On the '55 Mondial blue spyder to be auctioned, anybody know the owner? | FerrariChat

On the '55 Mondial blue spyder to be auctioned, anybody know the owner?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by bitzman, Jul 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    If you get a chance go to the Gooding site, and see the car coming up for their auction at Monterey ,it's a beautiful Scaglietti spyder that he got dirt cheap in 1960 when it was just an old dirty race car. Gooding expects to get at least $5,550,000. My question is: I love the story of how he found it, and bought it and kept it for 58 years but I am curious, did Rear Admiral Phillips live to see his car destined for auction? Or his wife (who is mentioned as a great supporter of his keeping the car through thick and thin...) I hope so, and applaud any wife who lets her husband keep that old race car even though they are required to move many times (probably 40 times in his career....)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  2. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    That Mondial is considerably nicer than the 388GTO

3. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Wally,

As Mark Twain once reportedly said “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

When you and I met at Scottsdale a year ago January at the Arizona Concours I was only 81 but now at 82 ½ I am still kicking, and my sweetheart of 57 years is thankfully alive and well and about to run the 5K and 1500M in the upcoming New Mexico Senior Olympics. Of my two favorite chassis I am keeping her and selling the Mondial. Stop by the Gooding tent at Pebble and say Hi again.

By the way the very first time she ever sat in the Ferrari was as we approached the 2008 Pebble Beach Concours ramp to take the two top Ferrari trophies. Before that time it was just a dirty old race car. A truly special woman, and they are apparently hard to find these days.

Best regards,

Robert

NGooding, nschots, LARRYH and 12 others like this.
  4. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    What a truly lovely post.

LARRYH and Dave rocks like this.
  5. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Hey guys,

Better yet she gave me my special son without any diminishment of the gear head car guy genes!

Best regards,

Robert

DennisForza, nschots, LARRYH and 4 others like this.
  6. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Admiral Sr. you’re an excellent driver. About 8 years ago I had the pleasure to follow you for some time in your beautiful Mondial in my Blu Ribot Ferrari 365 BB at Road America at pretty high speed. Boy is your machine loud! Also very nimble.

Gene

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    We try not to mention things like “high speed” around Mrs. Admiral Goodwrench. Dad’s excuse is that the Mondial does not have a speedometer.

lbird, nschots, VColin and 10 others like this.
  8. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    That’s a valid excuse, lol

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Admiral,

While I greatly suspect you don't care about the monetary value (or you would have sold long ago), did you ever, in your wildest dreams, think one day this car would be worth millions?

I've enjoyed following your journey the last few years. Enzo would be proud of your stewardship of this beautiful car.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Gene,

It must have been the "push" I got from your drafting...

Does this look familiar?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq4g4nqdoa5uz50/RED%20-32%20copy.JPG?dl=0

Let's see, 172 BHP and 1585 lbs plus my 150 should provide a fairly nice power/weight ratio.

Best regards,

Robert

LARRYH likes this.
  11. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Dave,

Resale value was not even in my thinking when I bought the car. I was looking for something to race that was faster than my 57 MGA.

Best regards,

Robert

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Yes and for me it was help from your car’s wake. Oh yes it sure does, excellent shot.

Gene

Admiral Goodwrench likes this.
  13. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Dear Robert,
    While you are preparing to part with your Mondial ( I know how painful it is as I parted with 2, included the rare Berlinetta, even if jointly I had them for less time than you..) I wish you a long long time to enjoy other things including life in Santa Fe and I am sorry that we missed each other there last month.
    If you want some adrenaline and you are around in Europe I can give you some driving time in the 512S I drove last week end at
    Le Mans Classic.
    In the meantime I wish you and your lovely wife all the best and I am sure your MD will end up in good hands, those are cars for connaisseurs and real enthusiasts , not just for stupid investors,,,
    Warm regards
    Pierre

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've been a fan of this car, the owner, and his family for a while now. The Admiral was such a fine steward of the car, and he's passing it on as a much better car than the one he found.

And who knows how many miles he put on it? No odometer! :)

15. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    While we are on the topic, I'll take any excuse to rewatch this.

LARRYH, VColin, johngtc and 4 others like this.
  16. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
  17. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Pierre,

I too am truly sorry we did not get to meet in Santa Fe, but perhaps at Pebble Beach.

While I do not expect to be in Europe any time soon, I would love a driving stint in the 512S, 5 liters vs my 2 liters ought to be a really exciting experience.

Thank you for your wishes and thoughts.

Best regards,

Robert

18. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    For those of you who have not already seen the new video on Jay Leno's Garage you might like it at:

Best regards,

Robert

NbyNW, johngtc, Tenney and 3 others like this.