive away just fine. I feel kind of melancholy and embarrassed about the whole thing.

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    IMHO, a Porsche clutch is relatively simple to operate. There is no magic touch to driving it. I've had 3 930s, a 964 turbo and a 996 turbo. Most were modded, but none would "really take off" by modulating the clutch due to the low compression ratio. However, if the car was just driven, and you start it up about 10 minutes later, the idle may be at a higher speed.

Doc_K likes this.
  3. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    Sorry, take-off wasn't exactly the best explanation. It seemed really fast with low throttle once it was in gear and he had driven it ten minutes before.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Those early turbos were widow makers. Feathering is not in their DNA. Engage and go!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds and Doc_K like this.
  5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    On a cold start, it should idle at 1k. On a hot start like I described, it would idle closer to 2k. Is that what happened to you?

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have an '87 911 and I find the clutch to be tricky at first. It's a bit soft with a high and narrow engagement.

Doc_K, Texas Forever and of2worlds like this.
  7. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Its a little-bity 225mm clutch disk, with a rear engine platform, and strong engine power. Additionally off the line traction in a 911 turbo is a strong suit ~ keeping in mind that it was not designed to drag-race. The clutch in that scenario is the weakest link.

This is the exact reason why I quit letting people drive mine.

Secondly there is damage done. I tell customers that you only get to smoke a 911/911 turbo clutch once or twice. They do not respond well to it.