Old School Skateboard Collecting | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Old School Skateboard Collecting

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ag512bbi, Aug 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    I skated for years and years and years, I could heel flip and aullie garabge can's,picnic tables and as soon as I learned to kick flip I quit a week or two later!

I actually borrowed a friends deck to ride around in my underground garage and found a pretty good condition one laying in the bushes at the side of my building yesterday!

Damn expensive they were back then! Now you can buy blank decks for $40 and it didn't matter if broke it.

2. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    All I've got left are 7 or 8 riders (Powell Mountain, Powell Hot Rod, Lib Tech Pool Cue, Sector 9 46" longboard, Tosh Townend's first board from element, one of Bam's decks,) and about a dozen or so Santa Cruz "Cruz Missile Concave" blank decks in Bod Boyle and Rob Roskopp shapes. These were the last big (10 inches wide! OMG!), fish-shaped boards before the capsule shape took over. I bought a bunch of them back in the day and the 10 or 12 I have left are the last...

My current skate is one of the Boyles on Indy 169's with Schmidt Stix Sawblades wheels...

3. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #28 Ducman491, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    Wow that is a cool collection. I used to have a bunch of those decks. The Gator, Vallely, most of the Cab's, Roskopp face, and my favorite was the Weilander. Skated them hard and broke them all. I kept them for many years but they were all unrecognizable because I didn't use rail sliders. Finally had a very big fire with about 50 decks one night.

That Silver Weilander was the color I had, cool board. I had a few of the Alva's as well. Crazy concave on those back then. Had the Kendall and the Jesse too. Good times!!!!!

4. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Who was the H-street guy that could Ollie over a mountain. Black guy with dreads if I remember correctly.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

This interesting stuff but "old school" to me was a steel rollerskate bolted to a piece of plywood.

6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    That's primitave to me! :) You guys show some pics. Would love to see the boards.

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Could it be Steve Steadham?

8. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #33 SDChris, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    Ron Allen

Bod Boyle or Tom...

9. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ron Allen was it! I remembered just as I clicked to open the thread again. I may still have a copy of the H Street video in the garage.

I'll never forget my first board, Vision Hippie Stick with Gullwing trucks and OJ 2 wheels.

Had a G&S foam core board at one time too. Super light but was made for ramps and I mainly street skated. Broke that one quick.

10. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Well...

:D

11. L8Apex

L8Apex Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    So. CA
    #36 L8Apex, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
    Sweet collection! I had 6 of those at one point in time. My all time favorites were the Sims Lester Kasi paint splat in green, Hosoi hammerhead and my white JFA (I still have a rare JFA album in vinyl). Tried Thunder Trucks for awhile but always went back to Indy.

I have a Wounded Knee Board now used mostly for pools.

12. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Neat.

I still have my "Lonnie Tufts Special" Sims board, with Tracker trucks, Comp II wheels and (ooh) German racing bearings.

I'm 45, and do admit to getting the board out once a year or so fir some very conservative riding.

13. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #38 350HPMondial, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

15. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #40 SDChris, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    Right on... I remember that Santa Cruz Slasher foam board. What year was that G&S foam board?

Apex..Ya I saw that after I posted it but to late to edit. :D

I currently skate a Toy Machine Ed Templton...With Tensors, and some kind of wheels..lol :D 53mm...

16. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    #41 Qvb, Aug 18, 2010
    Here are a couple of mine. The first is from about '78, it was Powell's first board I believe.
    They made a flat board called a Quicksilver, which was an aluminum sandwich with a wood center, and the Quicktail, which was an aluminum sandwich with a fiberglass center and a very small kicktail. I originally rode this with Bennett Pros and original Bones wheels. I was thinking of restoring it but the aluminum is pretty damaged.
    The yellow board is a reissue with Indys and Bones Cubes.
    The blue board is a Dogtown from around '79. It was pretty thrashed. I repainted it and my girlfriend used it in a mock up of an ad for a skate clothing brand called Limpy's. (Nothing rides as hard as...) It has it's old school Tracker trucks with some more recent Rat Bones. And check out that Power Pivot on the tail.
    I also have a Z-Woody Shogu Kubo from the mid seventies with Gull Wings and some Sims Bowl Riders. That board is in Pennsylvania so no picture available for now.
    The last picture is my super secret Newport Beach test facility. The board in the center is a Black Label John Lucero board with Indys and very fast Powell Bowl Bombers.
    I try to ride every day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Holy crap! That mini looks super tight and fast! How in the hell do you set up for the next transition with so little flatbottom?

18. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    You have a good eye. Actually this ramp is pretty hard to ride. I don't have a problem with the amount of flat but the radius of the ramps is too small so it gets steep too quickly. That is why the top decks are not finished, I am thinking about reshaping the ramps a bit.

19. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That is awesome. I may have to go to the skate shop and start up again.

20. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Looks like it's 4.5 or 5 foot tall with 8 foot radius transitions? Is it elliptical at all, or is the one radius constant? I built a 5 footer with some friends and we used 9 foot radius transitions that tightened to 8 foot radius transitions in the last foot. This gave just a touch of pop to lip tricks, but allowed lesser skaters to still ride the ramp...

21. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Unfortunately, it is 4 ft. tall with about a 5ft radius with a little bit of a blend to the flat.
    Since I am 6'6", the radius seems really tight. I really need to find time to reshape it.

22. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    **** that's tight! When you do the mods, update the thread, I'd like to see how far you take the radius out...

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #48 ag512bbi, Aug 20, 2010
  24. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #49 spdrcr, Aug 21, 2010
  25. joba

joba Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2009
    NY
    #50 joba, Aug 22, 2010
    You guys brought back some nice memories. Still have a Peralta warp tail and Gullwings HPG IV trucks . Want to buy some wheels for it. Was thinking of old Road Rider 4's or Kryptonics? This pic is from around 1975, man Im getting old. My little son should have fun with a nice vintage board, if he doesn't make fun of it, and me. :)

Skippr1999 likes this.