Opinion on Musk's business philosophy vs. The Big Three? Read this and see if you agree... | FerrariChat

Opinion on Musk's business philosophy vs. The Big Three? Read this and see if you agree...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bitzman, Jan 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    The article wasn’t written by Musk and didn’t appear to talk much about his philosophies.

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Never said it was written by Musk. About Musk.

3. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    There is nothing of substance in that article. It boils down to Musk is rich and successful, we should emulate him. Lines like this "rocketry one of his big things was reusable rockets–send one out into space and have it come back so you can re-use it." Show a complete lack of understanding by the author. Reusable rockets are not a new concept. We had this thing called the space shuttle before. The author also seems to have completely missed the GM EV-1.

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    The EV1 was admittedly a bold step. I forget what was wrong with it, but they developed hybrids after that. Some guy made a documentary implying GM killed the EV on purpose because they don't like electric cars but he failed to understand that it was just a prototype leased to the masses and it was their intention all along to replace it.

The bio I read on Musk by Vance said NASA tried to build returnable rockets for years and didn't succeed. Here's Wikipedia on that subject:
    "A reusable launch system is a launch system that includes the recovery of some or all of the component stages. To date, several fully reusable suborbital systems and partially reusable orbital systems have been flown.

The first reusable launch vehicle to reach orbit was the Space Shuttle (in 1981), which failed to accomplish the intended goal of reducing launch costs to below those of expendable launch systems. SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has said that if one can figure out how to reuse rockets like airplanes then the cost of access to space will be reduced by as much as a factor of a hundred.[1]

During the 21st century, commercial interest in reusable launch systems has grown considerably, with several active launchers. The SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket has a reusable first stage and capsule (for Dragon flights) and expendable second stage, The Spaceship Company has flown reusable suborbital spaceplanes, and the sub

5. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    IMO, I think as soon as TSLA had a car developed (but not mass-produced yet), big oil came to GM figuring
    GM could ratchet up the EV-1 production, money was exchanged under the table, etc.
    Everyone that had an EV-1 LOVED it - read the stories fromEd Begley Jr. I think only one EV-1 exists, and
    GM stripped all technology from it.
    Also go look up how GM destroyed the mass transit system in the USA in the very early 50's, GM convinced
    everyone to abandon the above-ground 'subways' that are so prevalent in Europe and go with.... busses.
    I know there are a lot of stories debunking that conspiracy theory, I believe some of it, not all of it.
    Google the stories - they are fascinating reads.

Not many people take a bus unless it picks you up almost at your door and delivers you to exactly where you
    want to go. We have a new multi-million dollar bus system here, and almost nobody uses it. I don't, and not a
    single person I know does.

I'm still a little befuddled that TSLA has had cars out for, what, 8-10 years now, and GM has none?
    Toyota has had the Prius out forever - and neither GM, Ford, Dodge have anything? (yet - I know they are working on them)
    GM, Ford, Dodge have the charging infrastructure all over the nation (car dealerships) and have nothing?

Some on here recall Ford was on the brink of bankruptcy and I was begging TSLA to buy them - this was
    also when TSLA was looking for a legit factory, but TSLA didn't buy Ford, which would have also given
    them charging infrastructure....