Only blowing hot air (car, as well as wife) | FerrariChat

Only blowing hot air (car, as well as wife)

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Britward, Sep 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Although they deny it I think one of my kids moved the temp "slider" all the way to the left, as I found it that way when I got in. Despite adjusting it back to where it was, all the way to the right - cold - I'm now getting hot air out of the vents when on the move even with the fan off.

The corner vents have always been a bit of a mystery actually, sometimes I actually get cold air out of them when the a/c is on, which I thought was impossible as they are separate systems.

Happily the a/c is very good, but not when it's battling hot air from more vents than it has; I'm getting a nice narrow blast of cold air through the now-ambient hot air coming from everywhere else.

I assume there is a vital little flap buried somewhere deep that requires removing the entire dash and fabricating a replacement from scratch, but is there possibly something I can kick or hit with a hammer? (other than the guilty child)?

Thanks.
    412 btw.

afterburner likes this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like a cable connection to a flap has become unattached. Maybe you could try an inexpensive inspection camera to probe under the dash to locate the disconnect or jam.

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I believe the temperature lever actually controls a coolant valve. When you go to full hot the valve opens all of the way and allows maximum coolant flow to the two small heater cores located in the rear portion of the engine compartment. I suppose the 412 could have a more traditional set up using a blend door but I don’t there’s enough room for that type of setup.

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  4. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    In the 412 there is an a/c unit that pumps cold air from 3 dedicated vents in the top-centre of the dash plus another in each footwell. Very effective actually. There is also a separate rotary switch for the rear system, although thinking about it I think it might be the same system with 2 switches.

The non-AC vents - the corners, windscreen and footwell - are just ambient air with some theoretical level of control over whether the air is routed through the engine bay (to heat) or not.

Each side has a rotary switch to boost the flow driven by vehicle speed, and in my case it's the drivers side that seems to have stuck in the "hot" position.

5. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Love the Alan Parsons reference, btw.

In the unlikely situation that you not seen these, 2 of my favourites:

and for broader, or potentially narrower, appeal, a brilliant short documentary about him mixing Dark Side of the Moon, which nobody knows he did. The way he fades the different tracks in and out is breathtaking.

Specifically:

Sorry, off topic, I know, but it's Pink Floyd....

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  6. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Ok, that's weird, what's posting is not what I linked it to. Search for

Pink Floyd - Classic Albums: The Dark Side Of The Moon

and jump to 39:30.

Then go back to the beginning...

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I’ve had that line on my page for several years and your the first one to comment! Really like this album and Alan Parsons in general. I was an airline pilot for a long time. I’d usually fly between Honolulu and various cities in Japan. I’d listen to Eye In The Sky on the night flights from Japan to Honolulu while looking out at the southern Milky Way.

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Maybe you can open the bonnet and manually shut down the coolant valve that's under the windscreen wipers?

With a bit of luck that's were the cable got disconnected. Unfortunately that's usually in the dashboard that the cables get loose, which is much more work to fix.

At the end of my cables sleeves I've added some adhesive shrink tubing (the electric insulation type) so as to add some grip and solve the problem for good.

energy88 likes this.
  9. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    raemin is on to the real cause and potential solution. I had to replace one of my cables to the "coolant" valve last year.

10. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    this coolant valve will rust if circuit is not used often.
    I believe the stuck valve is a good first examination

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Pretty sure the way the lever works that when you increase the heat the cable is pulling the lever on the valve. When you want to decrease the temp the cable has to push the lever. It’s much easier for the cable to pull than to push.