Options and Resale Value | FerrariChat

Options and Resale Value

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Booker, Jan 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    https://mclarenchat.com/forum/news/1461

This Senna has 360k in options and it made me wonder, how will this affect resale? I know some options and custom decisions often make cars HARDER to sell, but I'm interested in if someone would pay a premium for all of those options and how much might that be? Surely not a 360k premium... or am I wrong? Therefore, is it smart to get this many options? I guess if you keep the car forever the answer is moot

2. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
  3. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Interesting topic. As a "wanna be" Mac owner, I want to know what items I can use to beat-up on on potential sellers. :rolleyes:

4. Tides

Tides Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Start by telling him that he has a great car thats worth more than u are willing to pay for it - he should fall for that one

5. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    ROFL;):D - Thanx, Tides. Incidentally, does anyone here have experience with CF brakes in daily driving? Generally, I hear that they are great on the track, but 'not so' for daily driving.

6. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Well the 570GT is about as far away from a Senna as you can get in the McLaren world, but the 570GT that I got had wheels I liked, Sport exhaust, and CM brakes that I wanted, but told seller that I didn't.

7. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Things like a roof scoop make the car more desirable, but you still get at most half the return of the cost of the item. Think of it like mods to a car. Getting half the cost returned is good.

People look for the least expensive car advertised and then beat up your resale based on that. Having 200k more into the car doesn’t much matter. In the Senna example I doubt you’d get 180 more than the least expensive car listed assuming similar miles and color.

8. Cargt63

Cargt63 Karting

Aug 12, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Sadly enough these cars are mostly bought as a trophy to show off by people who have more money than sense. I doubt resale value is given much if any consideration. Just see how little miles these cars have driven when they come to market. They are mainly looked at instead if driven. Of course there are exceptions. Those folks are my heroes.

9. Jack Syage

Jack Syage Rookie

Jul 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jack Albert Syage
    Happily I can say at Fast Toy track events in SoCal (e.g., Fontana, Willow Springs), the McLaren's are always out in force (at least a half dozen). Maybe you see one Ferrari or Lambo. Even talked to a gent who shipped his Senna in from Montana and raced it. You do see a number of Porsche GT3s. McLaren owners are the truest of enthusiasts!

10. SpawnyWhippet

SpawnyWhippet Rookie

Mar 7, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Andy Dickens
    I go to a lot of track days in NorCal, the ratio of Porsche GT3 to McLaren (of any type) would be more like 50:1. ie, I see at minimum 10 GT3 at each event, but don't see more than 1 McLaren in 5 events. Usually around 50% of the field is Porsche, the rest would be a mixed bag of BMW, Miata, random trailered track monsters (former race cars, Radicals and similar) and the very occasional exotic (Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus, Noble). I never see Lamborghini's.

11. Jack Syage

Jack Syage Rookie

Jul 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jack Albert Syage
    Newport McLaren down here is very active with these track events getting the word out and sending people up there to take care of tire pressure, wrap your hood and take care of any glitches that may occur. Certainly was the impetus for my getting out there.

SpawnyWhippet likes this.