Opinions On Color Change | FerrariChat

Opinions On Color Change

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by beatboy77, Mar 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beatboy77

beatboy77 Karting

Apr 22, 2017
    Colorado Springs
    Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on doing a professional re-paint on a 458 to a different color? To a more desirable color. Say yellow to red. Would this hurt value greatly?

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Yes it would hurt value significantly, not to mention being expensive on its own.

No body shop paint job can match factory. Factory they paint the car using robots before it is assembled and they can bake it to extremely high temperatures. Body shops obviously cannot do this.

There’s literally hundreds of 458 Italia listed for sale in the US. There should be no reason to buy one and immediately repaint it.

3. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    YES!!!

Viperjoe likes this.
  4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

You betcha.

5. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    That might be a good thing considering the thread on Pista paint issues..........

Jim

LI2782 likes this.
  6. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Agree with the other "don't repaint it" opinions.

Jim

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    To do a proper color change job you would basically have to disassemble the car to get at all the visible areas. Hardly worth it.

8. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Would hurt it significantly even if done well. Maybe consider a vinyl wrap instead, though i dont think you can get the same effect with it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ScottS likes this.
  9. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Insanity.

Napoli and of2worlds like this.
  10. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    If you don't mind to torpedo your immediate resale value, go for it.

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Technically you cant change the colour perfectly unless you strip the car 100%. That will still devalue it but even more so if you don't. And to strip the car plus devalue , just buy another car which will save you money and heartache. DONT DO IT

12. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    Then again, Ferrari changed the color on the Enzo that crashed on the Pacific Coast Highway. It went from red to black and sold for 1.75 million dollars.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

13. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I disagree. While the factory does use robots (and rotary bell spray equipment), plenty of shops can actually do better. In fact, I believe the one off stuff is sent to a special shop to paint.

That said, I don't recommend a color change lightly. The only way to do it properly it to fully disassemble the car. Not inexpensive to say the least.

Club84Rob likes this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I would agree , I have seen plenty first class sprayers that would be classified better than factory. But as you and I have pointed out the car would need to be stripped to be done perfectly. Every chip would need to be filled. This is an expensive task, which I have gone through before rebuilding a MR2. I saved on cost disassembling and reassembling the car myself but the paint job was about 25 k, twice the value of the car ! All lost money but it was a passion which kept me entertained for 5 years.

Club84Rob likes this.
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The no's have it!

16. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    First thing is to find a painter that is known in the automotive world that paints show cars so when you talk about the paint job by so and so painter, people will understand the level of quality. Second part is can you do most of the disassembly and ship the car to the shop this will save you big time. Let them reassemble and do all the body gaps to show car standards. A one-off professional paint color change will be any where from 25k to 60k depending on how close you want to get to a 100 point paint job could be more if engine needs to come out. This should not be done because you don't like the color, this should be done because you want a unique color for a car you love and understand that you will probably lose value+the cost of the paint process.