One and all Connolly leather thread for Vintage Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

One and all Connolly leather thread for Vintage Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by BBBBBBB, Oct 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    To summarize based on recent experience, Connolly is very customer friendly, prompt to deliver samples and adjust on demand special orders. But at least for a 275 GTB the HVL which is thicker and with more grain is actually the one closest to period. If you have time to wait to get your order,,and to send it back if it is not as specified...took for us from September to March to get the proper one, Connolly had it in stock....but as said it would have been a special order to get thicker and more grain than their standard sample. Regardless of price which is not a key element when you restore such car..

elmadi likes this.
  2. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #27 BBBBBBB, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Bira,
    great information and many thanks. I have some questions please:

I assume you received Vaumol samples from both H.V.L. and Connolly family: how much was the thickness of each ?
    Did you receive samples from other companies ?
    Did Connolly family reply why they show a standard sample which is thinner and having less grain ?
    Did you finally order Connolly family then or H.V.L. ?
    You experienced Connolly family to being more expensive ?
    Do you have pictures and close-ups of the samples to share please, do you already have pictures of the interior and a close-ups of a section to share please ?

Ben

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    07637 ?

Marcel Massini

4. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #29 BBBBBBB, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Peter,
    thanks very much. Luppi is certainly well known for its work. I remember a NART Spyder interior made by Luppi in the 90ies.

Tappezzeria Luppi

Luppi picture attached.

Ben
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    #30 Fennicus, Oct 18, 2015
    Hi,

Yes they appear to have been basically the same in the same era, I don't mean the samples, they are of course the same, they came from Connolly, but it seems clear that Connolly also made the sample booklets for Ferrari, or Scaglietti, or Jaguar as the details, are the same, like how the samples were bound etc. That can also help in timing the samples.

Here are my samples, the older one is more difficult to photo as the samples can be bent one by one, like Marcel also did, but the later (early 1960's, Jaguar acquired Daimler in late 1959, I think the deal was closed in May 1960, so that helps timing as these samples carry no date or publication info etc.) is easier to spread as it has one large round rivet.

6. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    We started with HVL and sample was correct compared to period sample that we have at the body shop.
    But what arrived was not correct after we ordered so we sent it back. In meantime, because of delay, we asked JC and received same week the sample. We compared and make the comment and he offered to do a special order to meet our requirements. Because he order was already with HVL we put a deadline and decided to wait. Ultimately it came correct at end of deadline , but seem JC would have made a special order.
    Don't have the samples w me, they are with body shop. Frankly did not check the price, I would quote both as market in any case, the issue was to have the correct material.
    When the car is fully ready, I will post pictures inside and outside!

7. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Pekka,
    great post and many thanks, i just quote parts of it which leads us into an interesting direction:

I personally think this depends on each model, we all need to go into this topic please.

Ben

8. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Hi Marcel,
    For example...I have had 3 GTB and one I bought twice,,so you can chose!
    Best regards from Palermo, on my way back from Targa Florio classic, was a wonderful sunny relaxed end of season event, will try to post some pictures in next few weeks.

9. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Bira,
    thanks very much again.

Did you notice the typical Connolly perfume on the H.V.L samples & the hides they delivered to you ? How about the perfume of the Connolly family samples ? Please let us know.
    Ben

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Luppi today is no longer the same as back then.
    Some changes. Do your own homework.
    Strongly recommend Maieli near Mantova:

INTERNI AUTO TAPPEZZERIA MAIELI

Marcel Massini

11. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #36 BBBBBBB, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

What happened to Luppi and which interiors they made were not perfect ?

Ben

12. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #37 BBBBBBB, Oct 18, 2015
  13. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #38 BBBBBBB, Oct 18, 2015

many thanks for the important input.
    Picture: former Connolly Tannery, Canterbury Kent.

Is there more information available regarding the chemicals and what is the secret to the very special "Connolly perfume" please ?
    Ben

14. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #39 BBBBBBB, Oct 18, 2015
  15. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #40 BBBBBBB, Oct 18, 2015
    Very interesting indeed, many thanks.

Please let us all share as many pictures of

* Connolly samples
    * Connolly sample booklets

as possible and their timing (if possible)

and a list of

* Connolly color codes

and their timing.

Picture is showing samples of a booklet believed to being a Connolly Vaumol Carrozzeria Scaglietti sample booklet:

VM3171
    VM3218
    VM8500
    VM3997

Ben

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #41 Marcel Massini, Oct 18, 2015
    Now run bei sons. On display at Luppi's stand a few days ago during Modena Motorgallery.

Marcel Massini

17. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Yes! What I would really like to know, are the names of the colours. Now I do know already that the names may vary according to language, market and era.

The booklets I have never had VM8500 as although that most certainly was an option, perhaps the English just thought that Black is Black and it's not necessary to provide a sample, as it's so obvious. But so it would probably have been called Nero or Black, in Italy and UK and USA.

Did Ferrari any of their international marketing material or was it up to Maranello C's, Chinetti's and others marketing departments to put together the sales brochures and option lists back then?

I think there is a chance where marketing would have entered the picture, and some colours would have a name that was specific of the era and it's fashion. Some of the browns and beige come into mind, as well as the greys and blues. After all, Cream sounds better than White, or it could have been Ivory before that became politically questionable etc.

VM8500 Nero / Black
    VM3171 Rosso / Red

18. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #43 BBBBBBB, Oct 19, 2015
  19. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #44 BBBBBBB, Oct 19, 2015
  20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    For instance, VM3015, pictured as a sample by Marcel Massini on post #23 on the previous page of this thread, was called "Nuvola" (which means "cloud") by Ferrari.
    It is a medium blue.
    Rgds

21. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    #46 Jezter70, Oct 19, 2015
    Not to be picky (coming from Kent! ), but the factory was in Ashford in Kent, not Canterbury.
    Jonathan Connolly, who i was in direct contact with during the restoration of my 246 Dino (picture below) is still very much an active part of the business, via UK Hides, they still make the traditional vegetable dyed Valmol hides and can match to original specification for colour and grain ...... very authentic and original, if you ask me!!

BR,
    Jez

22. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Connolly provided for sure different samples of the same leather, hand-made or custom-made as you wish, because a special order. The owner of a 500 Superfast didn't ask for a "standard" leather for sure. So the problem, in this case, is even worse...is it still possible to re-create the same pattern of the leather? I know some here in Italy can do it. Probably the collectors haven't yet the appropriate knowledge to ask for a fine restoration, looking what i saw in the last years at the Villa d'Este elegance concours..... Maybe i'm fighting "my private war" without sufficiently ammunitions!

elmadi likes this.
  23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Appropriate knowledge? Most "collectors" do NOT really want to spend proper $$$ for the really correct leather quality. THAT is the real problem. As for the restoration quality of certain cars at VDE I recommend to travel a bit further, outside of Europe. VDE is the wrong place to see perfect and outstanding Ferrari restorations.

Marcel Massini

elmadi likes this.
  24. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #49 BBBBBBB, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Great looking interior, many thanks.
    Ben

25. geno berns