opinion on track car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

opinion on track car?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Hawkeye, Dec 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You could just get a Panoz and have someone put in a passenger seat.

2. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Which Panoz??? Certainly not a pig GTS car? An Elan IMSA lites car? No room for a passenger seat and not at all what I am looking at doing. I am not sure which car you are referring to. Can you give a bit more info?

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.

Did I say do it? :)

Dale

4. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #29 KKRace, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    The tube frame race carthe run in the SCCA GT2 class, not the street version. If you're just looking for a track car you could take out the sealed motor after you get some experience and drop in a 600 hp Roush motor and even a Jerico trans. Just about everything you need you could buy off the shelf from any number of cataloges and bolt it in without too much expertise.

5. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Yea but it would be an ugly and slow car!! Not slow in a straight line but the Norma would run rings around it on a track. (The Norma is quicker than a 600 hp Rocketsports T/A car!)

Also-the GT2 car is not at all what I am looking to do. It would be okay for what it is but it misses all a bunch of the salient design goals I am after.

End the end-some people like Vanilla ice cream, some like Chocolate. It is just the way it is.

6. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I admit it, I like vanilla! I'm just trying to keep it simple and cheap. Not only do I like vanilla but I'm cheap! That and I don't want to spend my life working on the racecar every day. I guess that makes me lazy too, although I prefer to describe myself as frugal and efficient rather than cheap and lazy.

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Many great posts and still agree get a Miata. Better to get a slower car and learn to go fast then... plus Miatas are dirt cheap all around. Once you get the hang of it all, then.... :)

And yes, closed wheel and if you attend a DE day with a REALLY fast formula car (S2000) you'll set yourself up for possible dissappointment due to traffic and limited passing.

Nice! VERY nice!!!! Umm, that is a track car with aero help so yeah 2G using those sticky tires for sure. Ran the open wheel F2000 side by side with a few Sports 2000 during SCCA races and it was a close call depending on the track and how we each setup our cars. Had a lot of fun... The guy i ran with during SCCA was Italian (forget his name) from SCCA NER, you might know him. Great guy with a red Sports 2000.

8. erubin

erubin Rookie

Dec 24, 2009
    Greenville DE
    Full Name:
    Edward Rubin
    I am also a relatively new track junky. Once I decided to buy a track car, I was asking many of the same questions and got much of the same advise from experienced drivers and racers. In the end I purchased a Lotus 255 Cup car as my dedicated track car. The only negative I have found is the difficulty getting in and out of the car but this is the case with most cars with full roll cages. The car is a blast to drive and very reasonable to track. When I get more experience and begin racing, I will probably down grade to a Miata or other race car that I don't mind crashing or bumping with other more aggressive racers.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Life is too short to race anything slow.

10. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    actually, the Sports 2000 is heavily aero restricted. No wings, no tunnels, flat bottom between axle centerlines. Just tons of mechanical grip. 53 Flat at LRP on Labor Day! Data shows 112 mph through West Bend and more through the Downhill! vMin for the whole track is after braking for the Left Hander, 75 mph... :) nothing like a real race car.

Giovanni Sorbello... John's a great guy and occasionally, very quick.

11. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #36 enjoythemusic, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
    Yup, that's him! He is pretty quick at NHMS which is where i generally saw/ran with him. Nice guy and fun / honest driver.

Yeah, those S2k must have great mechanical grip indeed! Wow, 53 at LRP is fast and that is where it was tough to pass/catch an S2k i was running with during an open track day.

The repave of LRP has REALLY made it so much faster and more fun. Had to REALLY change up LD200's gearing big time. i think the fastest F2000 time is 50-ish at LRP. Was doing 52 with Hoosier 35A rubber my first day out with guesstimate gearing and aero setup after the repave and planned to use 25A and more optimal gearing for the 2008 finals to earn track record yet rain... so just bailed as already had the driver's championship in hand and was selling the car. Sadly, that was the last day at the track for Yours Truly... for the time being.

12. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Hope you make it back soon! Merry Christmas!