One Lap -- which driver--your life depends on it. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

One Lap -- which driver--your life depends on it.

Discussion in 'F1' started by Drive550PFB, Jul 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  2. jj2728

jj2728 Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Ontario
    if it were from any era then it would have to be Jim Clark.

3. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
  4. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Agree, I was going to say if my life depended on it it would be either Stewart or Senna, both had the balls, skill, and brains to save my life.

If I had to pick one driver on the current grid it would be Alonso.

MB

5. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    Current Era: Alonso
    All time: Jimmy Clark

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Any era:

Senna

Today:

Schumacher

However trusting an F-1 driver with your life ... not good... his own life... better.

7. vagabond

vagabond Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    SID
    Of the current lot, iff they were going to save my life on the same cars, I would choose Hamilton(not that I like this guy, but I think he is able to eke out the final tenth out of the car). If Hami was on a pee break, I would call in Vettel.

Kimi is a no-no for me, as you would never know if he was in the mood for driving fast - ON THAT PARTICULAR LAP - Remember his Ferrari days? Many laps of slumber and then bang ! the fastest lap. Can't trust him, mate !!

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    F1 is Sunday morning coffee for me... my life depends on NOTHING involving picking a winner :)
    (As an owner of a Mercedes and a Ferrari, I do have my preferences - but they're NOT life threatening!! :D)

Some guyz take this stuff SERIOUSLY.... it's just a race to me. I'll watch TdF until
    the F1 starts, while the coffee is brewing - guys on bikes releasing 1/3 HP while climbing
    a mountain does have it's appeal)

:)

Jedi

9. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Schumacher, F2004, Suzuka.

10. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Jim Clark is who came to mind for me, but who knows how he'd get on in the days of high downforce.

GV did some amazing stuff in the rain back in his day to.

11. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
  12. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Depends on which era I guess...

13. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    I'd go with Vettel on a qualifying lap; he's the better qualifier IMO. But Alonso is the better racer IMO.

14. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
  15. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    One lap?

Easy----SENNA.

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :eek:

You're joking, right?........

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, he's not worthy of carrying Jimmy's crash helmet - And I suspect even he'd admit that too. Even mentioning him in the same sentence as Jimmy or Aryton is doing them a huge disservice.

He's quite simply a minor leaguer compared to most of the guys mentioned herein. Not even in the same ballpark as Jimmy or Ayrton. Gilles would be there or there abouts too.

But if my life were on the line - Jimmy, no doubt at all.

IMESHO ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    He'd be just fine!...... He could drive a bus with wooden tires and be fast!

I feel for you guys that never saw him - He (and Ayrton on occasion) were often *visibly* faster than anyone else. Michael says the car talks to him (but only whispers in the wet ;)), Jimmy would have an entire conversation with it - He was quite simply the best and would be the best in any era IMO - Downforce, active suspension, whatever, he'd figure it out and caress it onto pole.

Some of the other names mentioned are unquestionably damn good, but Jimmy was head and shoulders above them *all* IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

18. Estranged

Estranged Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    LA
    Curious on why anyone would pick a driver from a previous era. Cars are so different these days, what made a driver great back then might be different from what makes one a great driver today. I'd probably pick vettel then hami. Who knows how Jackie would have done dealing with the higher g forces, kers and DRS.

19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    1. Senna
    2. Alonso
    3. Schumacher

20. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Prost would have been my pick also.

Keyword being 'these days'.
    You would not have said that a year ago, or two years ago.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, correct?
    Somebody picked someone you don't agree with so you blast them? That figures.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I wouldn't want a lap in a modern car as no fun. Back in the Clark/Moss days you would be drifting (properly, not that bollocks cap on backwards BS) and it would be beautiful to experience from the passenger seat.

Modern cars would simply scare you into passing out, and it is all about picking braking points and relying on the wings to make it around the corner.

I think Nurvolari would be interesting in period too as I imagine the car would be all over the place :D
    Pete

22. The Speedfighter

The Speedfighter Formula 3

Dec 13, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Lex
    Now:
    1) Alonso
    2) Kimi
    3) Schumi (just for the sake of it)

Overall:
    1) Mika H.
    2) Senna
    3) Prost

23. 2003Enzo

2003Enzo Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    1.) Vettel
    2.) Alonso
    3.) Hamilton

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Most overrated F1 driver of all time, IMO.

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Exactly. Any era, Jimmy. Currently, Fred.

I wouldn't be so sure - Fred's always been damn quick. I believe, as already stated, that in the same car he'd be quicker than either Seb or Mcham. It's true he seems to have matured and I view him more favorably than a few years back. So, yes *today* he would be my choice. A few years back, maybe not.

Absolutely. This is a discussion forum wherein many different opinions are presented. I expressed my opinion (and I stand behind it) that Mansell isn't in the same league as the "greats".

Where did I "blast them"? I even used "with all due respect" and "IMESHO" to amplify the fact that this was simply my opinion. I think most know I'm a *long* way from a Mansell fan and have posted some reasons for that in the past. I certainly didn't intend to blast the poster and don't believe I did. [I blasted Mansell and that was certainly intended!]

I don't get your "that figures" comment? What's that meant to mean? Sounds like a dig at me, which is fine but I fail to see why I deserve it.

Cheers,
    Ian