Opinions/ advice on paint work. F430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Opinions/ advice on paint work. F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by gandalfthegray., Jan 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    How much approx to get the bumper, hood and fenders painted?

2. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Tom, after reading I realize that my OCD has nothing on yours. haha I have no doubt that you will have a perfect end result. Thanks for the tip on the color samples. My shop uses a special camera to take pictures and then analyze the paint to get perfect match. Maybe similar to what you speak of? I know they were able to get an undetectable match on my pearl orange Gallardo and I'm told that's not easy to do.

This is most likely my path.

Haven't got the actual quote yet, but I'm guessing $2k - $3k? I'm sure one of the others will chime in. On a side note, I sent you a PM maybe 2 weeks back, did you ever see it?

3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    On mine, it was $8900 (ouch) for bumper, hood and fenders including removal of headlights, shields, front/side grills, painting the air inlets and installing skid plates. Took 3 weeks.

4. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    Steve,

That sounds correct. My painter’s meter was as big and similarly proportioned as a medium-sized book and included several standards for calibration. It was marketed by Akzo Nobel which also produces his favorite paint, Akzo Nobel Sikkens. The paint is pricey at about $700 a gallon, but Joe swears by it and I am impressed with the results.

Yes, OCD can be a curse, but, as said, once one (OK, me) see’s that mismatch, one just cannot ignore it any longer. So, I say make it right and then you aren’t required to “live with it”. A good match would then not require “stories” (or a price reduction) for a sale of the car.

My painter (Joe Hall, Moore, OK) charged $2025 to repair and repaint both rocker panels and the front bumper. I removed and stripped all three parts before delivery to him, then re-installed after the re-paint. I also had him refinish the semi-gloss black paint under the hood and the front door jambs which were flaking, on the car and in a separate operation for $3800.

Tom
    2007 F430F1 Coupé (Izzy)

5. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Tom, great info. Under my hood looks good but I as well have flaking in the door areas. They must have to remove the doors in order to repair, correct?

6. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    Steve,

I think he did remove the doors as it is quite tight in there if you don't. The area needed a lot of preparation to assure the new paint didn't just flake off like the original. Joe definitely understands that preparation and cleanliness is 90 percent of a good paint job.

(Probably the original) dealer mounted the rear license plate holder too high and off center, so Joe also repainted the trapezoid-shaped area where the rear plate goes and polished the whole car after doing the three black areas in that $3800 job.

Tom
    2007 F430F1 Coupé (Izzy)

7. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Ferrari of Houston quoted me $5000 for the same, less the skid plates, which should only be about one hour of labor with the bumper off of the car.

Stunning that an independent would be so much more than a dealership!

8. FN117

FN117 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Hong Kong
    #33 FN117, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. daviddallas

daviddallas Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    I used Stuarts for the paint,, it ran $4000

Used invisabra, and very happy with the look.

10. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Prob $10K job for the entire body?

11. FN117

FN117 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Cost around $8000 with OEM Glasurit paint, plus one broken shield when dismantled.
    Also painted the engine bay panels which blistered around the screw holes.
    Opened headlights and polished interior.

12. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    $8000 for whole car repaint seems a great deal!

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey

Ouch!! Is right . That was Ferrari tax being added . That no more than 3k job

14. daviddallas

daviddallas Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    FYI - Stuarts is whom my local ferrari dealer uses, so I knew I was going to get a good job done. Yep, if I hadn't taken it to the dealer, I'm sure it world have cost quite a bit more for the same job.