One for Shamile | FerrariChat

One for Shamile

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by barabus, Feb 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I love that is says "not a clone" "an original replica" ???????

R

2. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Asking $140K is a little high in my opinion, maybe $40-50K is more realistic even if it is the actual car.

3. ZAMIRZ

ZAMIRZ Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Amir
    This is a prime candidate for Barrett-Jackson. Get Don Johnson to drive it up on the block, pose for a photos, give some BS commentary about how the car made him a man and include a pair of signed white loafers. $1/4 million easy.

4. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    That's actually an outstanding idea...only fly in the ointment would be coming up with Don Johnson's cut (can't imagine he'd do it for free ;)...

5. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    +1. That's the only way to get good money for it, who knows, it may reach that.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Shamile - - trivia question!
    In my vague memory - the Daytona in the series was a US spec car with popup headlights....
    Right or wrong???
    Rgds,
    Vincenzo

7. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    I remember many years ago I was in the Boyton Beach mall and the White TR was there with velvet ropes around it and a plaque stating it was the MV car. Anyone else see that car there or know if it was in fact the TR from MV?

8. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I never saw it there, but I think it is, or was on display at a flea market in Broward.

9. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    It's funny that they didn't bother to line up the front bumpers before putting it up for sale.

10. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    The white Testarossa is on display at the Swap Shop in Fort Lauderdale. The guy who ownes that flea market has a massive car collection. I have a bunch of pics on my Facebook acct. I can post them here too. He does have one of the Miami Vice TR's. Its in OK shape. I would love to know where the other one went.

11. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Yes please post the pics!!! Wasn't the other one used to mount all the camera equipment on?

12. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    I would think they put it back together and sold it...or atleast hope they would.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    No, it looked exactly like that.

14. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    #15 MGJBLKTR, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung

Since it's a replica, why not get a Don Johnson celebrity-look-alike to do it for much less?;)

16. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Good point (and good idea!)

17. cryorunner

cryorunner Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    #18 cryorunner, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    Generally the iconic Miami Vice Daytona seen in the episodes was just as you see it in the ad, with very noticeable fixed headlights even during the day shots. And there are no night shots with pop-ups.

But in some of the day shots its very hard to see any sign of the lights, and I wonder if it's just an optical illusion or whether one of the replicas was fitted with heavily tinted lenses or even blacked out panels. I think this is particularly noticeable in season 2, especially when comparing it to season 1.

The car seen in the pilot episode, which has very different seats, doesn't seem to show any sign of fixed headlights during the day shots, but it doesn't look like there are pop-ups in the night shots either. I had read that at least one shot in the premier is of a real Daytona, so maybe there are both a pop-up and fixed-light car in the pilot? Certainly the seats in the car for both the day and night shots are much nicer than those seen on the replicas for the rest of the show.

For the premiere of season 3, prior to it being blown up, also seems to have no fixed headlights, but still with ugly seats.

Hey, on a similar topic more on-topic for the board, does anyone know the real story behind the color of the Testarossas on the show? I think the more I try to research it the more disagreement I find. I see two somewhat credible stories:

- The authoritative version says two black Testarossas were delivered by FNA, one of which is seen in the season 3 premiere. Because they didn't photograph well at night they were painted white prior to Crockett getting his.

- An alternative version says that prior to the FNA delivery, they rented the black one seen in the season 3 premiere, and based on how it filmed quickly changed their request to FNA to white and were delivered white ones from the factory. This story I believe also includes the dubious claim that the rented black Testarossa was itself painted white for use in the show until the FNA cars were delivered.

Inquiring minds want to know!

18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #19 vincenzo, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

The US spec Daytona had round "pop ups"....if you could call them that as they were in the front and came up but not above the front hood line....like the TR per se.

The original (euro) Daytona has round headlights behind nose-smooth lenses. This arrangement was unacceptable to US DOT as headlights could not be screened.

....hence the "pop ups"

1. I don't remember the lenses being blacked-out. Perhaps the angle of the sun hitting the lenses during filming created the illusion. In many episodes, you could see the lights (square headlights.....giving away it's a fake ) during the chase scenes.

The only episode I could remember with a real Daytona, was where Crockett's old buddy...now a drug-dealer defending lawyer. He drove a yellow one in the show....pop ups clearly visible ( down positon ) as he drive onto the tarmac to fly his jet to "clear his head"

2. As I understand it, the car was the same black metallic car featured in the first episode season 3 "Irish eyes are smiling" . The car was not rented but "provided" for the show.

The producers decided that is should be white for better filming ( white was the color of the 80's ) and had it painted. I never heard of Ferrari providing another car or changing the original car for white one.

Enzo Ferrari was so thankful for the show making the Testarossa a financial success and turning it into THE icon of the 80's, he gave Don Johnson a silver Testarossa....which he later sold.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

20. cryorunner

cryorunner Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Look at the Daytona in "Irish Eyes" (before it gets blown up). You get plenty of good shots of the front but I can't see any lights. Now compare that to any daytime shot in season 1, where they stand out. I swear something is going on there. Pretty much the same for a quick random sampling of season 2 as well, compared with season 1 where the lights stand out in all the shots during the day.

There's clearly something very different with the "Daytona" in the pilot episode, though it could just be a different fake. In addition to the shots of the Daytona driving, the there is a scene that pans past the car as it sits stationary, I believe the first time you actually see the black Daytona. It is this car that I've seen claimed to be a real Ferrari, but I don't know anything about the real car so I wouldn't be able to identify any details. Wait, I've found a link:
    I think that the stories I see seem to agree that there were two cars provided by Ferrari North America, and the Pantera based stunt car, for a total of three cars in use for most of the show. Here's an example:
    The most credible other variation is that while waiting for delivery they rented the black one seen in "Irish Eyes" and then actually painted it white for Crockett and changed the request to FNA to white just in time. Can't find a good example link right now, but this post references the same story:
    http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3655662&postcount=32

I'm confused because I know everything I read on the internet must be true, yet I'm seeing conflicting stories. I need to get to the bottom of this!

21. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    I read somewhere that the fake Daytona's were fixed up between season 1 and season 2. They blacked out the headlights and also blacked out the chrome windshield pillars. I think there were some interior work done as well.

Also, in the pilot epidode Brothers Keeper Don Johnson is sitting in a REAL black daytona reading the news paper waiting for Leon to come out with his fried chicken. I read that the real daytona car owner rented the car to MV production people but they were not taking very good care of it so he took it back. I will try to find the aticle and post the link.

22. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #23 Darkhorse575, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    You are the only other person to have noticed this.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/12414/miami-vice-pilot-brothers-keeper

At 22:15 that looks like a very REAL 365 GTS/4.

23. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    Yep, I think you are right. The windshield has the quarter window and they are only avaiable on the real deal and the high end jag replicars.