Opinions Please: F430, F360, F355 or Gallardo | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Opinions Please: F430, F360, F355 or Gallardo

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FMV, Nov 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

I feel like this at times. The fun I have driving my 3.2 Carrera around far exceeds the thrill of the F430. Like MOST of us, I don't share the talent to exploit the chassis of a new really high performance exotic. So my 3.2 or my 2001 996 Carrera are just what I need for the moment. If I sell the F430 I think I'll be looking for a Boxer or 512TR and will add either a 308 or 328 along with any of those two in the stable. Damn a Testarossa and a 360 would be sweet. Good thing there are choices.

2. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    So how is the 328 treating you?

3. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Yep, I found myself having more fun in my underpowered 993 than in my 6.0 Diablo, which I have since sold. Now looking for a vintage car that I can drive for fun and in events. (We had a ball this past summer driving the Targa Florio in a brutal little 50's Triumph- a true piece of crap, but visceral, totally involving to drive, and downright thrilling at the speed limit!). Given the price of 50's and early 60's Ferraris, I have set my sights elsewhere. (But, I wouldn't have given up the Ferrari experience I have had so far- frankly, the Boxer was the most involving to drive of all of them, and one of the cheapest F-Cars I've owned).

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Very nicely. I was an idiot for not buying this car five or 10 years sooner.

In the last two years, the car has needed a fuel accumulator ($250) and a coolant hose ($9).

5. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #55 Attitude928, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
    I'm an old car kind of guy...but for fun, my 13 year old son and i spent the afternoon with GDC driving a 430, Gallardo, Murci, SLR65 AMG, DB9 convertible and Bentley Convertible. The 430 was the most fun and had the best sounding engine...a melodic growl... (my Khamsin sounds brutally louder though...more to my liking). The 430 paddle shifters were fun and easier to handle than a manual clutch. We tore down a weaving mountain at wicked speeds [the 605hp Benz was also real fast downhill (acceleration & grip), but it was not like driving that Ferrari]. When the pace car, the Benz and "our" 430 made it down the hill (we lost the cars behind us), I found myself screaming on the Mike..."I'M NOT GIVING THIS CAR UP!" The pace car laughed & told me that i drove down the hill like an animal... The Gallardo was easier for me to drive quicker than the Murci. The Gallardo had great uphill torque. It felt a little tinny and the sound of the engine was not memorable. Driving the Murci was, of course, a real treat...but it had lousy visibility when switching lanes (sort of like a horse with reflective blinders...?shining carbon fiber kept making me think that cars were passing me from behind)...it was like driving a really fast Vette with amorphous corners. Oddly enough, we enjoyed the DB9 second best. We mainly did highway driving with it though...weaving at 120 until the car started whistling from the speed...

355 or 430 is my vote for the most fun.

6. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    The only definitive answer is going to be found by driving them yourself. Everyone has their opinions, and that's the beauty of these cars. They each have unique characteristics that make them great/ but different from the others. Find which ones you can appreciate the most. I've owned a 355 spider and now 430 spider 6-speed. Two very different cars IMO. 355 is smaller (size and feel) but quirky (driving position- steering wheel/ foot pedals). This isn't a bad thing, but it does distinguish it from others. It requires more work but in return is very rewarding when you hit it right. It is not as forgiving/ won't save you like a 430. Sound with a Tubi is unbeatable. Belt change is "cha-ching". Did I mention the sound is orchestral. The 430 on the other hand feels more streamlined/ modern. Gives you options as to how much safety you want to have (track vs road). Exhaust is great, but not as good as 355 with Tubi IMO. Acceleration/ grip/ ease of lowering top/ chain vs belt access/ ceramic brakes- all pluses with 430. Hope these personal opinions help, but bottom line as you have indicated already is to drive them yourself. Good luck.

7. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    #57 Bluehinder, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'll be different, just for conversation.

430>360>R8 at msrp>Gallardo>355

The R8 is the value car. The Italians are more fun, but the R8 at $130K or so, is a blast and can be fixed down the street. Plenty exotic and fun.

430 if cost is no object.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005

The newest car with the warranty would have less out of pocket expense. In terms of value and depreciation the Modena is the right car. Sure the 355 is less tricky in corners and makes louder noise:) once you factor the expense you may reconsider. The F430 if I am not mistaken is Maserati derived unlike the 3 Pairs. The Gallardo is not purely Lambo but sounds lovely and the all wheel drive makes is a safer car and I do like the interior.

If I had to pick one passion aside and the 360 would be my pick though a 355-spider at $60k valve job done would be tempting.

Let us know what you pick

9. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3

Actually from Delphi via Lord Corporation

Here is what I say about Ferraris:

"Ferraris have serial numbers, Fiats have a VIN"

Honestly I would absolutely buy a Gallardo or Murcielago over the new Ferraris, I'm just tired of the crap.

Jay

10. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Not at all. Ferrari design the engine and used it in a Maserati, then worked on it changed a lot of things and is Ferrari engine just like it was at the beginning. That I know no parts can be shared among the two of them.

11. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike

+1000. I think Gallardos sound a bit better as well.

12. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Good point, so it was used First in Maserati 4200 4.2L before Ferrari F430 4.3L :)

The 4308cc V8 is an all-new design instead of an evolution of the old V8, whose history can date back to the 348-era. It shares the basic aluminum block with Maserati’s 4.2-litre V8, with 1mm longer stroke accounting for the increased capacity. Like the 360 engine, it runs a flat-plane crankshaft (unlike Maserati's fully-balanced cross-plane crankshaft), sacrifices a little refinement in exchange for lightness, hence higher rev and power. Other reciprocating moving parts are also lightweight items, including forged aluminum pistons and titanium connecting rods. In order to enhance thermal efficiency, the engine runs a 11.3:1 compression, up from the 360 and Maserati’s 11.1:1.

http://www.autozine.org/html/Ferrari/F430.html

13. I think the suspension was actually a Delphi product. Magna and Delphi are two companies that actually build many components for many manufacturers, sometimes whole cars, and increasingly they have been engineering quite cutting edge technology.

I agree badging is just badging, and everybody requires components to some degree. What, is Ferrari going to smelter their own steel and mine copper for their own electrical lines?

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm not so wild about the 360

355 is nice but Ive heard the quality is not that great

Latest Gallardo 560 looks very cool

430 Scuderia would be my # 1 choice, then 430 spyder

15. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I just looked over my post and can't believe my grammar, lol.

16. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Audi,in their great wisdom, has made the R8 very low production, therefore its next to impossible to get for less than 30k above msrp..this puts the car above used gallardo and 360 prices and not much cheaper than early model 430 coupes.......

17. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I would rather own a '04 Gallardo over a 360, but either one many times over an Audi R8. The only way I would rather buy the R8 is if my economic situation asks for it, and I'm talking about running costs which includes maintenance.