Ordering Portofino Suggestions for colors and options | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ordering Portofino Suggestions for colors and options

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Florida Joe, Jan 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
  2. Cali from CT

Cali from CT Rookie

Jun 27, 2018
    Naples, FL
    I considered the new Portofino as well. The idea of a Ferrari to my personal specifications was exciting until the dealer quoted MSRP. I decided on a one-owner '15 Cali with 4700 miles with an original MSRP of $251k. Bought it for about $95k off MSRP with a one year extended factory warranty. In other words, the new Ferrari buyer takes the the biggest depreciation hit. That said, if I was ordering a new Portofino, I have the following comments: Like you, I've been partial to silver cars, but I went into the search process believing that red, specifically Rosso Corsa, was the only way to own a Ferrari. Dealer sales person told me white, yes white, was the most popular color followed by red. Argento silver and black followed though I'm not sure if silver out-sold black or vice-versa. Once I saw the Argento silver, however, I never considered red again. It's purely a personal choice, of course, but for me, the silver won the day and works best with the Beige (not cream) interior. In terms of options, definitely the shields. And, with the silver, yellow brake calipers play well with the yellow shields.I absolutely love the Magna-ride option because I wanted GT comfort without losing the full sport setting. Twenty-inch diamond cut wheels in light gray (silver) are absolutely stunning if you don't mind the slight trade-off in ride quality vs. the 19" wheels. Power seats and heated seats work well for resale especially in the Northeast. Appleplay is very much in, but as a $3k or $4k option, Ferrari is taking advantage of buyers since it's standard equipment in a Honda Accord and many other cars. Horse on the seats is as desirable as the shields. There are numerous leather options at considerable cost that don't necessarily impact resale, but may be personally appealing. You may also consider the insulated windshield if your're a Florida driver, but you can do away with this if you intend to hold for only three years. Good luck. You'll love the car.

3. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    My dealer said it best- the only real driver of resale is MILES.

I'm out because I drive my cars.

Options?
    PF is not your standard Ferrari or so they say- so color- get your preference. My Cali is silver and the PF we saw at the Factory in Silver and Grigio Silverstone were spectacular unfinished! To me it is not a red car. I'll buy either of those colors, but am waiting on the HS version and I want racing seats which I am told are not yet available? If I could, I would go Grigio Coburn or Pure SIlver and ignore the cost. Real life options- AFS, Magna ride, upgraded stereo. Interior- Black/charcoal for me but for classic look- tan/couio/Natural with a black dash. I'm not sure the LEDS are necessary and the resale value on carbon is poor. Cars sell faster but the Moneyball perspective is you pay more and resale is the same percentage, so your depreciation is more. That said, it seems CF bridge and display surround add to the look. I will not go with CF driver zone/dash but would opt for Painted dash in Black or in the case of a red car, exterior color. This look rocks and is less expensive than CF as well as rarer. Many do not know it is on the menu.

Those are my thoughts as a Cali owner.
    As mentioned above, if you are value conscious, the best PF is a near new Cali T HS. Just sayin.

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Unless something drastic changes in my life relatively soon I probably won’t ever order a new Ferrari, the loss in depreshiation is too steep for me to feel comfortable. With all that said the Cali T looks like a better pill to swallow especially the way I have seen prices slide over the past few months. Still room for deprishiation but a lot easier to live with and has less issues then the earlier models with a bit more power and better interior styling. I know a lot of people have issue with the exaust note and I agree the T doesn’t sound as good as the earlier NA California’s but I can’t really complain and if it gets to me that bad I can replace the exaust or add electric valve controller.

5. Cali from CT

Cali from CT Rookie

Jun 27, 2018
    Naples, FL
    Actually, above 3500 RPM, I think the exhaust note is pretty cool, more so at the higher RPM range.

6. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I didn’t mind the change in the ones I’ve rented before though there have been plenty of other folks that did mind the difference. Guess I’m just getting older and don’t care if whatever I drive is loud all the time. Over all I think I like the Cali T most followed by the Cali 30.