Ordered New Pirelli Trofeo R Tires turned out its 3 years old | FerrariChat

Ordered New Pirelli Trofeo R Tires turned out its 3 years old

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dantheman0406, Apr 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Is this new sets of tires safe to drive around the track ?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. dantheman0406

dantheman0406 Rookie

Feb 1, 2017
    Hi,

I recently purchased a new set of Trofeo R for upcoming track days, but when I got home and found out it was manufactures August of 2015, Is this set of tires consider new or not ? Would be safe to driving around in track.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    they are probably classified by the manufacturer as new. In indoor moderately protected storage they are not exposed to UV or excessive heat or cold. Most tire suppliers will replace them if pushed. Your argument is that they will most likely not be removed for tread wear but age.. US DOT recommends replacement after 6-10 years from the stamped date

most high end car manufacturers say six years. Not sure what Ferrari says.

If you are going to track the car a lot, you could try to get them replaced by the tire shop that sold them to you. If you drive normally most of the time and you keep the car indoors in conditioned storage.. you can probably ignore it.

If you are worried about resale in a few years... again push back with your tire supplier. they will be costing you money at resale

Since they are most likely out of dry, conditioned storage... you shouldnt have issues. Make it a habit regardless that you inspect your tires at least weekly or any track day. its a good idea if you keep them or replace them

dantheman0406 likes this.
  3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Some one told me that some states will fail inspection if the tires are 8 years old. True?

4. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I have not heard that, as you could have a low-mile tire on a car that has been stored in a responsible way for 10 years which is still good. Most states with an inspection regimen have a section just for the pass/fail requirements for tires. Typically, these are inspecting tread depth and wear, as well as dry-rotting and irregularities in the sidewall. As I mentioned above, there is no rule I know of that requests that the DOT code has to be less than 8 years ago.

My company (Continental) says that tires should be fine for 10 years, provided annual inspections are performed for years 5-10.

As far as the OP, since these are tires that will be used for track days, and I would wager that you'll use them up well before the 8 years stated above, which would be 2023. On one Audi R8 forum, I was able to see that OEM Pirelli PZeros were getting 12-15k miles, and the equivalent Trofeo R (for street use) is 3-5k. I'm not sure you would get anywhere near that with track use.

TLDR; those tires are just fine. A production date that 'old' on a low turnover tire is expected. Plus, it appears you've already got them mounted to wheels, so it might be a hassle trying to swap them at this point.

5. dantheman0406

dantheman0406 Rookie

Feb 1, 2017
    Just got back from Pirelli performance tires lasts 8 years, non-performance tire last 10 years.They offers me $150 and plus rebates. After seeing Nwts328 and you post, I think I will go for these tires, since its already on and alignment was done already. Next time I will be more careful on selecting tires.

krazykarguy likes this.
  6. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I think that’s a good offer/deal. You still have 5 years to track the tires to death and by then we’ll either be 3D printing our own, or banned from using cars anyway!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk