Online purchasing scams | FerrariChat

Online purchasing scams

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by drbob101, Aug 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I am selling a car currently. Did a cars.com ad. Have someone asking for my paypal email to send payment and he'll have someone pick up the car.

I am thinking he'll get car and title and then file a claim with PayPal. I told him fine, friends and family only with PayPal. No response yet.

What's out there?

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds too good to be true. Insist on wire transfer.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

cash.

Tell him you'll meet him, title in hand, at the closest police station. Down here, the police provide their lots and lobbies as safe places to meet craigslist or ebay buyers to finalize a transaction.

He brings the cash, you bring the title and the car and ANOTHER PERSON. You get the cash, he gets the title, your third person goes to the bank with the cash in case he needs you to help with title transfer

TOO MANY BAD GUYS OUT THERE.

Or, if you have friend in the car business, do the transaction at a dealership. Handle the sales tax, etc, and drop your pal a couple hunnert dollars for helping out and keeping you alive.

NO CHECKS, no money orders, cashola.

D

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Just ignore those emails. Scams and not worth the time to reply to.

5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Of course that's what he's going to do. I get harassed by those losers constantly whenever I try to sell a car every four years or so. Cash, wire, or cashiers check deposited in person at bank. The rest is just conversation.

The second they get the title and car you better believe the chargeback will be coming your way LOL

6. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Wire into my account or meet at their bank and have them get a cashiers check in my presence.

7. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    That's most likely a scam. If you're picking up a car then you are meeting with the owner/seller so cash or wired (we call BACS in the UK).

8. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I got a great reply yesterday from a "lady" selling her Austin healey, saying she's in Hawaii, cars in NJ at Ft Dix though in storage.

I said "Great! I'm stationed there, when can I come look?!?"...

Crickets lol