Oldest registered car in USA | FerrariChat

Oldest registered car in USA

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by UroTrash, Apr 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Does anyone have any idea what the oldest tagged and semi-regularly driven Ferrari is in the USA? Not show cars and garage queens that get 10 miles per year.

Could not find in archives.

2. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    A few years back, actually about 12-13 yrs ago I had conversed with a co-worker about a car he purchased back in the late 40's or early 50. I believe he lived in the Boston area as we both worked for Digital Equipement Corp. It was a 166 Stablimenti Farina coupe. I think it was sn 007, 9 or 11. Supposedly one of the first Ferraris to make it across the pond. If it is still around I would guess it would be the oldest, however I haven't heard or seen it in many years now. Aside from that, many of the 166 MM are still regularly tracked.

Regards,
    JP

3. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Interesting. I'm kind of wondering about who takes the oldest out on public roads time to time.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  5. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  7. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    anyone knows the date and what car was the first one sold by Luigi Chinetti?

8. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    OK. It looks as though no one can tell me what is the oldest registered car in the USA.

How about this then: What F-Chatter has the oldest REGULARLY DRIVEN, REGISTERED AND TAGGED Ferrari. I'm not talking track or shows here.

Anyone? Anyone?

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  10. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    The first sign of a Ferrari in USA I know, is the ex-Chinetti car, 166SC 016I, with Rand (?) at Bridgehampton in 49, then with Cunningham at Watkins Glen.
    Gilles

11. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    The first Ferrari in the US was Briggs Cunningham's #004C. It arrived in New York less than a week before the Bridgehampton race on June 11, 1949. This car was driven by Luigi Chinetti in 1948, winning the 12 hrs of Paris at Montlhery on Sept.12. Cunningham bought it "used" from Chinetti and immediately entered it at Bridgehampton where it was driven by George Rand. It led the main race for many laps until it was forced out with a broken oil line. Over the next few years it went on to win numerous races driven by Cunningham, Rand, Sam Collier and Jim Kimberly.
    It remained in the Cunningham collection for many years.

12. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    We speak from the same car, but with not the same serial number, for you 004C, for me 016I...... We need help !!!! Waynes ?????

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'll let Wayne chime in with his notes (when he wakes up), but I have the Cunningham car as 016I. 004C didn't come to the US until 1964.

14. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff

I quoted from a article by Stanley Nowak in Road & Track of september 1966 about 004C, and read it too fast: Briggs Cunningham's is 016I and that's the car. The article misleadingly started with a story I thougt was about 004C, but it wasn't. So next time I will take some more time reading.

15. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    I believe Tommy Lee's 166 MM Barchetta (0002M) actually arrived in the U.S. before Cunningham's 166 Spyder Corsa (which was actually a used car at that point). Cunningham's 166 was the first to be raced in the U.S.

16. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    You are true.... But it's easy to forget this car, I have just seen a front pic of it at Pebble Beach 97, it's only I known on it.... Also, it engine is 022I (in a precedent thread, here is the explanation of why...)
    Gilles

17. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    what Tommy Lee ? is the same Tommy Lee that I'm thinking of?

18. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here

Probably not. This Tommy Lee, who inherited the Cadillac distributorship for California and a number of radio stations, died in January, 1950.

19. fizzazz365GTC4

Mar 25, 2004
    New York, N Y
    Full Name:
    Mitch Cahn
    Back in the '70's I owned a 166 Touring bodied coupe s/n 029S. I used to take it out every weekend. One Saturday I drove it over to my friend Al Meyers house. He was hosting a dinner whose guests included Stand Nowak, Dick Merritt and Jess Pouret. They werea little surprised to see the 166 pull into the driveway.

20. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    Hello Mr. Cahn,
    I too had the good fortune to own 029S for all too brief a period in 1988-89. The car was a jewell. It remains the only car I have ever owned which I sincerely regret selling. I drove the car almost every day for a few months. I still have the owner's handbook. Great memories.
    Ron Hetherington