Oregon McLaren F1 Destroyed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Oregon McLaren F1 Destroyed

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by TheStradman, Jun 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #26 kiesan, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    True 'dat. However that was the last street F1 produced and it had delivery miles only:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/10/41-million-for/

"So why did this particular Magnesium Silver F1 fetch so much coin? Well, for starters, it is immaculate and only has 300 flippin miles on the odometer. It is also the last roadgoing F1 ever produced and was the factory’s flagship car for many years. Regardless of condition though, F1s are super rare - just 69 examples (including the 5 prototypes) were built for road use by the time production ended."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #27 Peloton25, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
    There are a couple of problems with your theory. For starters, the fire originated in the engine bay, not the passenger compartment. Also, the owner later corrected the portion of the original story relating to monetary value versus insured value. The insured value is the smaller figure at $2M, an unfortunate reality for him, especially if the cost to repair the car exceeds that. It really doesn't take long to sell a McLaren if someone needed to cash out, even in this economic climate, and likely for as much or more than the insured value in this case. The owner also loved the car tremendously and is sick over the loss according to close friends. Suggesting he would be responsible for the incident, and essentially accusing him of trying to commit insurance fraud without all the facts, is terribly irresponsible of you.

Almost all the McLaren F1s that were built still exist today. Only a small handful have been written off completely. In most cases the factory is able to repair even fairly heavy damage and return an F1 to like-new condition, including this particular car, which had been damaged in a crash back in early 2000 with a previous owner. After seeing photos of the fire damage on this F1, the second article from the PressDemocrat states the even the McLaren factory has given this one a 50/50 chance of being repaired again.

Finally, as for your claim of F1s overheating at slow speeds, that's a pretty rare occurrence according to owners I have spoken with, usually only occuring in very hot weather. The car can be fitted with larger radiators by the factory in order to minimize or eliminate the issue.

A lot of truth in your post. :) The F1 road car that sold for $4M had a unique history and was still essentially still brand new, even though it was built almost 12 years earlier. Reports from folks who were there in London, and from watching the video of it crossing the block, clearly show that a bidding war between two parties who both seemed committed to take this particular F1 home developed, and that led to the record sale price. Standard McLaren F1 values have been in the $2M-$3M range for the past couple years (barring a few notable exceptions in need of work) and the London sale by RM definitely served to reinforce those figures. The perceived future value of the F1 and the fact that it is seen as a modern day version of the 250 GTO will continue to elevate their prices over time.

Unfortunately, though that has been widely reported, it's most definitely an inaccurate statement. Even RM has corrected it in their auction description after being informed that detail and a few others they had weren't completely correct. A portion of their addendum reads: "The McLaren F1/065 was not the last road-going F1 ever produced."

The facts: Chassis #065 was 52nd in the overall F1 road car build order of 64 production F1s. It was 5th in order of 11 F1 road cars McLaren built in 1997. Then they built the final six F1 road cars in early 1998. The cars were completed out of order based on chassis number in many cases, and there are also gaps in the chassis number sequence. That explains why the last F1 road car chassis number is #075, even though only 64 were built. The five prototypes of the F1 road car had chassis numbers XP1 through XP5 and were not included in the production sequence.

>8^)
    ER

3. 4RE42

4RE42 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2006
    Salem, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael & Melinda
    Erik,

Enjoyed your post. -- lots of info.

Thanks, michael brown

4. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Did they ever determine the cause?

5. FerrariGuy2007

FerrariGuy2007 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2007
    Beaverton, Or
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Smith
    Jonny

As far as i know not yeat it's being shipped over to McLaren so there guys can do a over hall on the car and find out what went wrong

I'm sure as they fine thing it will get leaked to sites or the owner him self will post what happened since it's all over the net

Nick

6. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #32 Peloton25, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. confu1

confu1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2010
    CA
    Thanks for posting the update to the story. Great read.

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Excellent ending for the owner, good on Hagerty insurance as well.

9. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Awesome! I love the fact it still is wearing Oregon tags.

10. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Great to hear that it was properly repaired and heading back to the NW!!!

11. 4RE42

4RE42 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2006
    Salem, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael & Melinda
    Wow!!

That is great news. Thanks for the update. I heard the owner is VERY down-to-earth and very nice. I was at the Sunriver car show and he actually gave some rides.

mike

12. M Baker

M Baker Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2010
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great article, thanks for the update.

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks for the update! Is the car in the Portland area?

14. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Sweet got to love Haggarty

15. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I've seen other people say very nice things about the owner. It was also conveyed that he was rather sick over the whole incident, less so because of the financial implications, but more because of just how much he loved the F1. I'm so glad to see him able to get his car back, good as new. :)

>8^)
    ER

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I was just thinking the same thing. If I'm a big time collector, I'm paying a lot of attention to this story.