Opinions on line-lock as a park brake/308? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Opinions on line-lock as a park brake/308?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by greg328, Nov 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot

2. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Wil,
    Sure sounds more simple than machining the uprights, buying 2 expensive calipers, fabbing brackets, modifying the calipers to pull laterally, etc........

OK, line lock it is.....

Now, which one? There's a bunch on Summit's website. Anybody care to recommend one?

Greg

3. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    I understand how a normal parking brake works... I should have been more clear though, it's not mush, it's that it has an essentially uniform pressure from the top of the pedal stroke to the bottom. The bottom is slighly harder, but no where near the increased force one encounters with a normal cable operated pb. ie, there's not point where the cable reaches its stretch limit and the pedal stops. It's not that the cable's misadjusted or unlubed (MY2004), it's working properly, that's how it's designed. You do have to put a decent amount of pedal pressure in, but that's not the point, b/c even if I stood with both feet on the Jeep's pb (cable) it would only go so far... until the cable snapped.

Referring back to post 10, a lincoln uses a hydraulic pb, so I'm not sure how they get around the legalities of it, but apparently it can be done. I'll probably swing by the old man's this weekend, I'll see if I get a chance to slide under there and take a look. Theoretically, it could be that the pedal is dampened, the pb auto adjusts, and is set so that the cable becomes "fully" tensioned at exactly the point where the pedal reaches the floor. This is GM though we're talking about...

Stumbled across a line-lock diagram, IIRC, the other line-lock thread had some examples from Mark, one electric, one mechanical.
    http://www.motorsportsdigest.com/install-ll.htm