Ordered the 812SF | FerrariChat

Ordered the 812SF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by tomorrow, Nov 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomorrow

tomorrow Rookie

Nov 8, 2017
    USA
    Hello all,

Just placed my order for the 812SF to add to my 458 Spider. When I ordered the spider 6 years ago, I thought it was the perfect car, that it would be my only Ferrari, that I would be set for life. Little did I know that it would be the beginning of what looks to be a long love affair with what I consider the best cars in the world.

The 812 is a bit of an impulsive purchase, as recently as last week I had not really planned to buy it, instead looking at used F12s, but I am picky and it is hard to get the right spec if you do not order new. Furthermore while the aesthetics of the 812 are controversial, there is no doubt in my mind that it will be a better driving experience.

Delivery will be in approx 2 yrs (!). Dealer says he can bump me up if I buy a new 488 coupe that he has in stock. I am considering it. Though it may be too similar to 458 to justify owning both and I do not wish to sell.

In recent days I have been browsing this forum to get spec ideas. I had planned to do a special paint, but at $27k, and with many of the in-range colors suiting this car nicely, it perhaps is not necessary. I haven’t done much research on options yet and plan to do it over time (nice benefit of being lower on the waiting list), but if anyone has already gone through the process and would like to share advice, it would be much appreciated!

Ciao,
    T

of2worlds and jumpinjohn like this.
  2. lanpa8

lanpa8 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    If you buy 488 how much of a bump will you get?

jumpinjohn likes this.
  3. tomorrow

tomorrow Rookie

Nov 8, 2017
    USA
    Unfortunately the 488 sold already. It wouldn't have been much, maybe 6 months sooner. I mainly was interested in the 488 on its own merits, not for the bump.

4. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    2 year wait! Thats nuts.

Maybe you can close a deal on the 812 with the premise of a secure 812 "racing version" (a la TDF). Doubt it would work, but worth a try if you put some money down now and they give you something in writing.

5. tomorrow

tomorrow Rookie

Nov 8, 2017
    USA
    When I inquired about 812 "TDF" I was told the factory selects which customers get those allocations. Dealer only submits names. I suspect that one needs an extensive collection or Challenge participation to qualify.

T.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've spoken to a dealer for my friend who wants to order a 812 (he has a 458 now). Same deal - 2 years and they don't even know the prices yet :D

IMO, keep the 458 - much nicer car than a 488 (IMO)