Opinions/ advice on paint work. F430 | FerrariChat

Opinions/ advice on paint work. F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by gandalfthegray., Jan 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just thought I'd see what peoples feelings are on having paint work done on a 430. I know the Ferrari crowd is uber finicky when it comes to these cars.

In my case, my car is an 08 Spider in Rosso. I'm the second owner of the car and unfortunately the first owner did not install a clear bra. The result is tiny rock chips. I've used a product from Dr. Colorchip (which I recommend) and filled all the chips. They are almost undetectable unless standing next to the car inspecting it. They do bother me though as I'm somewhat OCD with cars. Now first off, the bumper was resprayed already so this is a no brainer. I will be respraying this for sure. The problem comes as there are some chips on the hood and also on the fender. Again, very small and almost (key word here) unnoticed. Following the respray of the front bumper in the new future, I will apply the clear bra.

If this were your car would you have the body shop blend the paint from the bumper into the hood and such which would eliminate all chips or would just respray the bumper and not involve the hood/fender? And if not respray hood, would apply clear bra over the repaired chips so as to prevent any further stone chip damage?

Wanted to add as well that the paint shop has worked on many cars of mine in the past and they are VERY good. I'm not concerned with their abilities whatsoever. If they blend the paint, the entire panel will be clear coated, cut and buffed to perfect. It isn't the cheapest option, but it satisfies my OCD requirements of them. lol

2. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I don't think quality paint work is a big deal... But I'm sure you'll get people that say it takes thousands off of the value, which is ridiculous. For me, it's about how the car looks, and the quality of care that has been given to the car. I vote to give that car some love and make it like you'll love it.

3. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    That's a tough call. I'd probably just stick with the front bumper respray. No harm no foul that way.

4. jrodrig688

jrodrig688 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2012
    FL
    Full Name:
    Jose Rodriguez
    I would just do bumper but if you need to be happyand If the shop is competent then do fenders. You are bothered by it and that is all that matters.

5. moritz55

moritz55 Karting

Oct 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Morizio
    #5 moritz55, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    My suggestion is ... have the front sprayed.. bonnet, fenders and bumper.... assure you have a competent body shop that has worked on exotics. Ferrari paint is only about 7-8mils thick (which is actually thin and not a lot of coats, thus chips show easily). Not sure how the mirrors are .. you may want to consider those as well?

They have to remove the bumper to spray it anyway ... so removing the shields, headlights and side blinkers is incrementally not much. Once they remove the headlights ..you can even clean the inside of them - not sure what they look like but there are threads on taking advantage of headlight removal to do some nice hygiene on cleaning them up.

Once all is done, paint cure is important (1week) before a full frontal clear-bra... and your front will have 11-14mils of paint which is more than twice what the original thickness on the body parts that get the most exposure to damage from road debris.

Hope this helps... just go with a good paint shop that does ... Porsches, Mercedes, Exotics... they know their stuff and will take pride in your vehicle. They'll post it as an example of their quality ... so they are motivated in doing an "Pristine" job..

Good luck.... Mark

6. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If they do a good job, I doubt anyone would know, or need to know. It's not like the car was in an accident.

7. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Make it OCD perfect.

8. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Personal call, but despite the OCD I would try convince myself to leave both bumper and rest as is, knowing I wouldn't feel bad should I get another chip, and hopefully allow you to maybe drive and enjoy it without being overly worried :)

9. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    #9 metaldriver, Jan 23, 2016
    You captured the important aspect ... use a quality shop to arrive at the results that make you happy. My opinion is that as finicky as the Ferrari crowd is, they appreciate the fact that because the car has not been in an accident, the spot-paint and clearbra is just the way it is, when driving a low-slung sports car on urban streets. If they balk at clearbra, kindly remind them that many high-cars have this protection.

I have a black 360 and received two rock chips in as many weeks on the nose. Instead of painting the entire bumper, they will fill and blend. They already repaired my 360 in this manner when I scratched the bottom-right chin against a rock last year and the result was perfect, so I have no hesitation spot-blending again. After the mandatory paint cure, I will have XPEL on the nose, entire hood, entire fenders and side mirrors. This will be followed by CQUARTZ applied to the entire car.

As far as painting the hood, don’t do it. My body shop and the Ferrari of Houston sales guy both advise not to unless absolutely necessary. At selling time, it is more difficult to explain why a non-wrecked front hood was re-painted. As it is explained to me, the high-quality clearbra will “heal and disguise” surface imperfections.

10. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #10 Bob in Texas, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is a topic near and dear to me and I can offer some insight. Bought my 08 430 in July knowing that if i couldn't live with the rock chips on the bumper, hood and a fender (many!), I would have to get it painted. The car had a clear bra from the windshield forward and i hoped the nicks and chips were only in the film.

Had the film removed and it was as i suspected, the chips were through the film and into the paint. (on a side note, after seeing what little protection the film provided, I'm not sure i would reapply).

Anyway, I went to the premier auto body place here in Austin. They have a separate division that handles high-end cars. I had them paint the bumper, hood and fenders. I am definitely OCD when it comes to the care and feeding of the car.

It turned out better than i had imagined. The paint work was perfect. I had the shop place notes on the invoice that read: paintwork for rock chips only, or similar wording, I can't remember exactly. So in the end, I have a brand new 08 car and i'm very very happy with the work. Its absolutely perfect. The downside is that the paintwork was pretty darn expensive.

Its been 4 months. For now I use one of those ugly black bras until i decide whether to clear bra or not. I tape up the areas that might get burnished. And I don't really care if others think its ugly (it really is) but when i take it off, I have perfect (expensive, LOL) paintwork.

Here are a few pics from the work done.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I would suggest that any Ferrari that had been driven properly with at least 7500 miles and has a perfect front paint has been repainted. That is just the simple reality. If you want a perfect front end, then it needs to be a garage queen with low miles and this a price premium. I don't think a front respray has any negative effect on resale value of it was done properly and not for mechanical repair due to wreck or impact.

Putting a clear bra over damaged area to "disguise" the small chips is not advisable. The next time the clear bra is removed, it will likely pull paint in that area as it comes off.

Decide if you want a front refresh or drive it as is. If you want it to look better, then refinish the entire front (bumper, bonnet, fenders, and windshield frame, mirrors. Then clear bra the new front end.

Don't forget to look at the rocker panels too, they are likely quite pitted underneath as well.

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    do the bumper and get it wrapped - less is more

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Steve

Are you really asking this? You are so non purists so spray wrap and drive it . If your shop is that good no one could tell .

I remember Tillman had front half of his car sprayed . Looks great for Over with over 120k. I drive too much to worry about this. Next year I will resprayed mine then drives as usually . I have better things to do then stress chip because if so the small dent where my son bike hit it would have me grey

14. wrcimprezza

wrcimprezza Karting

Apr 26, 2011
    Steve,

Are you aware that all F430 cars were painted with PPG paints and recieved the "Ceramiclear" 2K scratch resistant lacquer (which is not scratch resistant btw). From my experience of measuring the thickness and polishing the car this lacquer is very hard and takes a good amount of cutting/polishing to remove swirl marks.

If you have any of the body panels repainted how do you know what produsts are used; let's be honest who ever bothers to ask?. Looks wise it should not matter but it might matter if you have the car detailed in the future, I would hate the detailer to get a feel for the amount of polishing required by starting on the roof only to get to the hood and cut stright through the reianted product!

My vote is to leave the paint as factory original and to touch up stone chips but I can see why others would want to respray.

JJ

15. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    #15 phrogs, Jan 23, 2016

The detailer should be smart enough not to.burn through. If he does burn through your mystery repaint. So what. Its not original anymore anyway he or she will be paying to fix it.

But really any paint shop will make sure you know what the car was painted with your paperwork for the work will say what was used. Shouldnt be sme crazy mystery. Or paint it yourself and youll k ow exactly what it was painted with.

16. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll have the discussion with the paint shop as well.

Don Juan, I agree with you, it's really more of me wondering what others think of paint work on these cars. I plan on painting the nostrils to body color anyways so I'm definitely not a purist. I won't do anything that can't be reversed to original however. :)

17. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I might come to regret my decisions on modifying my F430 when it is time to sell. However, I won't let the perceive resale value to interfere with my fun and happiness. I'll do what I want, and deal with the consequences when the time comes.

18. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1 What Andre said!!!

19. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Personally I rather have a car with perfect paint, even if repainted then an untouched car with stone chips all over the front end.
    If you have the front bumper or front clip of a car refinished by a highly respected shop thats specializes in Ferraris and or other high end cars I dont see an issue.
    You cant possibly enjoy these cars without a stone chip or two or the dreaded front bumper scape on driveways.
    Enjoy and drive!

20. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I know this is my first post but I do have experience with XPEL on vehicles. My son recently bought a brand new WRX. In the little time he drove it before he had the wrap put on, he had accumulated a few chips (BTW - Subaru paint is thin!). He had a very reputable place apply XPEL to the hood, front bumper, quarter panels and rockers. Prior to the XPEL application we clayed and polished the vehicle. We also did some minor touch ups for the rock chips. After the XPEL was applied, there were small "bubbles" in the location of the chips. After talking to two different installers, they both said that this will happen when you apply XPEL over rock chips. I had another vehicle wrapped but I did this when the vehicle was new (no chips). The wrap looks much better!

So for you, it is probably better to paint and apply the wrap because you probably wont be satisfied otherwise. my .02

21. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Interesting thread and some very good points on either side of the discussion. I feel a few small nicks here and there just add to the charm of the car. It shows you are driving it and enjoying it. Ok, so I don't have any nicks as there is a clear bra on my car. However I have done a good job of putting scrapes under the bumber(garage is on a slight hill). Initially I was all upset and now I am more calm about it.

22. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    Steve,

If you have any repainting done, pick the panel you want to copy regarding the precise color, then have the shop determine the precise color of the “good” panel with a METER. DO NOT use the number from boot lid (for example: 322 for Rosso Corsa (on my 430)). If your shop wants to just use 322, go somewhere else. It will NOT be close enough.

I had a very skilled painter repair and repaint my rocker panels and the front bumper. All the damage was due to scrapes on the very bottom of those three parts. He did a perfect repair job and then matched the color perfectly, painting only the bottom where he had repaired, then clear-coating the whole part. The only problem was that he put his paint meter on each part, which, as it turned out, had been repainted previously, in a slightly but noticeably lighter RC. Since the previous repaint was wrong, THIS repaint was wrong. Once I picked out the difference, I couldn’t leave it alone. I also noted that the REAR bumper was also DARKER than the rear fenders. I will be having all four parts repainted. Again.

This time, though, I took the whole car to my painter and had him put his meter on the best looking part of the car which turned out to be the boot lid and the front fenders. He sprayed out FOUR test coupons, including the meter-measured color times two, 322, and a fourth (source unknown) and mailed them to me. I placed the coupons on each panel of the car in incandescent and fluorescent artificial lights, and, overcast and full sunlight. Quite quickly, I eliminated the non-meter colors from contention. Ultimately, I chose two colors, one meter-determined color and the other meter-color that was ever-so-slightly different. Wish me luck.

I will be having the repainted areas re-PPFed which seems better than naked.

Tom
    2007 F430F1 Coupé (Izzy)

23. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Where did you get the black bra? I would like to use one on long trips.

I am having my whole front end repainted soon as well. I have a few scrapes and a few hundred rock chips. I will not install a clear bra.

24. daviddallas

daviddallas Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    I just went through this same situation last year. I had a lot of rockchips on the front bumper and a number on the hood. I debated on just getting the bumper repainted only and fill in the hood.I decided to get the whole front-end done, bumpers, hood, and fenders. And I'm glad I did. They matched the color up perfectly and if looks like a whole new paint job.
    Then I had a clear bra installed. . Very happy I went this route..

25. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    David
    Same experience as mentioned earlier. Question: What company did you use for the clear bra? And are you happy with the install?